Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting incident in Craigavon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Police have made an arrest in relation to last nights shooting :)

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090310/tuk-arrest-in-craigavon-pc-murder-dba1618.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

thebman wrote: »
    That wasn't really worthwhile though was it?

More a demonstration of their complete ineptitude and inability to achieve their goals.

I feel sorry for the people that died there but it wasn't a worthwhile effort. It didn't do anything except kill completely innocent people. Hell I even remember where I was when I heard about it and can picture it in my head. It depressed me for the rest of the day even though I was at a sporting event I won.

It certainly wasn't "worthwhile" politically, but it was a significant attack, and it is something to worry about imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

37 year old man also just arrested in connection

source - sky news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

fryup wrote: »
    and i've got a bad feeling omagh 2 is just around the corner

All we can really do is monitor the suspected members activities and try to catch them before it goes off.

Can't stop them trying, can catch them in the act and prevent it occurring. That is the best way to show they won't succeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Terry wrote: »
    The odds are against it, but I can only hope the deceased was Catholic. Just for the sake of giving the locals more reason to hate these scumbags.

I think the odds are for it going on his surname and going on previous tactics by Republicans, they actually target Catholic members.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    I think the odds are for it going on his surname and going on previous tactics by Republicans, they actually target Catholic members.

I read somewhere (can't recall where) that he was actively targeted for being a catholic member of a British organization. Though that's probably just hearsay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I read somewhere (can't recall where) that he was actively targeted for being a catholic member of a British organization. Though that's probably just hearsay

Apart from that, they're easier to get info on.

Nodin wrote: »
    Apart from that, they're easier to get info on.

Indeed and they probably would have more knowledge of them. PSNI officers would not publicise that they are officers, but I suppose it wouldn't be that hard to find out.

The PSNI has made huge strides in the last 10 years and are gaining more and more legitimacy. This scare the likes of the RIRA. The PSNI need to act professionally and legitimately in their investigations. Any mistakes will be seized on by propagandists.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Indeed and they probably would have more knowledge of them. PSNI officers would not publicise that they are officers, but I suppose it wouldn't be that hard to find out.

The PSNI has made huge strides in the last 10 years and are gaining more and more legitimacy. This scare the likes of the RIRA. The PSNI need to act professionally and legitimately in their investigations. Any mistakes will be seized on by propagandists.

Indeed. Any suggestions that be treated any more harshly than others is the kind of counter-productive crap that started the whole mess way back when.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'm delighted to see that they have already picked up two for questioning.
    Might not produce anything but at least they are trying quickly to do something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Biggins wrote: »
    I'm delighted to see that they have already picked up two for questioning.
    Might not produce anything but at least they are trying quickly to do something.

I expect that they are now joining the dots. If the PSNI can handle the whole situation on the ground, and round these feckers up ASAP, then all the better. There could then be an all-island poll on what to do with the guilty parties.

They could rent a few holiday chalets at Gitmo, where they could participate in all manner of sporting activities, mainly water-related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Never mind extraordinary punishments or anything else, the perpetrators and accomplices and facilitators should be locked up and nothing else. Anything else will just lead to more bloodshed which is exactly what they're after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Steve.Pseudonym

Someone raised the point of funding for these groups. This is pure speculation, but it occurs to me that we know that the IRA, or some faction with those letters in it, carried out the northern bank raid of several years ago. Even if we say that this money was rendered unusable, it sets a precedent, in that we know paramilitaries target banks for funding.

Over the past few years we have had how many raids on cash in transit vans? How many tiger kidnappings?

It's not beyond the realm of possibility is it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Shoot To Kill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

utick wrote: »
    have you seen some of the comments on the youtube videos about the troubles in the north?

yes i've been taken aback reading those comments, and its disheartening to know there's still so much hatred & bitterness on this island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Steve.Pseudonym

In fairness, youtube comments are always a cesspool. I wouldn't expect much else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Shoot To Kill.

Care to expand on that?

