Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcamahol/Cigareets/Petrol duty

Options
  • 10-03-2009 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the new price of cigarettes will be?
    I'm feckin praying they'll be 11 or 12 Euro, then I'll definitely give 'em up.

If they're 9 Euro, I'll just end up buying them from the Russian lads, and the other pack in the shops and I'll never give up

===================

Also, anybody know how much the carbon tax on petrol/diesel is going to be?

===================

FYI, new tax rates are gonna be:
    Lower (23%)
    Middle (44%)
    Upper (48%)

*Does anyone know where the 3 tax bands will start/finish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the new price of cigarettes will be?
    I'm feckin praying they'll be 11 or 12 Euro, then I'll definitely give 'em up.

Another 50c increase I'd guess. €1 at most. Anything more and the risk of actually losing revenue is too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Another 50c increase I'd guess. €1 at most. Anything more and the risk of actually losing revenue is too much.

Or adding to inflation, wonder if they'll take a proper pot shot at alcohol this time or leave it untouched.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I don't drink, so not arsed about alcohol.
    I hope they'll taxe the ****e out of cigarettes tho.

If its a minor increase, they'll just create a new black market.
    If its a major increase, people will just pack it in.

I wonder if customs will try to clamp down.

Its currently E2.50 for 20cigarettes in Tenerife.
    Its gonna be E10.00 for 20 cigarettes in Ireland soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Yeah they need the money too badly to actually attempt a tax increase that would kill (legal) demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

The alcohol industry is huge in ireland is people are drinking way less than they were two years ago, I'd be suprised if it went up, it would even makes sense to bring t down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement