Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting incident in Craigavon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Carlotta

The RTE says the police were responding to suspicious activity near a school.
    Where was the word "ambush" used?

Hope to God this is not related to paramilitaries and just run-of-the-mill criminal scum + bad timing. What are the chances, do ye think?
    Still, I have a bad feeling. Why now, ffs!

I really feel for the people of NI, they must be pretty worried that the past is about to become the present. I'm worried myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Mairt wrote: »
    Sadly I think your wrong.

Like me, your old enough to remember how people seen us in the past. We'll all be tarred with the same brush I'm afraid.

You could be right - amid many things, one major thing has also changed though - communications.

Be it mobile phone, twitter, internet, email, faster live news, etc.

Since the last troubles, the art of communication, a message to the rest of the world has gotten easier.
    I have good delight in saying that that leaves the scumbags stuffed more so.
    They cannot shut the public up so easily and our revulsion is easier to express to the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

mumhaabu wrote: »
    Ireland is on the brink and I have said it before, the IRA gave democracy 12 years and are now back on the warpath:(. .

:confused:

But this isn't the PIRA that's carried out these attacks it's the RIRA who split from the PIRA when they declared their ceasefire in 1997.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Like me, your old enough to remember how people seen us in the past. We'll all be tarred with the same brush I'm afraid.

Too true my friend, I flew back from Germany today only to have a German commiserate with me with "ze war hav start'd in Irland agin ja" I really did not know how to respond and some lager lout Brits on easyjet (we went through security togheter) were quick to pass comments more Irish individuals would not take sitting down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Then let us show the world that these scum do not represent us in any way, that they are an isolated evil minded criminal gang that have no place in society.

What Biggins said..........

.The rest of the world will see however that these very few scumbags do not represent us.

Where do we sign up to protest and organise a march!.

• Advertisement

:confused:

But this isn't the PIRA that's carried out these attacks it's the RIRA who split from the PIRA when they declared their ceasefire in 1997.

Same people different name, the rest turned their spare time to scamming the dole on both sides of the border, red diesel dilution, drugs etc. The hardliners probably have nothing to lose at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

fryup wrote: »
    its time to nip it in the bud before it gets out of control

people should take to the streets, like they did in spain after the madrid bombings....demonstrate outside they're headquarters...republican sinn fein or whoever represents them

and where's that gobsh&te Rauri O'Braighaigh, whats he got to say about this

Ach Ruari was old school. As much as I disagreed with him, I'd be surprised he'd condone this. What age is he now?
    PrivateEye wrote: »
    I believe that, and this isn't the most popular thing to say- in times of social insurrection when the majority of the people support a cause there is arguably justification in targetting state forces. The RUC and the British Army in the 70s and 80s for example had their fair share of blood on their hands.

Today- we don't live in any such environment. These peopple have no support, and no mandate. They have critically injured a minimum wage immigrant worker, and shot a 19 year old lad for delievering pizzas. The north is at peace. The police and army have not carried out an injustice on either community in the recent past. Things have moved on.

Would the public support firebomb attacks on financial institutions at 4am in the morning? Of course not, but still- compared to this current chucky campaign I imagine support would be huge. This is stupid, bad tactics at the wrong time.

Theres been enough bloodshed in the north. I don't like the British Army or the British Police Forces (Or any army or cops in similar circumstances or with a similar history worldwide) but bodybags are not the way forward. The PSNI have not put anyone in a bodybag, this isn't a response to an injustice- its an attempt to provoke mayhem.

Killing a man, when the island is happy at peace, is a disgrace. If the public support this kind of lark- why did they not use 'their protest vote' for Republican Sinn Fein or the 32 CSM absentee candidates?
    shayser wrote: »
    NI Policing Board member "We are staring into the abyss & I would appeal to people to pull back"

YEP, SF are part of the Policing Board, took time and pressure, but inclusion is the way forward.

Private Eye, we'd probably disagree on many issues, but it is time people show 99% of the people are agreed on this, regardless of politics.

NI is united as never before, despite difficulties. I don't care if it's Republican or Loyalist hardliners, time to act.

The PSNI have reformed, they aren't perfect, but it's time for people to support them, regardless of political affiliation.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

galwayrush wrote: »
    Then let us show the world that these scum do not represent us in any way, that they are an isolated evil minded criminal gang that have no place in society.

What Biggins said..........

.The rest of the world will see however that these very few scumbags do not represent us.

Where do we sign up to protest and organise a march!.

we could start an online petition condemning the actions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Would be a terribe terrrible tragedy if a few dissidents ( or psychopaths ) are allowed to drag us all back into the abyss again .The people of Northern Ireland , and the world in general doesn't deserve for this to happen again .No doubt their is a hell of a lot of paronia about NI at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Since when? again is reference to what previous attack?

I would imagine he might be referring to Omagh, or was that the RIRA. Is there a difference? Sounds like you might know.

• Advertisement

Too true my friend, I flew back from Germany today only to have a German commiserate with me with "ze war hav start'd in Irland agin ja" I really did not know how to respond and some lager lout Brits on easyjet (we went through security together) were quick to pass comments more Irish individuals would not take sitting down.

All the more reason to protest. We cannot sit idly by as was done in previous years.

What troubles will bring about if let, is also a further isolation of Ireland, its people and its ability to do business at home and abroad.
    If this happens or is allowed to happen, that means your jobs, your family's jobs, your friends jobs could be effected in some way, near or far.
    Things are bad enough at the moment as they are on the economic front!

This can effect us all in so many ways. It should not be allowed to happen by a very few scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's all over the media, in every country. What more could these scummers want? That's the validation they seek, media frenzies mean what they're doing is important. The best thing for everyone is not to over-react to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mrs moneypenny

Dreadful and very sad news :mad: They are just the same as the ira only hiding behind different letters. My heart goes out to the family of the young man

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

We need to send OUR army up there to assist the security forces up there. That will send a strong message to those scum that they have no mandate whatsoever from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just on a side note - movies like Hunger and The wind that shakes the barley....don't help matters either, they only stir up bad feelings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 bitter lemon

DEUCY?

If it turns out - it was the scumbags again, you will find me on O'Connel street very soon within a week holding a sign above my head:

"Terrorist Scumbags Do Not Represent Me!

...and you can hold me to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

just on a side note - movies like Hunger and The wind that shakes the barley....don't help matters either, they only stir up bad feelings

Too true. Half of the teachers at my school (Cork) were still closet nationalists, the movies we were shown in free classes were too frequently related to conflicts in Northern Ireland and related issues (In the name of the father, The wind that shakes the barley, etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I'm worried myself.

As am I, as traditionally loyalist paramilitaries have shown themselves to be just as reactionary and if they're extremely pissed off I don't think they'll stop and go 'oh- thats the border there. Best stop here then'

The chuckies are hell bent on kicking the occupation off again full-swing, merely for the propaganda victory of making SF look bad. If they're willing to shoot people in the head to do that, you have to ask what else the paramilitaries are willing to do.
    the IRA gave democracy 12 years and are now back on the warpath

IRA are inactive mate. I wouldn't be surprised if the British state turn a blind-eye to them for a while to be honest, as I think P O Neill and his friends have it in their interest to sort this mob out too.

What is really bugging me is we're moving into a period I'm regarding as genuienly revolutionary. The world economic system has more or less collapsed. General strikes will kick off all over Europe. A strong, united working people is essential in the North at the minute. You would think republicans would have the sense to use such an economic collapse to present themselves and their 'Workers Republic :rolleyes: ' as something economically viable and in the interests of the unionist workers. Instead, a fringe group decide to play revolutionaries with a few leftover guns and try to destabitalise an entire region. Any hope they have of winning the support of the 'other' community is gone. Well done.

Irish people, of all shades, are angry at government, banks and global power structures. To turn them on each other at the minute is stupid and politically backwards, not least for a self proclaimed 'revolutionary organisation'

Private Eye, we'd probably disagree on many issues, but it is time people show 99% of the people are agreed on this, regardless of politics.

+1.

Its important this is condemned by both communities, by the unions,and by all political parties. I think what one thinks of the status of the area involved is irrelevant here to be honest, politics go out the window at a time like this. What they're doing isn't political.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Eh, Eh, Errrrrrrrr....................

The wind was a brilliant film, a warning to show what happen.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Wikipedia says that RIRA is made up of between 350 and 450 people.

We cant let these cúnts destroy our country

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Had to log in to post.

As everyone has already said. The act of criminals bent on destruction.

And as everyone else has said, these guys don't represent me.

Hauk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

pithater1 wrote: »
    We need to send OUR army up there to assist the security forces up there. That will send a strong message to those scum that they have no mandate whatsoever from us.

Id imagine that would go down like a lead balloon with the unionist community

But yeh, these guys are the scum of the earth and have no support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

its time to nip it in the bud before it gets out of control

people should take to the streets, like they did in spain after the madrid bombings....demonstrate outside they're headquarters...republican sinn fein or whoever represents them

and where's that gobsh&te Rauri O'Braighaigh, whats he got to say about this

32 County Sovereignty Movement represents the RIRA.

If turns out that this is a Real IRA attack, I think protesting is a good idea. To often the kneejerk reaction is to say "string the bastards up". That has never worked in Ireland, North or South. I think to have a protest in Dublin over the killing of British Army and PSNI personnel would send a huge message, not just to the Real IRA, but to the Unionist community and the politicians in Stormont.

Just to say, it's very unlikely that we'll return to near-Civil War there was through the 1970s to 1990s. What I am worried about is a sustained Real IRA offensive. Occasionally bombings, shootings and so forth. As long as those are going on, Northern Ireland won't make progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

wonder how many police they'd have to kill to get the armoured landrovers back on the streets, did they put them in storage or did they dispose of them all

The majority of Americans still think Ireland is at war as I had quite a difficult time explaining last year, news reports like this on Fox News etc. will only exacerbate the "fear factor" of Ireland. To top it all off we are in recession and have the biggest bungling Taoiseach in a generation, the way Cowen handles this could be a turning point to his tenure. Will this decimate or make SF in the Local Elections, you would be surprised at the amount of people who will sympathise with the IRA on this particaulary SF voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Scum of the ****ing earth. RIP the officer killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

PrivateEye wrote: »
    I don't think CIRA can buy milk without the Brits knowing about it to be honest.

As for the rest of the world going 'sure its only a tiny minority, the Irish are fine?'

Them Iraqis are a lovely bunch of people eh :rolleyes:

This is very damaging for the entire country.
    RIRA, not CIRA

The majority of Americans still think Ireland is at war as I had quite a difficult time explaining last year, news reports like this on Fox News etc. will only exacerbate the "fear factor" of Ireland. To top it all off we are in recession and have the biggest bungling Taoiseach in a generation, the way Cowen handles this could be a turning point to his tenure. Will this decimate or make SF in the Local Elections, you would be surprised at the amount of people who will sympathise with the IRA on this particaulary SF voters.

I'll never vote SF.......ever

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

li@mo wrote: »
    Wikipedia says that RIRA is made up of between 350 and 450 people.

We cant let these cúnts destroy our country

But it doesn't look at the support they have in their communities!.

These animals can not operate without at least some support in their communities. They need safe houses, they need people looking after arms dumps and people gathering intelligence on the security forces etc.

Logistically & tactically they can not operate without this support.

Advertisement