Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What means to assess fairness of permenant banning from a forum..

Options
  • 09-03-2009 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Can someone tell me if there is an alternative way to resolve a grievance on boards.ie than this helpdesk forum? I've been pming the mod who banned me unfairly, in my opinion, but he's not forthcoming with the reasons. And my last post in here received no replies.

I'll repost my previous helpdesk forum posting in here for reference:

Unfairly banned for 'condoning criminality'
    Hi, I received this message tonight after I posted a single comment on the thread relating to the attack ont he army barracks in Antrim:

Banned from Emergency Services

Hi irishbran77,

You have been banned from Emergency Services for the following duration:
    Permanent

for the following reason:
    Condoning criminality.

Thanks,
    Forum Moderator.

I'm completely shocked. My comment condemned the attack and I mentioned how bad I felt for the families of those killed. I mention also how senseless this attack is. And in reply to one person who claimed it was cowardly, I said it wasn't actually cowardly since it took place within a British army barracks. I can understand how some might take offense, but I wasn't condoning criminality and it doesn't deserve a permenant ban!!

Can people explain to me if this is acceptable? I couldn't be bothered with this site if this is the sort of response I can receive for trying to contribute.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Can you supply a link to the thread in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It would appear that the thread in question has been moved to a private forum, so we can't see it or access it.

OK, I've seen your post. It had nothing to do with your "cowards" comment, and everything to do with;

"But in Ireland there is a political problem worth usng violence for. "

and less so..

"Hopefully one bunch of armed thugs don't stop another bunch of armed thugs from killing their armed thug opponents who are trying to kill the first bunch of armed thugs.... you heard me."

The ban stands as far as I'm concerned.

You can appeal the length of it directly with civdef, but if that's the kind of contribution you're going to make to a forum discussing the emergency services, and worse on a thread discussing the murder by scumbags of two soliders, then I don't see why you should be allowed to contribute to that forum at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭irishbran77

I wasn't able to see my own posting once I was banned. If I indeed said that, and those words were not changed by others... then it's a complete mistyping on my part.

I meant to say there's NO reason to use violence in Ireland for any political purpose. There's nothing to use violence for for almost any purpose ont he planet. That's what I meant, now I understand why I was banned. And i feel embarrassed that people saw those words connected to my name after such a criminal attack on two fellas just buying a pizza.

The thing about the thugs I satnd by. I don't think we should be glorifying war and death when it suits some people but not others. And that wouldn't have been fair to get banned over.

I've tried to request the exact reason I was banned from the mod but he replied once with little info. and then hasn't replied since. I still think no matter if I said the worst thing in the world, it is professional to state why the ban was imposed.

I wasn't able to see my own posting once I was banned. If I indeed said that, and those words were not changed by others... then it's a complete mistyping on my part.
    Indeed that's what was posted, I pasted it directly from your post and it hadn't been edited.

To be fair to you, when I read it my first thought was, "That has to be a typo", and I've managed to write "is" and forgotten to put in the "not" or "n't" plenty of times.

My suggestion would be to PM civdef and ask him to reconsider, link him to this thread. You have no history of troublemaking (as far as I know). Ultimately this comes down to whether he's happy that you did make a typo, and his decision on this is final. The "cowards" comment may have also contributed to your ban, but although it was controversial and insensitive perhaps, I don't think it was banworthy.

Let this be a lesson to you to always re-read a post after you've put it up and correct any errors in it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭irishbran77

I've tried to contact the mod who banned me. I sent the link to this discussion and an explanation of my typo but he hasn't responded to me in more than a week.

I understand I am mostly to blame of course for the mistake and for not rereading my own posts before submitting them. But I think a person who refuses to reply at all or to engage a person they've banned shouldn't be a mod at all.

Advertisement