Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good pub for a pint of Murphys?

Options
  • 10-03-2009 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

Any one any tips for a pub with good Stout?? Preferable one of those old style establishments with a fire and everything where you can feel relaxed.

The Spalpìn Fànach is great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Anywhere but the Bróg :p

I had a nice pint of some strange Irish Stout in Bierhaus actually. The airport does a decent one suprisingly in the place before departures, I've had a nice one too in Jury's I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

Im not a stout drinker but Ive worked in around the city enought to pick up a few places, the one that comes up alot is the one I cant rememebr the name of. Its right across from the classic. Small old mans pub. cosy and best pint in there or so ive been told

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Cable wrote: »
    Im not a stout drinker but Ive worked in around the city enought to pick up a few places, the one that comes up alot is the one I cant rememebr the name of. Its right across from the classic. Small old mans pub. cosy and best pint in there or so ive been told

Castle Inn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Forde's on Sullivan's Quay. On the corner by the Flying Enterprise, southgate bridge.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

counihans down oliver plunkett street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

D-Generate wrote: »
    Castle Inn?

yes thank you, thats the one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rumtumtiddles

Costigans Washington Street

Anyone tried the Sextant yet- newly refurbed- looks good from the outside- once a dockers pub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Anyone tried the Sextant yet- newly refurbed- looks good from the outside- once a dockers pub

Ya it's cool, busy the first couple of weeks with the novelty factor I suppose, and they're still giving out free food. Comfortable, some good music, and nice and close to my office. Bit of a change from the docker days.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

free food??...
    and it's pretty close to where I work.
    Must pop in soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

mik_da_man wrote: »
    free food??...
    and it's pretty close to where I work.
    Must pop in soon

Well maybe that was only for the first three weeks, so it could be done now, but there were lots of bowls of fancy spicy sausages, vol-o-vents, chicken gougons, falafel (I think), etc. going around the place. Enough to earn my loyalty anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

definitely the oval on south main street, nice pints, has open fire etc

bodhran or hi-b on oliver plunket street and clancys on princess street are good too

• Registered Users Posts: 31,695 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Dan Lowry's on McCurtain St is awesome for the pints of black.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I can tell you some of the pubs in the western suburbs are best avoided for the pint of black as very few students drink it. Have had a few very bad hangovers after just a few pints from certain pubs - perfect after other pubs. The taps are dirty/not cleaned when they are rarely used, so go to a pub that sells alot of Murphys.

I'd say Counihans should be still good as it used to be a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Go to any "old Man's" Bar's. They will have the best Stout.

The Friar's Walk Tavern is probably one of the best!

The trendier the bar, though, the more uncertain I would be as younger people tend to drink lagers, spirits, shots, drinks in a bottle etc.

Advertisement