Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Police officer shot dead in Armagh

Options
  • 10-03-2009 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7933990.stm
    Police officer shot dead in town

_45551106_breakingnews_226x170.jpg
    A police officer has died following a shooting incident in Craigavon, County Armagh.
    The incident is understood to have happened near Lismore High School at Brownlow.
    Police came under attack while investigating suspicious activity near the school.
    The attack follows the weekend murder of two soldiers outside an Army base in Antrim. The Real IRA said they were responsible for that shooting.
    Sappers Mark Quinsey, 23, from Birmingham and Patrick Azimkar, 21, from London, were shot dead at Massereene Army base, Antrim.
    The soldiers were killed as they accepted a pizza delivery at about 2120 GMT on Saturday.
    Four other people, including two pizza delivery men - Anthony Watson, 19, from Antrim and a Polish man in his 30s - were injured in that attack.

I hope to God its not what we think it is!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Theres also been a pipe bomb found outside a Sinn Fein office and police are nearby Lurgans police station for a reported suspicious object.

Not been reported if the police officer was a Catholic but the RIRA were rumoured to be targeting these people for defecting to the PSNI. Its been rumoured they felt too many Catholics had joined the PSNI.

If it turns out to be a retaliation, thats even worse news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Absolutely disgusting, this just sickens me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

This is very worrying, I suspect the worst. 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Ireland is not a good place at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Very worrying development.........I hear on Sky News quote ' 2 British Soldiers have been killed on the streets of the United Kingdom ' unquote

Surely this type of reporting will not help

Very worrying development.........I hear on Sky News quote ' 2 British Soldiers have been killed on the streets of the United Kingdom ' unquote

Tabloid Sky News at it's best-they show their top 10 youtube videos of the day after that report? Don't have anytime for their new "shock" style of reporting, very low brow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Sky news are as bad as Max clifford with stuff like this.
    God help the people up there ,as if things weren't bad enough for everyone at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

There'll be scalps over this. The Brits are going to hit hard at a number of groups as a result of these actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They are correct, it is the United Kingdom.

FTA69 wrote: »
    There'll be scalps over this. The Brits are going to hit hard at a number of groups as a result of these actions.

Its nothing to do with the Brits.

If the RIRA have killed Catholics..............we have a civil war (between the nationalists***).

I'm not saying civil war in Northern Ireland - between the PIRA and the RIRA/CIRA.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    They are correct, it is the United Kingdom.

Correct they may be, but adding fuel to the fire doesn't help imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Not been reported if the police officer was a Catholic

As it shouldn't be.....who cares ? Someone's dead.

As for the "part of the UK" reporting; factually correct.

If the RIRA have killed Catholics..............we have a civil war.

Death threats where sent to catholic PSNI officers, basing "civil war" on religion is a bit far imo, after all the Polish pizza lad who was shot is more than likely a catholic?

segaBOY wrote: »
    Death threats where sent to catholic PSNI officers, basing "civil war" on religion is a bit far imo, after all the Polish pizza lad who was shot is more than likely a catholic?

Its not on the basis of religion mate.

If the Shinners and PIRA are pro-treaty, then the RIRA are anti-treaty.
    That treaty being the Good Friday agreement.

There is a power struggle and the RIRA are trying to undermine Adams, Sinn Fein and the PIRA.

Its not on the basis of religion mate.

If the Shinners and PIRA are pro-treaty, then the RIRA are anti-treaty.
    That treaty being the Good Friday agreement.

So you mean civil war between the RIRA and a non existent PIRA as such?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Jesus.

Sounds like the **** is in the process of hitting the fan up there.

Indeed, it does. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Sincere condolences to his family and colleagues. I for one am seriously worried this will escalate too fast for anything to be done soon enough to put breaks on what could unfold

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Is it the RIRA that killed this officer?

Pangea wrote: »
    Is it the RIRA that killed this officer?

Noone has claimed responsibility yet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Of course it has. Don't be silly, it'll be the British government and the British Army and intelligence elite who will be dictating the response to these recent events.
    If the RIRA have killed Catholics..............we have a civil war.

