Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Police officer shot dead in Armagh

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

FTA69 wrote: »
    As I said, I find it highly unlikely that Duffy would be affiliated to the Real IRA for reasons I already outlined.

You really haven't your entire argument is that Duffy was involved with Erigil, an organisation that dumps the blame on all violence on the British government and says that violent struggle isn't the way to go "at this time" Mahtama Gandhi they ain't.

Whether you care to admit it or not the cops do have a vendetta against Duffy, they've arrested him before on trumped up charges, raided his house, stopped him in his car, searched him umpteen times, kicked the sh*t out of him etc etc, his own solicitor was murdered by Loyalist paramilitaries, some of whom were paid informers. Some papers (most likely on the back of police "sources") also stated he was having an affair with Rosemary Nelson and all other sorts of slanderous b*llocks.

Duffy only surfaces on my radar after these murders, I cannot comment on your claims because I don't know the particulars. Perhaps you can enlighten us.

Its worth pointing out that Nelson represented republicans both guilty and innocent.
    All of this stems back to the fact that Duffy was acquitted of killing two RUC officers in 1997.

So you deny Duffy did this. Simply question do you condemn the murders?
    Their security agenda is dictated by MI5, an organisation that is not accountable and has engaged in murder and collusion with death squads in order to kill people in this country. Similarly the same MI5 is also engaged in espionage the length and breadth of this island. The cops, British Army and British Intelligence are all interwoven in this country and all serve the same agenda, the security of British jurisdiction in Ireland.

Ah go on you wouldn't have a wee bit of evidence to support this claim?
    Similarly we have seen the PSNI engage in the harrassment of Republicans and nationalists, I can think of umpteen examples where they have engaged in assault (breaking Gary Donnelly's arm in Derry) as well as blatantly lying in court in order to falsely charge two Éirigi members with assaulting an officer and resisting arrest. (After they had beaten one peaceful protestor unconscious.)

For an organisation supposedly dedicated to a peaceful resistance to british occupation they do find themselves in a fair few we scraps.
    Last time I was pulled over by them they certainly weren't too "professional".

Evidence? Did you bring it the the Ombudsman?
    I sympathise with the families of those killed, but I'm not sympathetic toward any British soldier. That's what they signed up to when they decided to take up a job that involves them invading and occupying other peoples' countries.

Child, they were engineers. They build things.

What you prefer the return of the taliban, stadiums turned into execution grounds, women raped and subservient to men, lack of education, the banning of music?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

You really haven't your entire argument is that Duffy was involved with Erigil, an organisation that dumps the blame on all violence on the British government and says that violent struggle isn't the way to go "at this time" Mahtama Gandhi they ain't.

Now you're trying to insinuate that there is barely a difference between the Real IRA and Éirigi when the fact is they are gulfs apart in terms of their outlook.
    Duffy only surfaces on my radar after these murders, I cannot comment on your claims because I don't know the particulars. Perhaps you can enlighten us.

I already did, and outlined previous examples of harrassment.
    So you deny Duffy did this.

All I know is that he is a hate figure for the police.
    For an organisation supposedly dedicated to a peaceful resistance to british occupation they do find themselves in a fair few we scraps.

The activist in question was knocked unconscious throughout the course of a peaceful protest.
    Ah go on you wouldn't have a wee bit of evidence to support this claim?

I already posted a link to that effect.
    Evidence?

I was stopped in a car with three other members of Ógra Shinn Féin outside Omagh, Co Tyrone in 2004. Two cops who had previously been outside a venue outside which many Ógra members were in proceeded to drive after us and pull us over. They made a big song and dance about breathalysing the driver, made us all get outside of the car before searching us. Elaborately checked the tyres as well as the tax and insurance details, made the driver open the boot. Spent ten odd minutes rooting around in our bags, knocking our stuff all over the road. They also spent another ten odd minutes looking through a digital camera claiming it was used to take photos of the police etc etc. Then came the usual name/address/date of birth routine.

