Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Ireland rejoin the Commonwealth?

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Cos his an anti-Irish Unionist p****
    Banned. Anyone else who can't resist the temptation to share their narrow-minded bigotry will face a similar fate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

i dont think he should be banned he should be talked down to and exposed as the idiot he is.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

acontadino wrote: »
    i dont think he should be banned he should be talked down to and exposed as the idiot he is.
    Please don't discuss moderation in-thread or call other posters idiots, even if they are idiots - read the charter before posting again, ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Pandcoa

There really isn't a point even in a practical sense, it's all just idealist goals of promoting human rights, democracy, liberty etc. As for enhancing global trade, I havn't found much evidence of much good they have done - we're already part of the EU and other trade networks that don't do a whole pile for the economy either.

Secondly I feel some people just want to join because they feel the need to make the country try to celebrate british colonialism here, while all empires do some good for their colonies by improving infrasture etc. its not exactly a happy time in their country's history so why do you feel the need to force others to recognise it? I mean we are a neo colonial country but I think some people take it a bit too far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

What a stupid topic for discussion anyway. I'm sorry I commented at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Clam

how should I put this - simply I suppose.

No!!! it gave us nothing before, its got nothing to offer us now!

They gave us nothing, well they gave us grief thats for sure, But you cant say they gave the country nothing, we're basically a photocopy of the british nation, they gave us allot, they have been keeping this country afloat since we started making money

shqipshume wrote: »
    I couldnt agree with you more. I read somewhere a while back Irish are becoming not Irish and i didnt believe it.Patriotisim is a thing of past with alot of these people.
    You know what the problem is they have had the silver spoon to long in their mouth.

Silver spoon mate? You do not have to be crown basher to be an irish patriot, just be serious about your comedy and stay comedic about the serious, Silver Spoon? some of us dug for our own silver, but can still spot an advantage when we see one, one that could potentially keep bread on your kids table

I think the Uk's lovely

Clam wrote: »
    I think the Uk's lovely

Not too much wrong with the U.K. when look at balls up we made here besides the international recession. Also the British are overall more honest than us lot, at least they know when to resign from important posts when the screw up. Not our lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

If ever there was an ego-boosting institution for British nationalists, all of whom are finding it difficult to come to terms with the loss of that Empire, this British Commonwealth idea is an amazing panacea for the bruised egos of these generally shockingly undereducated members of British society.

For the brief moment that they can entertain this idea of being a world power again, this marginalised section of British society can feel happy at the thought of a return to the glory days of what it terms the "British Isles."

Alas, there are let's just say "issues".

Oh if only the European Union didn't exist, the benighted ones lament over their lagers and tabloids, Britain could return to her former glory, and Ireland to her rightful place beneath her. The EU, the Euro, EU law and everything connected with it are the barrier to the rise from the ashes for that now rather marginalised little island off Europe that once controlled so much of this planet but has been in continuous decline since 1920. Their now non-existent car companies - all owned by the Germans and other foreigners - are proof of a dastardly foreign conspiracy to undermine the once great nation that civilised so many barbarians like ... the Irish, Gael and Norman alike.

So yes, we should join the British Commonwealth just to help those poor, forlorn members of British society who are having an immensely difficult time coming to terms with Britain's decline. After all Britain has done for Ireland from Mullaghmast to Skibbereen, the least we Paddies should do is know our place and that we are here simply to satisfy the egos of British nationalists who definitely have a birthright to creating a world organisation underneath Her Majesty the Queen of England that is as important as the European Union. It's all about choosing: the past or the future.

Amen.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

PS: Speaking of intelligence and education, is it my imagination or is there a distinct lack of understanding of the Queen's English among the "rejoin the British commonwealth" brigade? Their spelling is atrocious, and consistently so. No surprises there, then.

Rebelheart wrote: »
    If ever there was an ego-boosting institution for British nationalists, all of whom are finding it difficult to come to terms with the loss of that Empire, this British Commonwealth idea is an amazing panacea for the bruised egos of these generally shockingly undereducated members of British society.

For the brief moment that they can entertain this idea of being a world power again, this marginalised section of British society can feel happy at the thought of a return to the glory days of what it terms the "British Isles."

Alas, there are let's just say "issues".

Oh if only the European Union didn't exist, the benighted ones lament over their lagers and tabloids, Britain could return to her former glory, and Ireland to her rightful place beneath her. The EU, the Euro, EU law and everything connected with it are the barrier to the rise from the ashes for that now rather marginalised little island off Europe that once controlled so much of this planet but has been in continuous decline since 1920. Their now non-existent car companies - all owned by the Germans and other foreigners - are proof of a dastardly foreign conspiracy to undermine the once great nation that civilised so many barbarians like ... the Irish, Gael and Norman alike.

So yes, we should join the British Commonwealth just to help those poor, forlorn members of British society who are having an immensely difficult time coming to terms with Britain's decline. After all Britain has done for Ireland from Mullaghmast to Skibbereen, the least we Paddies should do is know our place and that we are here simply to satisfy the egos of British nationalists who definitely have a birthright to creating a world organisation underneath Her Majesty the Queen of England that is as important as the European Union. It's all about choosing: the past or the future.

Amen.

Might not agree with you but love your style. I await more, go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't see any reason why Ireland would want to rejoin the commonwealth when we have access to markets under the guise of the EU and have quite good relations with the US. Our closest trading partner is the UK and in that respect there would probably be SFA benefits to be had in any event by rejoining the commonwealth.

stepbar wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't see any reason why Ireland would want to rejoin the commonwealth when we have access to markets under the guise of the EU and have quite good relations with the US. Our closest trading partner is the UK and in that respect there would probably be SFA benefits to be had in any event by rejoining the commonwealth.

Seemly a lot of people on here don't know that.....................................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Not too much wrong with the U.K. when look at balls up we made here besides the international recession. Also the British are overall more honest than us lot, at least they know when to resign from important posts when the screw up.

Hence the famous mass resignation over Iraq...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

no

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SirHenryGrattan

Not too much wrong with the U.K

Gosh. Not even Gordo would say that. Ever read our newspapers? I personally have not seen so much gloom and doom around for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Fionn23

Hell no!

Nodin wrote: »
    Hence the famous mass resignation over Iraq...

I think it fairly clear I'm taking about national politics not international -there is a difference or had you nothing really to add?

Gosh. Not even Gordo would say that. Ever read our newspapers? I personally have not seen so much gloom and doom around for a long time.

Let me educate you in some hard facts. I can't get job here but I can in the U.K.. Say no more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

getz wrote: »
    there is a good irish web site www.reform.org that deals with anglo/irish relations in there articles it tells you the reason why the republic left the commonwealth its a very good and interesting site

Eh, it's a bit one sided really, the auld "Reform" crew and the failed attention seeker Robin Bury?.

Seriously, I wouldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Oh dear god, No we shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Commonwealth games for starters.

Also it would give Irish citizens the option of becoming British Subjects.

I don't think so. Australians and Canadians can't become British Subjects, and they have the Queen as their heads of state. An ROI inside the Commonwealth wouldn't have the Queen as its HOS!

But I think it might be a nice idea if the Republic did. Mind you it's none of my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭carrieb

I really don't see why!!
    What would we actually gain?
    I have to say I'm not Anti British but I do think it would be a step backwards.. Can anyone give a valid reason as to what good it would do us??

stepbar wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't see any reason why Ireland would want to rejoin the commonwealth

It would:

1. bury the hatchet
    2. foster better relations between Ireland's two main ethnic groups, White Irish and White British.
    3. be good for tourism.
    4. provide even more 'travel' opportunities for the pollies.
    5. Ireland could host the Commonwealth games.

It would however require an acknowledgement from the Monarch that Britain ignored Irish public opinion for 120 years.

Let me educate you in some hard facts. I can't get job here but I can in the U.K.. Say no more!

Good for you. Stripping?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

It would:

1. bury the hatchet
    2. foster better relations between Ireland's two main ethnic groups, White Irish and White British.
    3. be good for tourism.

It would however require an acknowledgement from the Monarch that Britain ignored Irish public opinion for 120 years.

1 - Don't you mean the Hatchet that was buried a long time ago?.
    2 - how, and what?
    3 - how, given there is a Common travel arrangement between here and the UK?
    4 - how (and what the hell are the "pollies")?
    5 - eh, how, and that's hardly enough of a reason.

I think it fairly clear I'm taking about national politics not international -there is a difference or had you nothing really to add?

If you find an honest Banker in the UK then let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dogdig

No - as Groucho Marx said, "Any club that will have me as a member is not worth joining!!!"
    I'm with this.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

It would:

1. bury the hatchet
    3. be good for tourism.

I'll ignore all that because the commonwealth won't solve any of the above. TBH we couldn't even host the commonwealth games even if we wanted to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement