Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Rip off Ireland" forum. What's the point?

Options
  • 10-03-2009 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭

I can't for the life of me see the point of this forum.

I quick look at recent threads reveals rip off crisps, expensive bike insurance and HMV in Dublin being too expensive. All true no doubt, however anyone who has just realised that we overpay for things in this country needs their head examined. We've been doing it for years and everyone knows it.

If there is one thing about the recession it's that Irish people are finally getting more clued up about what they spend their money on. Rather than allowing people to wallow in the horror of getting ripped off, they should be encouraged to head directly to the "Bargain Alerts" forum which is generally very good on the latest money saving offers. Stickies should be made referencing "how too" guides on getting cheap insurance, cheap dvds and cutting the cost of the weekly shop etc.

Rather than rant about it we should be doing something about it by actively getting the best value for our money. The information and cheaper prices are out there. It's just a matter of encouraging people to find the best price.

My two cents.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Looks like it's so that they keep the moaning to one forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Mezcita wrote: »
    I can't for the life of me see the point of this forum.

I quick look at recent threads reveals rip off crisps, expensive bike insurance and HMV in Dublin being too expensive. All true no doubt, however anyone who has just realised that we overpay for things in this country needs their head examined. We've been doing it for years and everyone knows it.

The rip off Ireland forum's been there for years. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    The rip off Ireland forum's been there for years. I think.

Irrelevant point. Just because something has always been there or is always the way something is done does not make it in any way right.

Having said that, I can fully see the point of the rip-off forum. It can be useful for avoiding places that rip people off.

The only problem I have with it is when some of the regulars like to lay into people basically calling them stupid for buying something to begin with when it is a rip-off. So what..they made a mistake and are trying to help others by pointing out the rip-off now...leave em be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

That's terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

OP, why don't you start threads giving tips on how to get cheaper insurance etc and ask people to contribute and the mods to sticky it?

You don't like the topics that are there. Why not try and get some new ones going and get people interested? They don't come from thin air - it's the posters that make forums worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Not more stickies :(

Edit : Rip Off Ireland forum has only 3. Grand, sorry, carry on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

watna wrote: »
    OP, why don't you start threads giving tips on how to get cheaper insurance etc and ask people to contribute and the mods to sticky it?

You don't like the topics that are there. Why not try and get some new ones going and get people interested? They don't come from thin air - it's the posters that make forums worthwhile.

Yeah I'd be happy too. But to be honest if I was looking for discounts on CD's or insurance (or whatever) I would hardly go to a forum called "Rip off Ireland" as a starting point.

Bargain Alerts is a decent forum and is quite busy. That's where most decent stuff relating to moneysaving antics should probably go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

It's about creating consumer awareness.

Advertisement