Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Ireland rejoin the Commonwealth?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Obviously India, Pakistan, Jamaica etc etc are stupid then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I am an Irish citizen by accident of birth, i did not ever choose to become one.

Why not apply for citizenship in another country if you want to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

shqipshume wrote: »
    I couldnt agree with you more. I read somewhere a while back Irish are becoming not Irish and i didnt believe it.Patriotisim is a thing of past with alot of these people.
    You know what the problem is they have had the silver spoon to long in their mouth.

Its because we are a neo-colonial country. We have free elections yes but since independance we have relied on Britain too closely. We take all our laws etc from them and copy nearly everything they do. And their sports and entertainment is hugely popular here too. Im not saying its all a bad thing, but until we start making our own decisions and going it outselves we can never call ourselves a totally free independent state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Are there any Irish people on this fourm? Cos this idea is laughable to any patriot.
    How about you refrain from stuffing your stuck-in-the-past definitions of Irishness and patriotism down our throats? It's getting awfully old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

thebman wrote: »
    Why not apply for citizenship in another country if you want to?
    Not possible. If you can tell me of a country that would grant citizenship easily I would like to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Not possible. If you can tell me of a country that would grant citizenship easily I would like to know.

Iceland, id say theyre dying for people :D

I dont think the Commonwealth offers any real advantage. It would be one thing if we werent in the EU but we are, and we have access to the free market already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Oh dear..the "I am a self hating Irish man" forum is that way ---->>..:rolleyes:

The EU is the place to be not some clap trap post colonial institution to make the Brits feel a bit better about themselves after the ungrateful heathen turned on them.

Can anyone give one good reason why Ireland should join the Commonwealth?

As for reassuring Unionsists? Thats laughable..reassuring them of what exactly?

So what, we should give up our National identity to placate a small minority on this Island (and lets not even get into how they got here in the first place)...lol..and what do Unionists do to "reassure" us?

Giving them 1/3 of the Tricolour is enough for me thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,443 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Oh dear..the "I am a self hating Irish man" forum is that way ---->>..:rolleyes:
    Oh deary, deary, me. Someone disagrees with the nationalistic idealism and they're automatically dubbed "self-hating"

COMPLETE BOLLOCKS
    Honestly. It's like the modern-day version of ever (oxy)moronic and thoughless "no free speech for traitors".

For the record:
    1) Not in favour, don't see the point, would not bother opposing if it happened.
    2) Very proud of SELF not particualrly proud of NATION.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Oh deary, deary, me. Someone disagrees with the nationalistic idealism and they're automatically dubbed "self-hating"

COMPLETE BOLLOCKS
    Honestly. It's like the modern-day version of ever (oxy)moronic and thoughless "no free speech for traitors".

For the record:
    1) Not in favour, don't see the point, would not bother opposing if it happened.
    2) Very proud of SELF not particualrly proud of NATION.

Nothing to do with Nationalistic idealism..this guy is not happy about being born in Ireland and his Irish citizenship and seems to want to change it if he could.

Now if you had bothered to read his posts you prob would have figured that out yourself..;)

• Advertisement

RiverWilde wrote: »
    Rejoining the Commonwealth isn't a bad idea.

Maybe Southern Ireland will actually grow up a bit and stop behaving like a spoilt child.

Riv

So would you care to elaborate? or are you just reverting to ad hominem..

now who is the child?:rolleyes:

It will be handy for when Cameron pulls the UK (and Biffo follows) out of the EU.
    And the Commonwealth Games.

Mate this is 2009 not 1989..you are about 20 years behind the time..

Britain is more dependent on the EU than ever before and its only a matter of time before they join the Eurozone. The dogs on the street know it but nobody has the balls to say it in public..Britain is practically begging the EU (Germany in particular) to bail it out of the spending frenzy and debt it was got itself into (Ireland is in the same boat)..its just plain pig headed stubborness that is keeping Britain out at the moment..

(For the record I spend quiet a lot of time in London working..financial and legal sector)

If you are good at cross country running apply to Holland/Turkey or Denmark. They will welcome you with open arms.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Soldie wrote: »
    the Commonwealth seeks to promote individual liberty, egalitarianism, free-trade, multilateralism, world peace, a rejection of international coercion, eradication of disease and poverty, among other things.

Pakistan. India in Kashmir. Britains failure, despite the wishes of the commonwealth, to pursue sanctions against Apartheid South Africa. Etc and so on.

The EU is the place to be not some clap trap post colonial institution to make the Brits feel a bit better about themselves after the ungrateful heathen turned on them.

Can anyone give one good reason why Ireland should join the Commonwealth?

As for reassuring Unionsists? Thats laughable..reassuring them of what exactly?

So what, we should give up our National identity to placate a small minority on this Island (and lets not even get into how they got here in the first place)...lol..and what do Unionists do to "reassure" us?

Giving them 1/3 of the Tricolour is enough for me thank you very much.

Why exactly would Ireland be giving up its national identity? are you suggesting India or Nigeria have then?

You might want to find out a bit about the commonwealth before you are so flippant about it.
    Britain is more dependent on the EU than ever before and its only a matter of time before they join the Eurozone. The dogs on the street know it but nobody has the balls to say it in public..Britain is practically begging the EU (Germany in particular) to bail it out of the spending frenzy and debt it was got itself into (Ireland is in the same boat)..its just plain pig headed stubborness that is keeping Britain out at the moment..

Really? the traders I am working with think that Britain not being in the euro is the only thing keeping it going, especially considering all the EU countries that ****ed up their economies would be coming cap in hand (again) to Britain if it were in the eurozone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

We are in the EU, you can go work in Britain without seeking a visa for the required number of years and apply for citizenship through the relvent means they have available.

This is way easier than getting citizenship in most non-EU countries and is easy relative to these other systems.

Wanting Ireland to join the Commonwealth because you couldn't be bothered to follow the procedure to gain citizenship in that country is not a good enough reason for me to say we should join the Commonwealth.

Nodin wrote: »
    Pakistan. India in Kashmir. Britains failure, despite the wishes of the commonwealth, to pursue sanctions against Apartheid South Africa. Etc and so on.

what's that got to do with anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Remove Queen Elizabeth as Head of the British Commonwealth!

I'd rather be in a 'European Commonwealth' than a British one as after all, we are more European than British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Soldie wrote: »
    Today is Commonwealth day - the annual celebration of the Commonwealth. It has been 60 years since the formation of the Commonwealth in its current form, and 60 years since Ireland left it upon becoming a republic. According to the Singapore (1971) and Harare (1991) declarations, the Commonwealth seeks to promote individual liberty, egalitarianism, free-trade, multilateralism, world peace, a rejection of international coercion, eradication of disease and poverty, among other things. Should Ireland consider rejoining the Commonwealth and why or why not?

No we shouldn't join. The Irish people will never agree. We fought to get away from the union with Britain. It would be a regressive step to jump back into bed with them.

Nodin wrote: »

One word...Zimbabwe

The Commonwealth continues to shower itself in full regal glory...:):)

Do the illegal invasions of foreign countires i.e. Iraq, Afganistan consitute the "the rejection of international coercion":)

God bless the Brits..they are certainly good for a laugh..lol

• Advertisement

Nothing to do with Nationalistic idealism..this guy is not happy about being born in Ireland and his Irish citizenship and seems to want to change it if he could.

Now if you had bothered to read his posts you prob would have figured that out yourself..;)

What he posted is irrelevant. I was responding to the first line of what YOU posted.

Why would you call someone - ANYONE - "self-hating" for stating that they had no feelings for their nation? The "self" and the "nation" are two completly different things that you seem to have combined. i.e. - a person's disliking for or criticism of their nationalitiy is the same as dislinking one's self...?

As I've said, I've no real feelings for Ireland but would never consider switching nationality, but this has **** all to do with how I feel about myself as a person; and I hate it when people imply that it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

All sounds a bit self defeatist. Is Ireland still not one of the wealthiest countries in the world GDP?

One things for sure, the border is costing the economy a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

thebman wrote: »
    Wanting Ireland to join the Commonwealth because you couldn't be bothered to follow the procedure to gain citizenship in that country is not a good enough reason for me to say we should join the Commonwealth.

If only this were true....I'm struggling to think of the countries that are members of the commonwealth that are actually British subjects these days.
    Australians/New Zealanders used to be British subjects, but established their own respective citizenships 60 years ago.

Being a commonwealth citizen doesn't do much for me.

Why exactly would Ireland be giving up its national identity? are you suggesting India or Nigeria have then?

You might want to find out a bit about the commonwealth before you are so flippant about it.

Really? the traders I am working with think that Britain not being in the euro is the only thing keeping it going, especially considering all the EU countries that ****ed up their economies would be coming cap in hand (again) to Britain if it were in the eurozone.

Seriously mate, what planet are you on? Do you not read!!

Have you been following the Germany vs Britain economic debate..where Germany is livid at what Britain was done to itself....

where do you think all the cheap credit in Britain came from???...here is a little clue..it starts with the letter "G" and it has a female chancellor...and now Britain wants Germany to bail it...and you have some neck (albeit ill informed) to go on about countries in the Eurozone have *** economies..serious case of pot..kettle...black...lol

What he posted is irrelevant. I was responding to the first line of what YOU posted.

Why would you call someone - ANYONE - "self-hating" for stating that they had no feelings for their nation? The "self" and the "nation" are two completly different things that you seem to have combined. i.e. - a person's disliking for or criticism of their nationalitiy is the same as dislinking one's self...?

As I've said, I've no real feelings for Ireland but would never consider switching nationality, but this has **** all to do with how I feel about myself as a person; and I hate it when people imply that it does.

What...?? his posts are irrelevant??? You cant be serious..

My post was a direct response to what he posted so it is very relevant..you have blatantly decided to take my post completely out of context to make your own point..:rolleyes:

The rest of your post does not deserve a reply after that show of self serving pompacity.

gurramok wrote: »
    Remove Queen Elizabeth as Head of the British Commonwealth!
    which is something Ireland can do, if it joins. the Queen is invited to be the symbolic head of the commenwealth and has no rights over the member countries. The Secretary general is currently Indian, who succeeded a Kiwi.
    gurramok wrote: »
    I'd rather be in a 'European Commonwealth' than a British one as after all, we are more European than British.

You keep telling yourself that mate, if it makes you feel better :D
    One word...Zimbabwe

The Commonwealth continues to shower itself in full regal glory...:):)

Does the illegal invasions of foreign countires i.e. Iraq, Afganistan consitute the "the rejection of international coercion":)

God bless the Brits..they are certainly good for a laugh..lol

what the **** has any of that got to do with the commonwealth?

I do now see your problem with joining though, it is more a chip on your shoulder with britain and your own prejudices than anything to do with the commonwealth.

What...?? his posts are irrelevant??? You cant be serious..

My post was a direct response to what he posted so it is very relevant..you have blatantly decided to take my post completely out of context to make your own point..:rolleyes:

The rest of your post does not deserve a reply after that show of self serving pompacity.

"Self-serving pompacity..."!? If that's not hiding behind rehortic bull**** I don't knoe what is!

And his posts were NOT relevant. I don;t care what context you were talking in, you likened a lack of nationalism to hating oneself as an individual. Which is bull****.

If you really want to bring his posts into it, show we where he said he disliked himself.

Seriously mate, what planet are you on? Do you not read!!

Have you been following the Germany vs Britain economic debate..where Germany is livid at what Britain was done to itself....

where do you think all the cheap credit in Britain came from???...here is a little clue..it starts with the letter "G" and it has a female chancellor...and now Britain wants Germany to bail it...and you have some neck (albeit ill informed) to go on about countries in the Eurozone have *** economies..serious case of pot..kettle...black...lol

its irrelevant to this debate, but a link would be nice.

i didn't know there was a chancellor in the US.

"Self-serving pompacity..."!? If that's not hiding behind rehortic bull**** I don't knoe what is!

And his posts were NOT relevant. I don;t care what context you were talking in, you likened a lack of nationalism to hating oneself as an individual. Which is bull****.

No I did not lliken a lack of Irish Nationalism to self hating...it was a question re citizenhsip and the lack of control thereof...my post related to his moaning about not being able to control his (Irish) citizenship with the implication that joining the Commonwealth he could take up British citizenship.

But, and let me get this right....you dont care what context I meant it in...:confused:..now you have just proved and admitted my last point..you have blantantly decided to take me out of context and completely misrepresent my post to back up our own point. You are in fact arguing with yourself...lol:pac::pac:

What age are you?

ps Do yourself a favour and learn the meaning of the word "rhetoric"..;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

what's that got to do with anything?

It was a device to withdraw from Empire with the delusion of dignity. It's members are united only in having been invaded by a Foreign power. They do not act as a political block. On the few occassions they develop a joint position, the British feel free to ignore them. The EU, though a flawed beast, is a far far more egalitarian grouping than this relic.
    the Queen is invited to be the symbolic head of the commenwealth

Personally, I reject the idea of qualification for symbolic head being by having fallen out of the right womb.

......because no-one on the continent can grasp the concept of "exchange rate"? Silly talk. Britain is in a worse state than many of the EU nations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement