Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Ireland rejoin the Commonwealth?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

gurramok wrote: »
    I'd support joining when Germany and France joins.

maybe not as mad as it sounds

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6261885.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

lol even in that article they suggest it was a mad idea and that it was never put on French record because it was such a mad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I know. It is also worthy of note that the reason Rwanda wants to join is to stick 2 fingers up to the French!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Does anyone know thex exact reason & chain of events which led to the republics withdrawl from the Commonwealth?

Many years ago my Dad told me that it came as a big shock to everybody that they had just left the Commonwealth in the blink of an eye, and according to my Dad, it was virtually done & dusted overnight without any consultation with the public at large (or even the opposition parties)?

I dont know if my Dad's version was true or not, but he said that they came down for breakfast one morning only to discover that Ireland was out, and that was that!

Anyone got the official story & details of our exit in 1948 .........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Camelot wrote: »
    Does anyone know thex exact reason & chain of events which led to the republics withdrawl from the Commonwealth?

Many years ago my Dad told me that it came as a big shock to everybody that they had just left the Commonwealth in the blink of an eye, and according to my Dad, it was virtually done & dusted overnight without any consultation with the public at large (or even the opposition parties)?

I dont know if my Dad's version was true or not, but he said that they came down for breakfast one morning only to discover that Ireland was out, and that was that!

Any got the official story & details of our exit in 1948 .........

Obviously not officially exactly what happened Camelot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elvP6qWecc8

That vid will give you some little bit of information on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

getz wrote: »
    do you believe that the irish republic would have joined the eu if the uk had not joined ?i dont believe they would but that would make another good thread wouldent it

Sorry to go off-topic, but didn't they join at the same time, with the UK initially holding back?

To answer the OP's question, I don't think there would be a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Camelot wrote: »

Anyone got the official story & details of our exit in 1948 .........
    you tube is good ,but it is only part of the story it dosent tell you why the republic left the commonwealth ,if you look on the web site reform.org that tells you a better story,

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SirHenryGrattan

Maybe the Commonwealth should join the EU and be done with it.

junder wrote: »

Imagine the embarrassment of discussing food aid to Zimbabwe, only to have some bitter buffoon bring up the potato famine.

Well maybe if we apologized properly for the famine then the Irish might stop going on about it. What do you expect? The Jews to forget about the Holocaust. The Poles to forget about Warsaw.

As for us; well ask Piers. "For you, Fritz, ze Euro 96 is over!". Daily Mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭mealone43

i agree it would be rejected because, it would very hard to explain to a people why joining the commonwealth may be of benefit to them when you spent 87 years of church/political sponsored anti/british rhetoric,to suddenly say ; lets rejoin it could be fun[/quote Guess what? I still hate the British and the loyalist idiots who crawl to their majesty LOL. Stateless buffoons like that Paisley doddo

• Advertisement

you tube is good ,but it is only part of the story it dosent tell you why the republic left the commonwealth ,if you look on the web site reform.org that tells you a better story,

I have had a look at this site. Very "Friends of the British Empire". Motto. We love the people of the Commonwealth but if you are black don't come here.

I have had a look at this site. Very "Friends of the British Empire". Motto. We love the people of the Commonwealth but if you are black don't come here.

I agree, that reform group creep me out. How would we go about organizing a poll on alot of political issues in Ireland.

Such as numbers wanting to see an end to partition;

Numbers wanting to rejoin the commonwealth;

Numbers wanting to leave the EU;

etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ukraine_orange

I don't agree with some of the reasons given in here for joining the Commonwealth.

If you want to become a British citizen, joining the Commonwealth is not a good reason for that. You are more than welcome to work and live in the UK and then apply for British citizenship, thanks to the EU.

Ireland joining the Commonwealth would jeopardize Ireland's already questionable Neutrality. "If it's already broke, break it even more"? :confused:

We wouldn't benefit from it at all. We already have great relations with the UK, isn't that enough? And if we would benefit from it, please tell me how. And no, being able to join the Commonwealth Games is not good enough.

And before anybody says it, I am not anti-British. Thanks.

I don't agree with some of the reasons given in here for joining the Commonwealth.

If you want to become a British citizen, joining the Commonwealth is not a good reason for that. You are more than welcome to work and live in the UK and then apply for British citizenship, thanks to the EU.

Ireland joining the Commonwealth would jeopardize Ireland's already questionable Neutrality. "If it's already broke, break it even more"? :confused:

We wouldn't benefit from it at all. We already have great relations with the UK, isn't that enough? And if we would benefit from it, please tell me how. And no, being able to join the Commonwealth Games is not good enough.

when ireland first told the commonwealth it was leaving it ,all hell broke lose,the british goverment told them that there would be no alternative but to treat them like any other foreign country ,which ment the movement of its citizens would be restricted and ireparable damage would be done to irish trade and business,none of the implactions of becoming a republic and leaving the commonwealth had been thought through,they were if fact shooting their country in the heart/the australian dep prime minister intervened and asked canada,new zealand and britain not to treat the free state like a foreign country,so the new roi emerged with the same status in effect as a common wealth country,as far as northern ireland was concerned the result was telling ,the british ireland bill was introuced which copper fastened the ulster unionists to great britain,--irish citizens enjoyed the franchise in the uk and other commonwealth countrys, the same was not true for uk and commonwealth citizens in ireland ,but if the uk,canada and new zealand had not listened to the australian dep pm ,ireland would have been bankrupt within 6 months

Cant really be said better than that.

