Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer work abroad

• 09-03-2009 10:42pm

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I'm looking for a summer job for the months of July and August. I'd prefer to get paid as I'm saving for a Master's but could volunteer once I wasn't paying a fortune to do it. A lot of my friends have done those 'build a house in Chile' schemes but I cannot fork out 2 grand to go and work.

I speak fluent Spanish and passable French and have experience in tourism, hotel front desk and teaching. Would anyone know of companies who hire short term staff for just these months? Particularly in Spain, France or South America. Lots of stuff on Google, but I'm interested to hear if anyone has any personal experience or could recommend something.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭MGilly84

Hey Izzy,
    If you like the quiet life and want a good cultural experience theres a town in Brittany France called St. Aubin Du Cormier. Beautiful spot with a lovely big lake, lovely café's and the people are really nice. you should be able to eek out fairly low paid jobs in bars or cafes etc. but you would be able to have a fairly good quality of life. Not sure about saving though depends on yourself really.
    If it gets too quiet to you then you could head into Rennes the regions city. its an old city with some lovely medevil architecture, theres a good nightlife there with the emphasis on alternative music more so than dance crap. theres a very bohemian feel to this place and if your like 18-30 you'll love it. everyones very open and it would be easy to meet people. Work would be easier to come across here. and you mentioned you have passable french-this would defo suffice younger people and business premises do have a bit of english around these places.

OR for something completely out of the regions you suggested you could try Dubai, UAE in the middle east I spent a bit of time working out there and my god is the place just totally of the hook!! its the "Sin City" of the Middle east. Think 7* luxury, think beautiful people everywhere, hot weather, in fact think very hot weather in July august the Temp reaches 50 celcius and man thats so hot. Amazing if your by the pool and can jump in every 10 or so mins but a bit of a bitch if your workin. you do get used to it however and everywhere is very well airconditioned.
    If your white you will find it hard to get taxi's but the taxis are dirt cheap 20 min drive costin about 2 euro. cig's 1.20 euro, beer a bit expensive at about 4.90 but hey it is a muslim country after all so to be able to have a beer is amazing. You can also get alcohol bootlegged straight to your door, however gettin caught is extremely unadvisable! if your into permiscuity this is the place for you, everyone's up for a good time (all im saying on that). Driving is crazy and unadvisable. ah too much to describe.

any questions drop a line....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Popa_irl

What kind of jobs can you get in Dubai? Do many people speak english or is it all Arabic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭MGilly84

Anything you'd get in any other country really depending on your skills and qualifications. everybody speaks english its an international city!!

Advertisement