I refused to give my date of birth upon which I was informed I was a "cheeky Fenian c*nt" and was told "f*ck off back to my own country".

Charming bunch altogether. Now regards "evidence", I doubt the cops would have left me film proceedings in the event I'd have to prove the event took place during the course of a discussion on boards.ie
    Did you bring it the the Ombudsman?

Why would I bother my hole, what's she going to do about it?
    Child, they were engineers. They build things.

They were also soliders. They shoot things.

The fact you may be an army chef, mechanic, sapper, lorry driver doesn't make a sh*te of a difference. You're still in uniform, you're still armed and you're still well able to take part in operations and manouevers.
    What you prefer the return of the taliban, stadiums turned into execution grounds, women raped and subservient to men, lack of education, the banning of music?

I didn't like Saddam Hussein either, that doesn't mean carpet-bombing the sh*t out of people to facilitate oil and oil pipelines is anymore agreeable or justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

"What you prefer the return of the taliban, stadiums turned into execution grounds, women raped and subservient to men, lack of education, the banning of music?"

Don't forget the banning of films,kites,games,TV,all books except the Koran,nearly all sports,the closure of museums,the destruction of historic monuments 1,300 years old,the persecution of every woman not wearing a burka and every man not wearing a beard...and last but not least, the murder of diplomats and the slaughter of "heretics" by the tens of thousands. And they were considering making every Christian, Hindu and Buddhist in the country wear a badge just before they were routed. Remember the last time badge-wearing for minorities was enforced?

But by the mentality of some people if they are fighting against the dastardy Brits, then they must be good guys by definition. Also, according to these apologists, they brought order. Very important, that.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Now you're trying to insinuate that there is barely a difference between the Real IRA and Éirigi when the fact is they are gulfs apart in terms of their outlook.

One thinks that armed struggle isn't appropriate at the present time, the other thinks it is, it's hardly the difference between the royal marines and the sodding peace corp.

I already did, and outlined previous examples of harrassment.

So to be clear, Duffy should be allowed be a member of a political group with an ambiguous attitude towards violence, and shouldn't expect a degree of police attention.
    All I know is that he is a hate figure for the police.

Aw bless.
    The activist in question was knocked unconscious throughout the course of a peaceful protest.

So he/she was standing around in a mahatma coat and got thumped?
    I already posted a link to that effect.

No, no you didn't
    I was stopped in a car with three other members of Ógra Shinn Féin outside Omagh, Co Tyrone in 2004. Two cops who had previously been outside a venue outside which many Ógra members were in proceeded to drive after us and pull us over. They made a big song and dance about breathalysing the driver, made us all get outside of the car before searching us. Elaborately checked the tyres as well as the tax and insurance details, made the driver open the boot. Spent ten odd minutes rooting around in our bags, knocking our stuff all over the road. They also spent another ten odd minutes looking through a digital camera claiming it was used to take photos of the police etc etc. Then came the usual name/address/date of birth routine.

So they did nothing illegal then? Okay good

Child, back in my misspent youth, I spent an awful lot of time helping to run illegal raves, I've been stopped and searched, many times, what you seem to think is some kind of vicious harassment is something I endured as well. They're doing their jobs.
    I refused to give my date of birth upon which I was informed I was a "cheeky Fenian c*nt" and was told "f*ck off back to my own country".

So lets be clear, you were asked a civil question and were obstreperous about it, and then they called you a mean name.

Gosh how did you survive such an awful trauma.
    Charming bunch altogether.

Irony thy name is feinan.

Now regards "evidence", I doubt the cops would have left me film proceedings in the event I'd have to prove the event took place during the course of a discussion on boards.ie

Okay to be clear, the police engaged in stop and search, you got in a strop and got mad when they didn't bend over backwards for you.

So you're expecting basic level of civility and courtesy from people that you won't supply the same to?

If you're going to treat them like the enemy, why should they say "please sir" "No sir" "thank you sir". You've already admitted you see them as an alien occupation force, and at best you sympathise with those trying to kill them, and you want them to behave with exaggerated courtesy?

Seriously? The double standard in behaviour you expect simply beggars belief.

Well lets see since her office was formed she gets 51% ish of her complaints from the protestant community, and 49% from the catholic community. A ethic split that accurately reflects the size of both communities. She's changed the rules of engagement and investigation procedure when police use live ammo.

Your cynical little snide remark betrays your lack of maturity and unwillingness to move on.

Unlike the IRA who gun down men and pizza delivery boys. Oh wait.

The fact you may be an army chef, mechanic, sapper, lorry driver doesn't make a sh*te of a difference. You're still in uniform, you're still armed and you're still well able to take part in operations and manouevers.

I genuinely pity you.
    I didn't like Saddam Hussein either, that doesn't mean carpet-bombing the sh*t out of people to facilitate oil and oil pipelines is anymore agreeable or justified.

Yeah if he was nicking red diesel and dumping the pollutants in local rivers that'd make him a hero yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

What did you expect, you refused to give the Police your date of birth > tough titties to you matey!
    Charming bunch altogether. Now regards "evidence", I doubt the cops would have left me film proceedings in the event I'd have to prove the event took place during the course of a discussion on boards.ie

Ouch, charming indeed (& the soldiers were murdered)! You sound like a nasty piece of work FTA69, you are angry, you are irritable, opinionated & obnoxious, you are also very lucky the Police didn't stick you in the back of a van & take you down the nick for the night ...................

I will never understand some people, always wanting to pick a fight, always wanting to be controversial, always the outsider, and always claiming to be in the right!

This Thread is meant to be about a Policeman who was shot dead for no reason, and now we have you spouting off about all the injustices the police do to you, but we hear very little in the way of condemnation for the murder of PC Stephen Carroll.

• Advertisement

One thinks that armed struggle isn't appropriate at the present time, the other thinks it is, it's hardly the difference between the royal marines and the sodding peace corp.

Rather one is a proscribed, conspiratorial armed group that engages in violent activities and one is a legal, open political party. Having a similar goal doesn't mean they are birds of a feather considering their activities are poles apart.
    So to be clear, Duffy should be allowed be a member of a political group with an ambiguous attitude towards violence, and shouldn't expect a degree of police attention.

Duffy was the subject of harassment long before Éirigi even existed.
    So he/she was standing around in a mahatma coat and got thumped?

I believe they were engaging in a peaceful sit-in with the cops waded in started thumping people.
    So they did nothing illegal then? Okay good

Stopping cars and engaging in the whole stop-and-search rigmarole for no reason constituted police harrasment. They knew full well we were Republicans and decided to pull us over and act the b*llocks. That's the long and short of it really.
    Child, back in my misspent youth, I spent an awful lot of time helping to run illegal raves, I've been stopped and searched, many times, what you seem to think is some kind of vicious harassment is something I endured as well. They're doing their jobs.

Oh don't get me wrong, that's not the first time I've experienced an uplifing rapport with a cop, or experienced their quaint hospitality. Now if the cops pulled you for organising "raves" where class A drugs were probably being sold in bulk (I could be wrong, but that's usually what happened in "raves" in the 1980s and 1990s) then they were doing their job. Pulling people over, acting the complete b*llocks and calling people "c*nts" certainly doesn't constitute "doing their jobs". But what would you expect from a pig only a grunt.
    So lets be clear, you were asked a civil question and were obstreperous about it, and then they called you a mean name.

Not really. I informed Ulster's Finest that I wasn't obliged to give my date of birth. Shy of giving my name and address, comings and goings I have nothing to say to any of them about anything. As is my right I believe.

If you've ever undergone questioning (as you said you have) you would know that leads you down a route where they try and worm stuff out of you.
    Okay to be clear, the police engaged in stop and search, you got in a strop and got mad when they didn't bend over backwards for you.

So you're expecting basic level of civility and courtesy from people that you won't supply the same to?

If you're going to treat them like the enemy, why should they say "please sir" "No sir" "thank you sir". You've already admitted you see them as an alien occupation force, and at best you sympathise with those trying to kill them, and you want them to behave with exaggerated courtesy?

A stop and search which was undertaken with a view of winding us up for no reason i.e throwing our sh*t all over the side of the road. I don't like the PSNI, I never pretended otherwise, nor am I under any illusion that they're anything but an occupation force. I was simply using my example as one of how they aren't all a fantastic bunch.
    I genuinely pity you.

Thanks for your concern.

Camelot,
    You sound like a nasty piece of work FTA69, you are angry, you are irritable, opinionated & obnoxious,

You don't even know me to be honest so spare me the psycho-analysis please.
    you are also very lucky the Police didn't stick you in the back of a van & take you down the nick for the night ...................

F*ck them, it wouldn't have been the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

OK, loads of posts from FTA since attempt number 3, and not one of them answered what seemed to me to be a perfectly reasonable question, which leads me to believe that I am possibly on FTA's ignore list, or else there's no possible way to answer the question.

I would previously have been against making assumptions - hence my repeated requests for clarification - but they've been completely ignored. I would have actually welcomed a clarification, as I would have been relieved if he clarified that yes, he intended his signature to mean "if Duffy is innocent, release him" (which would be my own view), or indeed if it were his belief that "Duffy is innocent", but it seems that in the absence of either a clarification or a change in the signature that an assumption is required.

And since I don't know everything and don't want to slander anyone or make a statement on their bona fides or reasons, I'll simply invite all readers of this thread to draw their own conclusions on why the objectionable signature has been neither clarified nor adjusted.

I'd still appreciate a clarification (since the possible interpretation that I wanted refuted is so sickening as to turn my stomach that I was hoping I was wrong, hence giving FTA numerous chances to clarify), but it looks like I'm not going to get it - the "Free Colin Duffy [regardless]" seems to be as cemented in place as the mindset.

I clarified it already Liam. I think Colin Duffy is being felon-set, therefore I feel he should be freed. That's it in a nutshell really.

I'm not going to go around editing my profile because you want to go nit-picking.

I clarified it already Liam. I think Colin Duffy is being felon-set, therefore I feel he should be freed. That's it in a nutshell really.

I'm not going to go around editing my profile because you want to go nit-picking.

I don't know what "felon-set" means, but you've repeatedly claimed there's a vendetta against him and demanded his release, without once saying "he's innocent", as far as I can see. If you have, please point it out to me, because I don't want to misrepresent.

Like I said - vendetta or no vendetta, he could still be either innocent OR guilty. And if you know the guy and think/believe he is onnocent, fair play; my issue is that neither your sig nor even his family statement claims he's innocent.

Innocent people should be released (and that 100% includes him if he is). Guilty people should not.

Stopping cars and engaging in the whole stop-and-search rigmarole for no reason constituted police harrasment.

In a normal society, possibly. When there's dodgy goings-on, most people wouldn't object.

And if - as some people claim - there's a "war" ongoing, it's to be expected.

Funnily enough, it's the people who claim that there's a war on that object.

• Advertisement

I don't know what "felon-set"

Felon-setting, a build up to blaming the wrong people.
    without once saying "he's innocent", as far as I can see. If you have, please point it out to me, because I don't want to misrepresent.

Like I said - vendetta or no vendetta, he could still be either innocent OR guilty. And if you know the guy and think/believe he is onnocent, fair play; my issue is that neither your sig nor even his family statement claims he's innocent.

In all fairness Liam I've been saying I believe he's innocent from the start of this bloody thread. Likewise his family also say he's being set up as well. That's very clear in many of my posts.
    And if - as some people claim - there's a "war" ongoing, it's to be expected.

Considering this was seven years after the resumption of the ceasefire, 2004, I never said there was a "war" going on at all.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Felon-setting, a build up to blaming the wrong people.
    The implication being that the PSNI would prefer to pin something on Duffy than to bring the killer of their colleague to justice.

That's just bizarre.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    The implication being that the PSNI would prefer to pin something on Duffy than to bring the killer of their colleague to justice.