Also we would have to host the blasted common wealth games and thats the last thing we could afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Ireland joining the commonwealth would not stop it being a Republic, nor would it grant British Citizenship to its citizens.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Cant really be said better than that.

Also we would have to host the blasted common wealth games and thats the last thing we could afford.
    manchester did very well out of the commonwealth games and made money as well as getting a lot of world investment-just think of what it could do for dublin for jobs ect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Very true indeed ................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Richard wrote: »
    Ireland joining the commonwealth would not stop it being a Republic, nor would it grant British Citizenship to its citizens.

I'm still waiting as to why Ireland should join when the following prosperous and poor alike will not..

Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, Russia, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Latvia, Greece, Estonia, Lithuania, Portugal, Turkey, Serbia, Croatia, Macedonia, Romania, Moldova, Hungary, Ukraine, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, USA etc..

I'm still waiting as to why Ireland should join when the following prosperous and poor alike will not..

Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, Russia, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Latvia, Greece, Estonia, Lithuania, Portugal, Turkey, Serbia, Croatia, Macedonia, Romania, Moldova, Hungary, Ukraine, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, USA etc..
    at meeting at chequers the irish said they would consider rejoining the commonwealth at a later stage -- by the way france at one time after the war wanted to join the commonwealth

• Advertisement

at meeting at chequers the irish said they would consider rejoining the commonwealth at a later stage -- by the way france at one time after the war wanted to join the commonwealth

Source for any these allegations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

manchester did very well out of the commonwealth games and made money as well as getting a lot of world investment-just think of what it could do for dublin for jobs ect

But it was London who funded it....

Try harder.

Source for any these allegations?
    www.orange.co.uk/news/23408 htm----www.irelandinformationguide.com -history of ireland

But it was London who funded it....

Try harder.
    you are not often right -but your wrong again -it was the goverment who funded it and it made a profit as well as giving a big financial boost to the city

www.orange.co.uk/news/23408 htm----www.irelandinformationguide.com -history of ireland

Error 404 - Page Not Found
    Sorry, we can't find the page you're looking for - the page may have moved or may be temporarily unavailable.

Please check the page address (URL) is typed correctly (addresses are case-sensitive) or use our search tool below.

What groups actually want us to join? Has it ever been an aspiration of the people of Ireland to join the commonwealth? Certainly hasnt been one of my aspirations for Ireland.

At present most people seem happy (enough) the way things are for all 32 counties. We are by and large living in a peaceful time. The Northern issue has been sedated for the time being, when the issue of unity rears its head perhaps rejoining may be considered, however for the mean time I am against it.

you are not often right -but your wrong again -it was the goverment who funded it and it made a profit as well as giving a big financial boost to the city

Eh?

London, as in the London government funded it. Whether it made a profit or not is irrelevant, the Irish excehquer would have to fund the building of stadia (it was alluded to earlier that they would not) and transport links, most of which existed already in Manchster and does not here.

Long and the short of it its a weak arguement to join an imperial club we left 50 years ago. Use as a bargaining chip for the Unionsists when reunification comes around is the only situation I can see commonwealth membership being even half considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Gambit32

Richard wrote: »

No but it would threaten everything that republic stands for and what its based on,complete sovereignty and self determination

Gambit32 wrote: »
    No but it would threaten everything that republic stands for and what its based on,complete sovereignty and self determination

It actually doesn't. I think thats the point. We are in the EU and UN, which are more 'imposing' of policy.

The issue here is that there is no benefit whatsoever to joining the commonwealth other than sympbolic and the symbol to me is the antithisis of what Ireland should stand for and regressive.

Eh?

London, as in the London government funded it. Whether it made a profit or not is irrelevant, the Irish excehquer would have to fund the building of stadia (it was alluded to earlier that they would not) and transport links, most of which existed already in Manchster and does not here.

Long and the short of it its a weak arguement to join an imperial club we left 50 years ago. Use as a bargaining chip for the Unionsists when reunification comes around is the only situation I can see commonwealth membership being even half considered.
    london is a city and did not fund the games in manchester most of the money came from lotto and the britis gov,--imperial club ?you have been reading to many comic books

• Advertisement

Orange.co.uk is a mobile phone website, not selling phones are you? ;)

The 2nd one http://www.irelandinformationguide.com/Main_Page has about 600 links, point us to the source of your info.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement