Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers back on inner relief road

Options
  • 10-03-2009 2:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

there are now 6 caravans and associated vans dogs and kitchen and toilet waste parked up on the footpath just past the Eire og clubhouse and yet again the impotent council are doing very little to move these caravans on from their illegal camping ground.

do the council not care about local residents having to walk along the road instead of using the new footpath? are people's houses not devalued enough without having an illegal and unofficial halting site around the corner?

ps: i am not anti traveller but why did they park up on the footpath when the road is more than wide enough for a row of caravans etc without affecting the traffic flow?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

The council is afraid of them.
    end of.

give the Gardas a ring, enough calls and they take action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Jim K

Driving past the Tinryland club this morning and I see that some caravans have moved into an area just up from the clubhouse.
    Maybe they are interested in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

theres nothing wrong with this thread so far, but i just want to bring peoples attention to this part of the forum charter

Note 2:- We understand that discussion of travellers can be a very touchy subject, which is why we ask for calm and common sense when posting. Terms such as pikeys, knackers, knick-knacks and the likes are deemed offensive and the use of such terms derail a thread into a bitch fest between anti-travellers and those defending them. The same is said to those who suggest that travellers should be all killed etc. To avoid this, we ask that when discussing them please just refer to them as "travellers" or "members of the travelling community". Discussion is not banned, but the use of stupid comments is banned. Thanks for your understanding.

just be mindful of this anyone posting in this thread

thanks

Patrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i am not anti traveller but

Why is there always a but?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

testicle wrote: »

Well, there's always a 'but' where they're concerned.

The problems they create wherever they go are well known and documented.

If I were to give my own personal opinion on how to deal with them, I'd probably be banned for life!

For that reason, that's all I've got to say on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Just keep calling the gardai and hassling your local councillors.
    Be sure to remind your councillors that local elections are in June ;)
    Especially now they'll do their best for you.

Eventually they will take action, and then the cleanup begins.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Jim K

Jim K wrote: »
    Driving past the Tinryland club this morning and I see that some caravans have moved into an area just up from the clubhouse.
    Maybe they are interested in football.

I see the caravans have moved from Tinryland GAA. Maybe they didnt like the style of football played there.

i see theres about 6 caravans now on the eastern relief road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

testicle wrote: »

I am anti the section of travellers who continuously cause problems from March though to September in towns & cities throughout ireland.

Unfortunately for the many law abiding travellers, there is a huge minority of travellers who don't give a toss about environment / residents / businesses & who will use treathening behaviour to get their way.

The shoe must be put on the other foot and draconian laws, including immediate seizure of caravans / vehicles must be implemented and utilised to stop this annual scourge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Have they gone yet?
    About 6-7 jeeps & caravans pulled up in the wexford road industrial estate today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

7 caravans pulled up onto the footpath at the eire og club yet again on wednesday evening and as usual Carlow town/county councils are completly silent on the issue and about as usefull as the fleas on the travellers dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Its ridiculous that there has to be a court order granted before they can be moved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

super-rush wrote: »
    Its ridiculous that there has to be a court order granted before they can be moved
    problem its because its a way of life, as much as i cant stop a Muslim praying on my property if they so chose to do it.(that i have against anyone praying, much less Muslims.)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Could you really call parking up your caravan on private property, wrecking the place and telling the guards to f*** off when they tell you to move a way of life? I certainly could not. This is a criminal act, not a way of life. You might say that you couldn't do anything about someone of the Muslim faith from praying on your front lawn because it was their way of life, fair point, But say if i came into your garden, pitched my tent, took a sh1t in your fountain and told you to f*** off when you complained about it. You would be on the phone to the local constabulary and they would have me moved on in ten seconds flat. There is no difference between what i done and what the travellers do on a daily basis. The same crime was committed but one couldn't be punished until the proper procedures were followed. The only reason for this is because one involved travellers and one involved 'settled people'. I dont see this as a way of life i see it as a load of horse manure.

whosbetter banned for a week, for making comments re killing travellers.

everyone else read the forum charter if you have any ideas re insulting travellers, harming them etc.

thanks

Patrick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

patrickc wrote: »

everyone else read the forum charter if you have any ideas re insulting travellers, harming them etc.

thanks

Patrick

rightfully so!

totally agree but i wish there was a way of banning these damned travellers from polluting the area here with rubbish and excrement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭mirror mirror

a good few years ago near where i live , people parked up on side of road.trash,horses and everything else associated with them all over the place. gardai came and they were laughed at. landowner came and he was threatened .so one night big dung spreader came full of dodo and covered the illegal park-up. next morning they were gone.2 jcbs cleaned up area and a few boulders were placed.no more illegal parking anymore.

the travellers have invaded yet again! yesterday evening there were a few caravans but they multiplied overnight! also the local candidates would know nothing of this because they have been avouding rivercourt! maybe it is too far out or they are afraid of the travellers?

as said before the local councils are useless and not worth the allowances and expences they get when this is allowed to happen!

also i dont understand why the guards cant remove them as they are parked on the public roadway and footpaths! do they even do a proper check for tax and insurance and licences for travellers or do they consider it a waste of their time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

also i dont understand why the guards cant remove them as they are parked on the public roadway and footpaths! do they even do a proper check for tax and insurance and licences for travellers or do they consider it a waste of their time?

It comes down to the whole thing of one rule for them, one rule for everyone else.

I was in my parents yesterday and the council were doing a rubbish pick up. From first thing in the morning the whole road had to put up with vans driving up and down the road, rooting through bags outside their house and throwing whatever they didn't like the look of out onto the street, knocking on the doors asking if they had anything they didn't want and pretty much just feel intimidated by their presence while the guards drove up the road once as fast as they could while turning a blind eye.

Sh*t like that is really annoying.

• Advertisement

Ah sure it's part of their unique culture.:rolleyes:

Our country desperately needs to preserve their way of life.

It's so important that these people get the 'ethnic status' that they are brilliantly entitled to.

So what if it costs us extra?

They're worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

there are now 6 caravans and associated vans dogs and kitchen and toilet waste parked up on the footpath just past the Eire og clubhouse and yet again the impotent council are doing very little to move these caravans on from their illegal camping ground.

do the council not care about local residents having to walk along the road instead of using the new footpath? are people's houses not devalued enough without having an illegal and unofficial halting site around the corner?

ps: i am not anti traveller but why did they park up on the footpath when the road is more than wide enough for a row of caravans etc without affecting the traffic flow?

You just have to put up with these people. I know how frustrating it can be dealing with the travelling community.
    There was a case in Co. Mayo where residents were complaining about a family of travellers who planted themselves on the side of a GAA pitch and refused to move. They destroyed the place with rubbish. The locals decided to fight fire with fire and abandoned a truck load of dead animal carcass beside there site.
    They left within two days from the smell. It was on the news.

this crowd are gathering up a lot of copper wire and cable behind one of their caravans including a hot water cylinder and a lot of pipes that looks straight out of a house! they will like the ones that went before them leave their rubbish and dirt behind them and leave another patch of soil poisoned forever yet the green party are not interested in stopping them lighting their bonfires and polluting the athmosphere?

this crowd are gathering up a lot of copper wire and cable behind one of their caravans including a hot water cylinder and a lot of pipes that looks straight out of a house! they will like the ones that went before them leave their rubbish and dirt behind them and leave another patch of soil poisoned forever yet the green party are not interested in stopping them lighting their bonfires and polluting the athmosphere?

That's an intresting point!:D

another lot of caravans and cars vans dogs etc has moved onto the footpath down by the eire og club! no bonus for guessing what they are here for(fire gutted buildings are usually an easy source of copper)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

I see that someone decided to not so politely ask the residence of the caravan on the new road to move on....

They just smashed all their windows in.... I wonder who would have been up to that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

another lot of caravans and cars vans dogs etc has moved onto the footpath down by the eire og club! no bonus for guessing what they are here for(fire gutted buildings are usually an easy source of copper)

I saw between 4 and 6 caravans down there maybe a month ago. I don't know if its the same crowd still there or a new crowd

ShayK1 wrote: »
    I saw between 4 and 6 caravans down there maybe a month ago. I don't know if its the same crowd still there or a new crowd
    they are new they arrived this afternoon to use carlow as a toilet.
    Obviously the council will do nothing until someone with money complains about these travellers as the council do not want to waste money on moving the travellers on.

Update - 15 caravans last count and many vans already turning up today with loads of wire from houses like cooker wire etc this is being brought into the field to be burnt when they feel they have scavanged enough! they are not finding all this copper stuff on the side of the road! also noticed a few of the vans have no tax or insurance details displayed but the guards cant be bothered as it is not serious crime that might get them a promotion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 babybel21

i dont mean to be mean but i'd rather travellers everywhere than scumbags. Sick of goin everywhere and seein scumbags!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

babybel21 wrote: »
    i dont mean to be mean but i'd rather travellers everywhere than scumbags. Sick of goin everywhere and seein scumbags!

Unfortunately in a lot of cases they are the same things.

Advertisement