That's just bizarre.

Or that they had trouble finding the real killers and decided to stick it on a prominant Republican "dissident". That isn't so bizarre, you'd swear they never did it before like.

And bear in mind he's not up on charges for shooting the cop, he's been charged with the Massarrene ambush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

the government does not want to do anything that would undermine sinn fein and by implication the assembly, and the PSNI arresting the wrong person would do just that

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

That's just bizarre.

bizarre as it may be they the psni/ruc have proven many times that no level of skullduggery is beyond them,

i think people in the south are making the mistake of thinking the psni/ruc are a normal police force they are buying into this myth that has been perpetrated by the powers that be, they are not a normal police force, there members are made up of over 74 percent of people from a unionist background which is a drasticly un-representative proportin in regards the make up of the populations ethnicity.

lets not forget there is substantial evidence to support the idea of cullusion between this same police force and the loyalists who murdered colin duffys solicitor Rosemary Nelson in 1999 for no other reason than she was representing a Republican.

TomRooney wrote: »
    bizarre as it may be they the psni/ruc have proven many times that no level of skullduggery is beyond them,

i think people in the south are making the mistake of thinking the psni/ruc are a normal police force they are buying into this myth that has been perpetrated by the powers that be, they are not a normal police force, there members are made up of over 74 percent of people from a unionist background which is a drasticly un-representative proportin in regards the make up of the populations ethnicity.

lets not forget there is substantial evidence to support the idea of cullusion between this same police force and the loyalists who murdered colin duffys solicitor Rosemary Nelson in 1999 for no other reason than she was representing a Republican.
    lets also not forget that the PSNI officer who was recently murdered by a republican paramiltary group was a catholic police officer and lets also not forget that all the recent murder bids on police officer by republican paramiltary groups were also catholic police officers

And then spread packs of lies stating she was having an affair with him.

Junder,
    lets also not forget that the PSNI officer who was recently murdered by a republican paramiltary group was a catholic police officer and lets also not forget that all the recent murder bids on police officer by republican paramiltary groups were also catholic police officers

Sure what has that got to do with anything? Personally I couldn't care less what religion a PSNI officer may be, 74% Protestant, 26% Catholic, 100% British.

junder wrote: »

religion is irrelevant, stop bringing it up i said unionist not protestant, not all unionists are protestant, and not all Repubublicans are catholic.
    and besides this has nothing to do with the fact the psni have proven many times they are a political force who routinely involve thmeselves in bigotry and prejudice.

religion is irrelevant, stop bringing it up i said unionist not protestant, not all unionists are protestant, and not all Repubublicans are catholic.
    and besides this has nothing to do with the fact the psni have proven many times they are a political force who routinely involve thmeselves in bigotry and prejudice.

and not all PSNI officers are unionist, remember the PSNI officer passing out with his grandfathers IRA medal

and not all PSNI officers are unionist, remember the PSNI officer passing out with his grandfathers IRA medal

get a grip, you have to have serious mental problems or must be detached from reality to claim the psni are not a majority unionist organisation.
    your fooling nobody but yourself. they are an inherintly prejudiced and sectarian organisation.

• Advertisement

get a grip, you have to have serious mental problems or must be detached from reality to claim the psni are not a majority unionist organisation.
    your fooling nobody but yourself. they are an inherintly prejudiced and sectarian organisation.
    yer so sectarian and bigoted they allowed a PSNI officer pass out with his grandfathers IRA Medal.

He didn't claim that, and if you're going to insult people for saying things they didn't say, I'll conclude that you're trolling and act accordingly.
    Which is why a quarter of the force is nationalist.

Stupid prejudiced sectarian unionist nationalist pigs.

The Catholic police officer that was murdered and the other Catholic police officers that were the victems of attempted murders, do any of you actully know the political affliation of them, any ideas what party they might vote because i sure as hell don't which is why i used the term catholic police officer since i have no idea if they are unionist, nationalist or monster raving loony party and i suspect neither do you

He didn't claim that, and if you're going to insult people for saying things they didn't say, I'll conclude that you're trolling and act accordingly. Which is why a quarter of the force is nationalist.

