Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do you see yourself in five years?

• 10-03-2009 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Photographically speaking of course!

Apologies if it's already been posted but I did search,And found nothing,Close if there is one.

Well,yeah,Title says it all really I'd just like to see how different photographers on here will see themselves in five years,Whether it's doing the same as the are now,Working for a paper,Photo agency,Opened there own business,Freelance etc.

For me,Depending on if I go griffith college for photography I'd like to be either working with a paper,or doing freelance.Mainly in sport and press type work,Not big into wedding's yet though..

If I don't choose photography in GCD then I'd like to see myself still doing a lot in photography after work etc,I know many of you do this here and it seems like a good thing to do,As you always have something coming up :)

So what about everyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The best in the world!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Borderfox wrote: »
    The best in the world!! :)

5 years is a hell of a long time to stay at the top Keith :pac::pac::pac:

Well I'd be more then happy to be still taking photos with the enthusiasm and joy I get from it today.

"Working for a paper,Photo agency,Opened there own business,Freelance etc."

Jesus I sincerely hope not.

Something on the artistic side of photography would be a big bonus, but is not at all neccessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I don't know if there's a where photographically speaking.

I want to keep taking photographs; I've a lot of projects I want to look into over those five years. I've decided working for the man photographically speaking and my heroes make a living selling art works and calendars. I'd like to do that too. I've plans to publish post cards this year and after last year's calendar I'm tempted to turn the shipwrecks into a book, possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Photographically speaking of course!

Apologies if it's already been posted but I did search,And found nothing,Close if there is one.

Well,yeah,Title says it all really I'd just like to see how different photographers on here will see themselves in five years,Whether it's doing the same as the are now,Working for a paper,Photo agency,Opened there own business,Freelance etc.

For me,Depending on if I go griffith college for photography I'd like to be either working with a paper,or doing freelance.Mainly in sport and press type work,Not big into wedding's yet though..

If I don't choose photography in GCD then I'd like to see myself still doing a lot in photography after work etc,I know many of you do this here and it seems like a good thing to do,As you always have something coming up :)

So what about everyone else?

Pretty much the same as you.....

Grifith college is fee paying so cant see my self there.

Dont know if i will do a pure photography course, i dont want to limit myself to one specific job. I will probably do a ba in journalism in dit or u.l, always saw myself as a bit of a charlie bird type. So if i can get the story and take a good photo to go with it i'll be happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

In five years I'd like to be travelling the world and making my money through photography. Having my own style, something that stands out and people like, hopefully like so much they'd pay for it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Business wise, I will be much better
    Photographically, I will be much better

I can see myself doing less shows and more Weddings as thats were its moving at the moment, 13 booked for this year alone purely by word of mouth. I wont drop the shows but the market needs more time to recover in between each one.

Its all part of the plan...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

still deciding, will be boppin outta college just out the good side of this recession, if mba is included , so world will be my oyster...dfefinitly photo related tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

still deciding, will be boppin outta college just out the good side of this recession, if mba is included , so world will be my oyster...dfefinitly photo related tho

Will still be here wondering wtf melekalikimaka is talking about!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

everyone know the photographer legends NEVER spellchecked hehe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Tate, Turner, i-D, V, something, something, something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Fajitas! wrote: »

??????????????????????????????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

5 years?

By then i hope to have my main avenue of photography down and earning me scratch. Portraiture, but not as you know it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭countryjimbo

Fajitas! wrote: »
    ??????????????????????????????????????????

He will be working in an art gallery,

admiring the work of Turner

wishing he worked for i-D

and reading V in his spare time.

Am I right Fajitas??

Spot on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

probably still down at Poolbeg adding to my (by then) massive collection of chimney pics. :D

probably still down at Poolbeg adding to my (by then) massive collection of chimney pics. :D

And a new user name, Santa Claus :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hoping to either doing photo work part time or better yet full time and also have had a few displays under my belt

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I hope to have finished my novel, and maybe got a new camera. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If I can consider myself to be a good amateur in 5 years time I'll be happy.
    I'll probably have given in and learnt how to post-process images by then (for now I'm of the opinion that it's more important to learn how to get it right in-camera first).
    I'll hopefully have a collection of 5 years worth of progressively better photos of my little girl.

And I'll still be jealous of those talented few that can make a living from travel photography ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Up my own arse, happily living out life as an art snob! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭paulkellypix

Sitting on the business end of one of these:

stl_side_med.jpg

Drool......

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

The good side of recession. Lets hope its gone!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

5 years from now I will be deciding what I want to be and admiring my (fantastic) Leaving Cert results!!!

Or if I don't do 4th Yr I will be (happily) sitting in collage throwing paper airplanes from one side of the room to the other!

