Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me choose a risky option ...

Options
  • 09-03-2009 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am about to move into a new flat in a couple of weeks. The place is great but there is no internet. the building is new, I'd say 5 years max.
    No phone line has been activated since the flat has been occupied.
    I contacted NTL and they do not offer broadband in the building.
    Irish Broadband is only able to offer me the 1 or 2 Meg broadband in a box.
    BT would charge me 112 Euro to connect the phone line, and that could take up to 6 weeks. the like of Magnet are super ecpensive too.

2 Options are available to me:

Eircom told me that they're offering free line activation at the moment, and it takes about 10 days to connect it. Then they have to test the line and then, the broadband can be available... then it would be around 50 euro a month for the 3megs connection

OR

Broadband in a box 2Mb Download Speed 2Mb / Upload speed 256Kbps / Price 27.06a month, Activation Fee 37.65 No Ph line required and a contract of 12 mths with 10GB Traffic allowance

What I do on the net: Youtube - Eurosport Live Player - Boards - and the usual email ...

Help ... thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

wouldn't reccommend ripwave for streaming live tv, i've used it in the past and it was fine butt i got lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

I'd go with eircom if I were you, I'm not a big fan of wireless broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

Personally I would go with Eircom. It would be much more reliable over "Broadband in a Box" and save you a lot of heartache. The free connection would be alright and you would be free to switch to another ds provider after 6 months which would be slightly cheaper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Activate your line and then pick another DSL provider, doesn't have to be Eircom.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

the like of Magnet are super ecpensive too.

Can you actually get Magnet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

johnciall wrote: »
    wouldn't reccommend ripwave for streaming live tv, i've used it in the past and it was fine butt i got lucky
    That's also what I thought
    faoile@n wrote: »
    Personally I would go with Eircom. It would be much more reliable over "Broadband in a Box" and save you a lot of heartache. The free connection would be alright and you would be free to switch to another ds provider after 6 months which would be slightly cheaper.

Agreed
    Activate your line and then pick another DSL provider, doesn't have to be Eircom.

I think I will do that.
    Rorser wrote: »
    Can you actually get Magnet?

I can't remember if I called them, I called about 6 providers, magnet was expensive that s all I remember

Thank you all for the tips.

Where are you living? Where is the apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

I think if you avail of free connection you have to stay with Eircom for 6months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

loopymum wrote: »
    I think if you avail of free connection you have to stay with Eircom for 6months.
    They can't contract you for your calls.

So unless the only way to get a free connection is to sign up for broadband then this isn't true.

Eircom frequently give away free connection. If you live in an older house and just need a reconnection its normally very cheap (25 quid or so) or its free. Working in the area for a few years I can tell you that Eircom can be a little inconsistent with applying the charges at times but they do have a pricing guide.

• Advertisement

Rorser wrote: »
    Eircom frequently give away free connection. If you live in an older house and just need a reconnection its normally very cheap (25 quid or so) or its free. Working in the area for a few years I can tell you that Eircom can be a little inconsistent with applying the charges at times but they do have a pricing guide.

I am scared the line is going to fail once it's installed. It's a new ish building in clonsilla, just 5 years old maybe less.

Once the line has been installed, you guys know how long it can take to have the internet up and running?

Once the line has been installed, you guys know how long it can take to have the internet up and running?

To be honest eircom are not the worst, if they tell you that the line is capable for bb it normally is. In a few cases i have come accross customers who have been lead down the garden path by over eager sales reps but this usually doesnt happen.

Also remember its not the age of the house thats important its the quality of the line.

Advertisement