Stupid prejudiced sectarian unionist nationalist pigs.

let me break it down foryou oscar, a qaurter of the psni are catholic not nesecceraly nationalist, whereas 3 qaurters of the psni are unionists as im sure common sense will tell you a simple name change does not change the ideology of a force.

also the psni/ruc have been involved in making death threats and were complicit in the murders against civilians such as rosemary nelson, and pat finnucane two solicitors whos only crime was to represent an Irish Republican.

the have consistantly shown themselves to be a sectarian and bigoted force, and have been involved in all types of collusion with the loyalist murder sqauds who they shared intel with regularly all in the name of british unionism.

now you can go on and pretend they are a legitiamte and normal police force but the facts contradict this assertion, if you realy think they are the same as the gardai siochana then you are defaming the good name of the gardai by doing so.

The Catholic police officer that was murdered and the other Catholic police officers that were the victems of attempted murders, do any of you actully know the political affliation of them, any ideas what party they might vote because i sure as hell don't which is why i used the term catholic police officer since i have no idea if they are unionist, nationalist or monster raving loony party and i suspect neither do you

well lets look at the facts, the catholic police officer that was killed was a long standing member of the RUC nearly 30 years i believe he served with them, the time he would have joined there was widespread and open sectarianis and bigotry imposed on nationalists by the RUC and the unionist government, now are you realy trying to say in these type of conditions that a nationalist would join a bigoted sectarian force ...?

realy think about your claim.

That's spot on really, one's religion doesn't determine their political affiliation.
    now are you realy trying to say in these type of conditions that a nationalist would join a bigoted sectarian force ...?

He didn't say he was a nationalist, just that he was a Catholic.

well lets look at the facts, the catholic police officer that was killed was a long standing member of the RUC nearly 30 years i believe he served with them, the time he would have joined there was widespread and open sectarianis and bigotry imposed on nationalists by the RUC and the unionist government, now are you realy trying to say in these type of conditions that a nationalist would join a bigoted sectarian force ...?

realy think about your claim.

As i said i don't know his political affliation, do you? or are you just assuming?

let me break it down foryou oscar, a qaurter of the psni are catholic not nesecceraly nationalist, whereas 3 qaurters of the psni are unionists...
    The irony is delicious.
    as im sure common sense will tell you a simple name change does not change the ideology of a force.
    If you think that the name is the only thing that's changed, common sense is something you need a large injection of.
    also the psni/ruc have been involved in making death threats against civilians such as rosemary nelson, and pat finnucane two solicitors whos only crime was to represent an Irish Republican.

the have consistantly shown themselves to be a sectarian and bigoted force, and have been involved in all types of collusion with the loyalist murder sqauds who they shared intel with regularly all in the name of british unionism.
    Only if you stick your head in the sand and refuse to accept that the PSNI isn't the RUC. I know that to do so is mandatory in order to preserve your carefully constructed worldview, but forgive me if I choose to spend my time in the real world instead.
    now you can go on and pretend they are a legitiamte and normal police force but the facts contradict this assertion, if you realy think they are the same as the gardai siochana then you are defaming the good name of the gardai by doing so.
    But we all know that there wre some dodgy goings-on in the force in Donegal, right? And, since it's completely impossible to reform a police force, and since a police force's entire ethos is defined by the actions of some of its members, then why should the Gardaí have a good name?

You wouldn't be indulging in some double standards now, would you?

• Advertisement

That's spot on really, one's religion doesn't determine their political affiliation.

He didn't say he was a nationalist, just that he was a Catholic.

yes FTA i know what he said, my point is when the psni officer who was killed joined it was a time of war in Ireland, he would not have joined the force if he was a nationalist which leaves the other option he was a catholic unionist, he was trying to claim the psni is now a representation of the community and is therefore valid, which is a false claim.

Advertisement