Sinn Féin confirm a pipe bomb was found outside their office in Cookstown yesterday. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7933409.stm

amacachi wrote: »
    Sinn Féin confirm a pipe bomb was found outside their office in Cookstown yesterday. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7933409.stm

The list of suspects on that one would be interesting reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 pert

fryup wrote: »
    yes i've been taken aback reading those comments, and its disheartening to know there's still so much hatred & bitterness on this island

Youtube is full of morons to be fair...

People who haven't got a clue, the ones who shout up the ra, and write slogans on walls. Plastic Republicans...

The list of suspects on that one would be interesting reading.

I'm sure Sinn Féin have a better idea than the police, just hope they tell the police rather than take it into their own hands, that's the last thing we need. Any retaliation from the Provos or Sinn Féin and I'll be putting money away for plane tickets.

Dave! wrote: »
    RIRA carried out Omagh

For anyone who think (very few people on boards I'd imagine) that the RIRA are legitimising their "campaign" by targeting security forces, you should never forget what Dave! pointed out. Omagh is a predominantly Catholic town FFS! These scum and the scum that support them are a bunch of jingoistic sociopaths whose only role on this planet is to cause as much pain to anyone who crosses them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Sean@boards.ie

Terry wrote: »
    The odds are against it, but I can only hope the deceased was Catholic. Just for the sake of giving the locals more reason to hate these scumbags.

If he were a catholic it would have been plastered all over the news shortly after the killing.

I pity his family, I am sure they like the rest of the country thought this was all in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Sean@boards.ie

Des wrote: »
    Bring back internment

That I would agree with. We could start by rounding up all the possible gangland criminal suspects, who have been shooting people dead in Dublin and Limerick over the last couple of years, way more than anyother group, then consider throwing in a few dissidents too to keep them company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Any retaliation from the Provos or Sinn Féin and I'll be putting money away for plane tickets.

Though I have no love for either the Provos or Sinn Fein, I believe them when they say they don't do that sort of thing any more. Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness couldn't have been clearer today on the TV about their support for law and order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'm sure Sinn Féin have a better idea than the police, just hope they tell the police rather than take it into their own hands, that's the last thing we need. Any retaliation from the Provos or Sinn Féin and I'll be putting money away for plane tickets.

I think Sinn Fein/PIRA are smarter than that TBH. If there is, it wouldn't be an official retaliation ordered from the top but some gob****e disobeying the party/organisation line.

If he were a catholic it would have been plastered all over the news shortly after the killing.

I pity his family, I am sure they like the rest of the country thought this was all in the past.

With a name like Paul Carroll I would suspect he was Catholic. My dad said the news said earlier he was born in the Republic, raised in England then was a police officer in the north for 20 years. Haven't been able to find a source online yet. Targetting Catholics, Nationalists and Republicans is exactly what the CIRA and RIRA will be doing.

*EDIT* Born in England, lived in Kildare at some point in his life.
    That I would agree with. We could start by rounding up all the possible gangland criminal suspects, who have been shooting people dead in Dublin and Limerick over the last couple of years, way more than anyother group, then consider throwing in a few dissidents too to keep them company.

No to internment. Sorry but if internment comes in you're opening a massive can of worms that will take years to close.

Richard wrote: »
    Though I have no love for either the Provos or Sinn Fein, I believe them when they say they don't do that sort of thing any more. Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness couldn't have been clearer today on the TV about their support for law and order.
    I think Sinn Fein/PIRA are smarter than that TBH. If there is, it wouldn't be an official retaliation ordered from the top but some gob****e disobeying the party/organisation line.

There won't be anything coming from the top, but it just takes one eejit to do it. It'll take more than one pipe-bomb to push them into it, just hoping it won't happen.

• Advertisement

Do you think there is a line these days? I wouldn't be so sure. Sinn Fein are a fully political group now (and a good one too imo). My own feeling is that these splinter cells are acting on their own interests with no real political reasoning apart from using it as leverage to gain the attention they crave.

Advertisement