Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Check your Supermarket receipts

Options
  • 09-03-2009 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Twice in the past two weeks I have had to go to customer service in Tesco have to say they were very fair but on one occasion the price on a product was €1.49 but I was charged €1.99 and today I was charged €1.95 each on two products when they were supposed to be two for €3.00

This might be small change to some but what if you are doing a big weekly shop, in the rush we tend not to check the receipts to make sure we were given the discount on special offers.

So just in casey double check receipts and even if you're over charged by 5 cent or 5 euro it's your money they're taking and every little is supposed to help according to Tesco.

Can't fault their customer service though but will be more cautious in future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Did you get the three items for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Cammy86

I am always being over charged in Dunnes. I have to keep going back. When you do go back like I had to today they treat you like a piss of s--t. Dunnes in Letterkenny staff are so so rude and need to smile!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

been double charged for a few items in lidl before but never had problem getting refunded even when i left it for a week till i went in again and then brought it to managers attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I find the self service checkouts great for keeping an eye on the prices and special offers being applied but I guess you cannot use that with a shopping trolley.

Most people unfortunately don't check their receipts which is a pity as I can imagine there are often mistakes. It only takes about a minute or two to scan the receipt - that minute or two might save you a few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭funkydunkey

happened to me every week in tesco clarehall. last time i couldnt get to speak to a manager or anyone who would sort it. ive stopped going there altogether. you cant believe the prices displayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

if your over charged on anything in the gro in dunnes or tesco you can get a full refund......:):D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ken90

Happened to me 3-85 overcharged in Supeerquinn, Ballnteer on a special offer. Refunded, but very rudely, by CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

It happens about once a month with me , I always check my receipt everytime

Nice thing about it is you get the goods for free , certainly I have never had a problem getting a refund ( Tescos ).

I actually now hope to see mistakes so I can get my money back.

Now other supermarkets I don't know about , but I imagine Dunnes/Superquinn do the same , indeed Superquinn used to give you the goods for free if they didn't scan correctly ( only happened twice to me ).

By the way my Brother ( in the UK ) got a tank of free petrol because they were displaying the wrong price and he argued the toss.......

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Check them, if wrong in tesco go back and buy loads of that item, then you get them all for free. There are threads on Uk forums just listing pricing mistakes for this very intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is where the superscan comes in great in superquinn. You can check all the prices as you scan them and compare them against what's on the shelf.

It would be very easy to not notice being overcharged unless you had a bought an item specifically for the cost of it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

rubadub wrote: »
    Check them, if wrong in tesco go back and buy loads of that item, then you get them all for free. There are threads on Uk forums just listing pricing mistakes for this very intention.
    I like that idea, Im sick of Tesco nabbing people like this. They are well known for not discounting things like Bogof offers, you always have to check. Trouble is, Im not going to remember the price of 70 items from memory at the checkout, and Im hardly going around with a pen to write em down as I shop. I think thats why they know they can do it. 99.9% of people will have too big of a shop to notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I had this problem with Tesco.ie twice in the last two weeks. I bought four items that were advertised as half price on the site but that I realised were charged at full price I got the receipt.Last weeks total of the related over charge was €17!
    I rang and they charged it back to my card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I was allowed to pay the €1.49 instead of €1.99 for the first items and then with the 2 for one offer I got a full refund.

"I find the self service checkouts great for keeping an eye on the prices and special offers being applied but I guess you cannot use that with a shopping trolley."

Yeh I've started to use them a lot lately our local Tesco doesn't have those little scanners about the shop so you can double check the prices and our local Dunnes only has the one price checker.

Another reason I like the self service scanners is that you can bring a bucket load of change with 1 and 2 cent and 5 cent coins it's a great way to get rid of loose change. Best time to do it is when they aren't too busy coz there's always some pushy eejit behind you getting impatient. I hate those people who dump their basket on the scanner you're using and try and muscle in when your only just finishing up they do this even when there are other scanners available grrr.
    Mind you on many occasions the scanners don't work or go haywire half way through you using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Another reason I like the self service scanners is that you can bring a bucket load of change with 1 and 2 cent and 5 cent coins it's a great way to get rid of loose change. Best time to do it is when they aren't too busy coz there's always some pushy eejit behind you getting impatient. I hate those people who dump their basket on the scanner you're using and try and muscle in when your only just finishing up they do this even when there are other scanners available grrr.
    Tell them to f**k off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭compsys

Eh, this happens to me ALL the time in Tesco. It's great though as because of their no quibbles policy you're entitled to the item for free. I save loads of money shopping there! It happens so often that now I just take the price sticker off the shelf and bring it directly to customer services for my refund.
    If you buy the same stuff week in week out, as I'm sure most people do, it's not that hard to remember all the prices...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Happens all the time to me in SuperValu. They put specials on the shelves but don't update all their prices in the system. I pointed it out to one guy before who got a manager who went to the shelf, took down the sign and told me the offer was no longer valid.

I just buy my milk and bread there now. I can't be bothered explaining every time I buy something on special.

Advertisement