Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good place a to eat in Dublin city?

Options
  • 09-03-2009 10:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

I'm taking a young lady out on Saturday night for a meal for her birthday. Can you recommend any nice restaurants to go in Dublin city.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Go a little out of the city centre to Terenure and go to Brambles restaruant. Excellent food and price, it's been done up recently and i can't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I was in Bon Ga on Capel Street on Saturday night, it's a chinese all you can eat buffet, it was very very nice it was quite nicely priced too.

Da pino on Parliament street is great for italian as well.

Yamamori is great for japanese stuff too.

depends what kind of food ya want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

How young is she? Relationship to you?

Roly's in Ballsbridge, Luigi Malone in Temple bar, there's a Mongolian place in Temple bar as well beside Blooms hotel, Darwin's on Aungier st beside DBS.... The least is endless, it all depends on your preference :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

MIN2511 wrote: »
    How young is she? Relationship to you?

Roly's in Ballsbridge, Luigi Malone in Temple bar, there's a Mongolian place in Temple bar as well beside Blooms hotel, Darwin's on Aungier st beside DBS.... The least is endless, it all depends on your preference :)

She's the lady, 25 y.o. foreign girl.

thanks lads for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Da pino on Parliament street is great for italian as well.

Tiramisu outta there is amazing, pizzas are lovely but the tiramisu is the highlight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It might be appropriate to give an approximate budget if applicable. It's pointless recommending a €500 restaurant if your budget is €50. ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

just a word of warning. i was in luigi's for my birthday last month, i hadnt been there in about 5 years. the service and the food was horrendous, i couldnt wait to get out of the place. so much so, that we didnt have any desert or coffee (and i have to have coffee after my dinner)

and it was bloody freezing, we sat with our scarves on and we were right down the back. so a big no, no from me for luigi's

The Cedar Tree is lovely on Andrew Street, small, dark and romantic'ish:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Whats the budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Hilan Korean Restaurant on Capel Street. Have the Korean BBQ - it's a bit of craic cooking the stuff on the grill at the table. Fairly reasonably priced as well

kmick wrote: »
    Whats the budget?

€100-€200 range.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Le Cave on Sth. Anne's st. Simple french food, cosy basement setting, years of experience and affordable bottles of wine you can drink until way into the small hours.

I was in the Cedar Tree before Xmas and I was very impressed with it. Good portions of food and the wine was fab. Service was top notch, never felt rushed and even got the belly dance thrown in too. It was quite busy to boot. :pac:

Having lived in the Balkans (Bulgaria & Serbia), it was familiar to me as the Turkish influence is quite strong, especially regarding the cuisine. However with Lebanese you are tasting the influence of Turkish, Greek, Arabic and French cuisine. The best of all worlds if you ask me. All the waiters in there spoke French which is handy if you are willing to practice your Francais.

I am swaying towards French/Lebanese. I have also been looking at La Mere Zou and Dax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Partizan wrote: »
    €100-€200 range.
    With that budget Id go
    Bang Cafe or
    You could get a taster menu in L'Ecrivaine for 75 a head and really impress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

If you want to impress, I'd recommend the Tea Room in the Clarence Hotel. Was there for Valentine's this year and the level of service was well above what I expected for the prices, but without being overly informal. Worked out at €115 (€40 of which was wine), for 3 course and 2 amuse bouches, with me eating from the set "Market Menu".

http://www.theclarence.ie/tearoom-restaurant

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

I've been to Bella Cuba in Ballsbridge and would highly recommend it. Quite a small, cosy place, sits maybe 30 max. but the food was great.

Linkage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

oceanclub wrote: »
    If you want to impress, I'd recommend the Tea Room in the Clarence Hotel. Was there for Valentine's this year and the level of service was well above what I expected for the prices, but without being overly informal. Worked out at €115 (€40 of which was wine), for 3 course and 2 amuse bouches, with me eating from the set "Market Menu".

http://www.theclarence.ie/tearoom-restaurant

P.

I can think of a good reason never to darken the door of that place.
    He's really small and his name is an anagram of Nobo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭happy09

• Classic restaurant - Jaipur
    • Good Value - Madina near Jervis
    • Spice and Rice takeaway - for home meal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

happy09 wrote: »
    • Good Value - Madina near Jervis

Jaysus, not for a birthday dinner. And to tell the truth, I wasn't too impressed by it - the time I went there, the "meat" was incredibly bony".

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 allabouteve58

Hey

Try Saba. It is behind the Westbury Hotel. Asian food but there is a great atmosphere there. Can be a bit noisey but sure its a birthday!!

Siam Thai
    2nd to Saba
    KOH in Jervis! Fantastic menu, good price, good ambience, brilliant cocktails & Martini menu and good service. I cannot fault the place :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Dunne and Crescenzi on Sth Frederick Street has the most delicious Italian food. The main menu is quite small but everything is gorgeous. What really takes the biscuit are the starters, just great. The staff are attentive and polite and the setting is quite cosy. They have a good wine list too, and seeing as how the food is reasonably priced you can splash out. I'd definitely recommend booking a table though, it's always busy.

http://www.dunneandcrescenzi.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 xfirefishx

Yeah Koh is lovely and they do nice cocktails. Saba is also great.
    For Italian Nonna Valentina on Portobello Road is absolutely gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭julien69

McDonalds in Tallaght,fabolous restaurant great staff and great food.The chef in there is excellent.He had previously worked with that ugly fooker Gordon Ramsey.:pac:

thanks for the replies and helpful suggestions. I have booked a table for 2 in Hugos next Saturday night. The reviews on website www.menupages.ie were very favourable.

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

Is that mongolian Barbeque place still in dublin? i was there about 3 years ago. it was alot of fun,. But seeing as i didnt have to find it i cant remember where exactly it was. Wouldnt mind returning for a visit.

Dunno what the deal is with that place tbh, some evenings its opened and others it's not(Mon & Tues)
    Still in Temple bar, near the Auld Dubliner :)
    Can't miss it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

thanks MIN
    i just seem to never find my way to it. Love the Yamamori up there! Hmmm hungry now.

Advertisement