Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric Problem with Renault Megane

Options
  • 09-03-2009 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I have a 00 Megane, Just tonight, tried to start the car, lights went off, and everything reset (trip computer, clock and radio) and car refused to start, Battery and oil warnings lights on the dash (the car had been running for about 5-6 miles before this). left about 30 seconds tried again and car started.

Since then I've restarted the car about 10-15 times to make sure it's ok, and it's refusing to start maybe every 3-4 times, same thing except it's not resetting trip/radio.

Can anyone give me any advice on what to check before I waste the a mechanics time with it :) (yes I know most of them hate to see meganes pulling into their forecourts) or has anyone come across the problem before ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Mother's Megane has exactly the same problem also a '00 it's been to three different mechanics and a Renault garage no-one seems to have an answer.
    Electrics are one of the Megane's biggest downfalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Dirty or loose battery connections? That's the first thing I'd look at.

I know of a Megane that had very similar symptoms - clock resetting and intermittent bad starting. The battery was replaced (it was 9 years old anyway so had given good service) and the problems stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

That's exactly what I would have said, the battery is on it's way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

GuckyG wrote: »
    I have a 00 Megane, Just tonight, tried to start the car, lights went off, and everything reset (trip computer, clock and radio) and car refused to start, Battery and oil warnings lights on the dash (the car had been running for about 5-6 miles before this). left about 30 seconds tried again and car started.

Since then I've restarted the car about 10-15 times to make sure it's ok, and it's refusing to start maybe every 3-4 times, same thing except it's not resetting trip/radio.

Can anyone give me any advice on what to check before I waste the a mechanics time with it :) (yes I know most of them hate to see meganes pulling into their forecourts) or has anyone come across the problem before ?

The 1998 megane had the battery tucked under near the wiper motor on the drivers side. If yours is the same check the large fuses next to the battery, they can corrode and short out. Also the immobiliser on meganes can cause engine starting problems. Get it disabled as a replacement costs a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Had a similar problem with a 00 Astra. Turned out that the battery terminals were corroded and was hit and miss starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

An electrical problem? On a RENAULT?

Noooo! Shurely shome mishtake:D...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 GuckyG

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, it's been running fine today, no problems as of yet

Checked the battery and there is a 5-6mm of corrosion around just the negative terminal of the battery so I think that may be the problem, had a garage look at it today as well and they came up with the same conclusion, so new battery leads needed. will keep you posted sure if they find anything else :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Had sililar problem on 99 megane and it was jump started. Would not start after this and Renault wanted 2k to replace some engine mgt unit.

A reputabile recovery had jumped it but would not accept responsibility for damage caused as stated by Renault. Got unit in scrapyard for 250 and had it fitted for same.

Be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Chrisoc

Hey all,

Ive a 04 Megane II, about a week ago one of the fuses on the battery terminal went and the repair guy removed it and said to get one soon but it would be fine for the immediate future. Last nite left an internal light on and the battery was dead this morning. Is it safe to the jump the car without the fuse on the terminal or am i gonna shock the life out of myself???

Advertisement