What are you on about? The Reals killed two Brits and a PSNI member, religion doesn't factor into it at all. That having been said, a Loyalist reaction is possible, but it has sh*te all to do with "killed Catholics".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Not been reported if the police officer was a Catholic but the RIRA were rumoured to be targeting these people for defecting to the PSNI. Its been rumoured they felt too many Catholics had joined the PSNI.

Not having a go at you but I just have to say who the **** do the IRA think they are?! Catholics (and people of any other religion) in the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom can have any occupation they want; it's none of the IRA's business.

Terrible events tonight and on Saturday. Condolences to the families, friends and colleagues of the deceased.

FTA69 wrote: »

Of course it has. Don't be silly, it'll be the British government and the British Army and intelligence elite who will be dictating the response to these recent events.

What are you on about? The Reals killed two Brits and a PSNI member, religion doesn't factor into it at all. That having been said, a Loyalist reaction is possible, but it has sh*te all to do with "killed Catholics".

Loyalist reaction??

Do you know what the Good Friday agreement is?

Dissident loyalist reaction.

KevR wrote: »
    Not having a go at you but I just have to say who the **** do the IRA think they are?! Catholics (and people of any other religion) in the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom can have any occupation they want; it's none of the IRA's business.

Terrible events tonight and on Saturday. Condolences to the families, friends and colleagues of the deceased.

Just to clarify - the RIRA were involved in the attacks on the two soldiers (when I say soldiers, they were 2 unarmed, off duty, Engineers and 1 of them jumped on the Polish Pizza man to save his life).

Don't get confused.
    The PIRA haven't broken the ceasefire.

We don't know who did this yet.
    Its best to wait until it gets confirmed before we speculate anymore I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sylvestersuntan

Mass unemployment, sensless killing north of the boarder.
    All the old memories of life during the 80's and early 90's in Ireland are coming flooding back, and I dont like it!
    The next few years are gonna be some shock to the system for anyone under 25!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sylvestersuntan

IRA?
    You might want to check your facts their boss.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sean11

segaBOY wrote: »
    Tabloid Sky News at it's best.
    Typical SKY News, they are so trashy now. Wait till you see as soon as someone farts in NI it will be a bomb!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

IRA?
    You might want to check your facts their boss.........

What facts might these be?

I commented on what DannyBoy83 said about the RIRA 'feeling' that too many Catholics are joining the PSNI. I don't think they have any right to 'feel' this way - as I said, it's not any of their business what people decide to have as their occupation. I didn't say they were responsible for tonight's killing. Whether they were or they weren't, they have no right to 'feel' anything (never mind inflict violence on people) because of their chosen career path.

Are you being knarky that I wrote IRA instead of RIRA or did you misread my post and think that I pointed blame at someone before anything has been confirmed? I honestly don't know why you took exception..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Mass unemployment, sensless killing north of the boarder.
    All the old memories of life during the 80's and early 90's in Ireland are coming flooding back, and I dont like it!
    The next few years are gonna be some shock to the system for anyone under 25!

Yes we do seem to be hurtling toward our nations child hood with more expensive tastes.

That pesky tourism industry needed killing off.

• Advertisement

What facts might these be?

I commented on what DannyBoy83 said about the RIRA 'feeling' that too many Catholics are joining the PSNI. I don't think they have any right to 'feel' this way - as I said, it's not any of their business what people decide to have as their occupation. I didn't say they were responsible for tonight's killing. Whether they were or they weren't, they have no right to 'feel' anything (never mind inflict violence on people) because of their chosen career path.

Are you being knarky that I wrote IRA instead of RIRA or did you misread my post and think that I pointed blame at someone before anything has been confirmed? I honestly don't know why you took exception..

Important that you understand this clearly mate:
    The IRA are totally different to the PIRA or the RIRA or whoever use the letters IRA.

IRA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Republican_Army
    http://www.corkcity.ie/aboutcork/historyofcork/theburningofcork/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Potato_Famine

P-IRA:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provisional_Irish_Republican_Army
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Sunday_(1972)

R-IRA:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_IRA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omagh_bombing

Read the links and make your mind up.

Anyone who knows Irish history will be *frustrated* if you mistake the IRA with the R-IRA

Advertisement