Now I will get realistic!
    I will be in collage studding something on the lines of IT, Photography or Buisness. After that I plan to be an entropnenur.

Finally I wish to be a self made millionaire!!! :)

padocon wrote: »
    I will be in collage studding something on the lines of IT, Photography or Buisness. After that I plan to be an entropnenur.

All pie in the sky, if u can't right (!) :D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

hopefully, i'll either be graduating from DIT or IADT having done photography, or my other option as a qualified radiographer who earns a bit on the side doing photography.

What type of shots i hope i'll be taking, i'm not really sure, still exploring things, all i know is i want them to be good.

I'm assuming i'll have more lenses then i do now... and also that i'll have moved on from my d40. Really, i just hope to still love photography as much as i do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Borderfox wrote: »
    I can see myself doing less shows and more Weddings

If you haven't cracked up by then. That would be my idea of photographic hell.

EDIT: Oh and as far as 5 years goes, alive to take a few photographs will do me......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

5 years time? Still on this side of the camera anyway!

As for other things...who the frick knows. See what happens.

Predictions: I think AR will have bought all of Canon's lenses by then anyway. :D :pac:

Predictions: I think AR will have bought all of Canon's lenses by then anyway. :D :pac:

He's getting on a bit CM, so maybe you'll get the first job as a Photographic Caddy, ferrying them around for him. :p;)

I can just imagine you shouting out "the 35mm, angles too tight for the 50mm" and the response :D;)

I'll be specializing in "Conflict" photography at that stage so be sure to drop me a PM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

kateos2 wrote: »
    hopefully, i'll either be graduating from DIT or IADT having done photography, or my other option as a qualified radiographer who earns a bit on the side doing photography.

What type of shots i hope i'll be taking, i'm not really sure, still exploring things, all i know is i want them to be good.

I'm assuming i'll have more lenses then i do now... and also that i'll have moved on from my d40. Really, i just hope to still love photography as much as i do now.

Damn you!
    I really regret the teacher talking me into computer science and now i missed the Jan 31st deadline for these :(

Good luck with your portfolio!

Ricky, take a year out and do a portfolio course, that way you'll know if you want to study photography for the next 5 years, or computer science. It's not on the CAO neither, so there's still plenty of time, you'll get a FETAC award, and it won't affect your (If they're still there) free education.

I did the same for fine art, and it was the best thing I could have done. I'd be a qualified nurse looking at strike now if I didn't :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

All going well, in 5 years time I'll be halfway through financing my kids college education. I'll probably also be driven halfway to distraction and fully broke....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

I guess a nice spin-off from this question is who is here is currently earning a living from photography? and how did you get yourself established?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

KylieWyley wrote: »
    I guess a nice spin-off from this question is who is here is currently earning a living from photography? and how did you get yourself established?

If you do a quick search a thread like that has been posted by Thonda a few months back

I'll possibly take a gap year now and apply at DIT and IADT for 2010 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

KylieWyley wrote: »

That thread happened some time last week.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

cool, will look it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Too many options out there at the minute and the way my job has gone it looks like I'll be made redundant within a year if I don't take a voluntary one soon. I have applied for visa's just to keep my options open and head to Seattle/Melbourne. There's a few relatives and friends in both areas who can point me in the right direction of sports journalists.

Realistically I can see myself either here or in the UK doing some sports photography for a few places. I just need to pimp my work as always and cause headaches for people :pac:

That said, when I had a lot of free time a few weeks ago I pondered the thought of photographing war zones. I know it sounds nuts but it's something exhilarating, dangerous and an eye opener.

Now don't let me think of other options or else I'll be looking to go to the far reaches of Russia or Outer Mongolia.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

kensutz wrote: »
    Too many options out there at the minute and the way my job has gone it looks like I'll be made redundant within a year if I don't take a voluntary one soon. I have applied for visa's just to keep my options open and head to Seattle/Melbourne. There's a few relatives and friends in both areas who can point me in the right direction of sports journalists.

Realistically I can see myself either here or in the UK doing some sports photography for a few places. I just need to pimp my work as always and cause headaches for people :pac:

That said, when I had a lot of free time a few weeks ago I pondered the thought of photographing war zones. I know it sounds nuts but it's something exhilarating, dangerous and an eye opener.

Now don't let me think of other options or else I'll be looking to go to the far reaches of Russia or Outer Mongolia.:D

Fair play!! I have a feeling you'll make it, whatever your decision, just don't go off and get dead before you get started!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Sitting on the business end of one of these:

stl_side_med.jpg

Drool......

Paul

jaysus I thought that was some sort of appendage enlarger ;)

Advertisement