Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers back on inner relief road

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 babybel21

Unfortunately in a lot of cases they are the same things.

im sorry but no der not. scumbags pretend to be travellers to give dem a bad name. but as bad as travellers are they would never harm anyone for fun! lets be fair guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

please refer to the forum charter when discussing travellers

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055183314

Note 2:- We understand that discussion of travellers can be a very touchy subject, which is why we ask for calm and common sense when posting. Terms such as pikeys, knackers, knick-knacks and the likes are deemed offensive and the use of such terms derail a thread into a bitch fest between anti-travellers and those defending them. The same is said to those who suggest that travellers should be all killed etc. To avoid this, we ask that when discussing them please just refer to them as "travellers" or "members of the travelling community". Discussion is not banned, but the use of stupid comments is banned. Thanks for your understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Some time ago the county council put barriers on the carpark in Tullow (opposite the council offices/library) with an exit charge of 2 euros.

I'm sure the council would love to recover the cost of installing these barriers but nobody uses the carpark because of the charge.

They appear to have come up with a novel way of fundraising.

Earlier this week I noticed a group of travellers had taken up residence in the carpark. A total of maybe 6 or 8 vehicles so if ever they decide to move on the council could look forward to raising about 12-16 euros.
    This is not a huge amount of revenue but it's better than nothing.

However there is some good news, as I passed by this morning I noticed that the number of vehicles had substantialy increased to maybe 20/25 so the council can now raise around 50 euros..... not bad eh !

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

that carpark is a bit of a joke alrite. it used to be fairly full all the time. Some bright spark sitting at his desk across the road gets thinkin there's a few quid to be made here and sticks up a barrier. Now no one uses it. Are Tullow people to mean to pay €2 for parking? I know I am anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

seen that coming. ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

babybel21 wrote: »
    im sorry but no der not. scumbags pretend to be travellers to give dem a bad name. but as bad as travellers are they would never harm anyone for fun! lets be fair guys!

Seriously?

Maybe you should have been there to tell that to my girlfriend the night I ended up in a fight with one of them as we were walking home minding our own business.

Or maybe you could come up and explain that to my uncle whose son was stabbed by one because they were refused entry to a party.

Or tell it to my neighbour who had all his work tools robbed from his van by them.

Nobody would pretend to be a traveller, they have the reputation they have because of their actions.And while it's not all of them unfortunately the bad far outweigh the good ensuring that the image most people have of travellers is a negative one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭The Gish

Aw come on folks. These charges are required to pay for the traffic wardens that dont do their job, the litter wardens that are afraid to bring people to court for littering, the road workers that cant fill a hole properly, and oh yeah dont forget the junkets to far away places for the senior council employees and the elected representatives.
    Thats my rant for Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

What are taxes for then??? I'm sorry, I forgot they are for minister pensions, expenses, their big cars, blah blah blah.

(Thought I'd add to the rant:))

Bad news lads, I've just driven past the carpark and it would seem that our traveller friends have decided to move on.

Hold on, hold on that's not the bad news.

The bad news is........... somebody has removed the barrier from the exit so now the council will not get their 40/50 euros in parking fees..

That's it, no more road repairs this year.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

The annual graveyard mass is in Tullow tonight. It always attracts alot of the travelling community. Apparently alot of their deceased are buried in Tullow.

• Advertisement

Spoke too soon.... They're back.... about 14 or 15 vehicles...

I thought that they may have been off doing a tarmac job or something but I see on another thread on this forum that there is a mass in Tullow that brings the Travellers to town..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

ShayK1 wrote: »
    The annual graveyard mass is in Tullow tonight. It always attracts alot of the travelling community. Apparently alot of their deceased are buried in Tullow.

Their headstones are a sight to behold, I'm told.:rolleyes:

since this has merged into traveller talk also, going to move it with the other traveller thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

why dont these travellers camp outside the graveyard in tullow then instead of crapping all over carlow? there should rea;;y be a law preventing more than two caravans on any street or road as it would constitute an illegal gathering.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    why dont these travellers camp outside the graveyard in tullow then instead of crapping all over carlow? there should rea;;y be a law preventing more than two caravans on any street or road as it would constitute an illegal gathering.

Sorry Fog, It seems that these types can get away with what they like.
    If mere mortals like us object, 'Pavee Point' & suchlike come down from Dublin shouting about 'their rights' , but yet never seem to provide some kind of an answer/compromise to the situation.

That's why the vast majority of right thinking people regard them as total scum!

And Y'know what? Who's to blame for this? Anyone ?

They've gone beyond any kind of recognition even in their own country & they only have their own selves to blame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Lads, can ye ease up a little bit with the tone of your posts. I understand that you are mad but comments like this are pushing it a bit.
    That's why the vast majority of right thinking people regard them as total scum!

Thanks.

Sorry, I seem like a bit of an extremist on this.
    But I'm old enough to remember when they were regarded as 'alright'

I, personally have had plenty of dealings with them in years gone by.

All good.

It's just that in the last few years or so, they decided to challenge the system. i.e. us.

They want to do what they like & then expect the rest of us to pick up the tab.

They've become drunk on tax-free earnings, inbreeding & benefits, paid for by you & me.

In return, what do we get?

Them, blathering about their rights & wanting us to shell out even more dosh to preserve their traditions as an 'ethnic minority'.

C'mon, lets get real about the situation.

Also. What are their traditions now anyway?

Sellin carpets?
    Street brawling?
    Robbing/stealing?
    Antisocial behaeviour?

They need the Mother & Father of all public relations agencies to bring them back into any kind of acceptance with the public at large.

Sadly, they don't seem intrested in that.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 babybel21

Seriously?

Maybe you should have been there to tell that to my girlfriend the night I ended up in a fight with one of them as we were walking home minding our own business.

Or maybe you could come up and explain that to my uncle whose son was stabbed by one because they were refused entry to a party.

Or tell it to my neighbour who had all his work tools robbed from his van by them.

Nobody would pretend to be a traveller, they have the reputation they have because of their actions.And while it's not all of them unfortunately the bad far outweigh the good ensuring that the image most people have of travellers is a negative one.

sorry but where exactly do you live??

i live in just outside carlow town and trust me der are many livin around here in caravans once nobody goes near them dey dont go near you!

last year a total and utter scumbag came at me with a knife ready to kill me or rape me i dunno what i was scared out of my mind dis was in the town jus beside st killians crescent and 4 travellers walked past and saw me crying with a knife to my throat and grabbed de guy off me and bet him up and den brought me home and made sure i was ok even offered me money thinkin stuff was stolen off me (obviously i refused) so i apologise that my dealings with them are different to others!

and of course i no there are bad ones out there and de fact that they have they're own laws in the eyes of the irish government and that they get more money than anyone else is very unfair but thats like sayin that all carlovians are scum when infact the majority of them are not.

I hate this topic but im a very arguementative person bout things that im strong about! hope nobody hates me for it!

my gripe has nothing to do with their benefits or really what ethnicity they claim to have but more about the fact they can break the laws of the land without anyone taking any interest at all!

where are the guards when 15-20 caravans pull into a town? years ago carlow guards would have known these travellers were nearing town and would have stayed with them to ensure they did not break the law by trespassing or camping illegally, but now they can stop and set up their camp wherever they want knowing the guards wont go near they because it is too time consuming and the councils wont go to court to get them moved on aas they do not want to spend the money.

my main gripe is with the institutions of the state ignoring the rights of the majority of hard working people in favour of doing nothing and letting the travellers break as many laws as they want and tresspass anywhere not to mention the damage to the environment from their fires.

there are plenty of halting sites so travellers camping illegally should be subject to having their vans caravans etc impounded immediately. saying that you do not get on with another family on a halting site is not a good enough reason to break the laws of the land!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

sorry but where exactly do you live??

i live in just outside carlow town and trust me der are many livin around here in caravans once nobody goes near them dey dont go near you!

last year a total and utter scumbag came at me with a knife ready to kill me or rape me i dunno what i was scared out of my mind dis was in the town jus beside st killians crescent and 4 travellers walked past and saw me crying with a knife to my throat and grabbed de guy off me and bet him up and den brought me home and made sure i was ok even offered me money thinkin stuff was stolen off me (obviously i refused) so i apologise that my dealings with them are different to others!

and of course i no there are bad ones out there and de fact that they have they're own laws in the eyes of the irish government and that they get more money than anyone else is very unfair but thats like sayin that all carlovians are scum when infact the majority of them are not.

I hate this topic but im a very arguementative person bout things that im strong about! hope nobody hates me for it!

Well with your story you won't appreciate the countless times I've had death threats made against me by members of the travelling community.
    I've had a few made by general scum as well but nothing close to that of the former.

• Advertisement

babybel21, thanks for your contributions , is there anyway you can use less text speak please, it makes it hard to read the posts.

cheers

Don't worry about it.
    It's a subject that can instantly turn otherwise calm,sane,tolerant & rational people into foaming lunatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Why is this thread called Council Fundraising? Has something gone wrong.

2 threads were merged. One was about some members of the travelling community parked up in a carpark in Tullow. The car park has a €2 exit fee.

theres a caravan parked on the bend on the little road from the staplestown road to askea church, looks more like english tourists though, still a really dangerous place to park it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

2 threads were merged. One was about some members of the travelling community parked up in a carpark in Tullow. The car park has a €2 exit fee.

I was parked outside the library when these boys were pulling out at about 11 am on Sat. They were over messing with the barrier mocking and saying "I'll pull this barrier off for ya Johnny." They then proceeded to drive out the entrance which is completely unprotected. He wen't off in his 09 C Class Merc. Whats the deal with that car park ? is it operational?

tbh kwalshe, I've never used it. I didn't know there was an exit fee until I read it here.

sorry to dig up an old thread but...

the travellers are back on the inner relief road at rivercourt and the county councils answer was to deposit all the big bags of sand they got(too late) for gritting the roads along the road from the eire og club down to rivercourt.

as i walked past half an hour ago the travellers were loading one of the bags of sand into a trailer probably to sell it or use it in fixing the tiles on somebodys roof?

my thoughts now are what a ridiculous waste of time and money arranging to deposit those bags of sand there when there is easily enough room to park even the largest caravan between the bags! and even more money will be wasted on the clean up when the travellers move on again!

i thought the council plan was to narrow the road by putting in some kind of barrier which would make it illegal to park there, but this is obviously never going to happen while the council is sitting in its present form as there is not the will to do things right and in the interests of the people of carlow!

the three caravans on the 19th have now become 12 caravans a week later and still the council are doing nothing as these travellers use the footpath to park their vans meaning the people living in the area have to walk out onto the road to go anywhere!

also there is now a huge amount of household rubbish accumilating along this stretch of road but the litter warden is not interested?

people are also being subjected to verbal abuse and are being called garda rats and garda snitch etc when walking past these illegally parked caravans because it seems the guards paid a visit a few nights ago and must have upset a few of these <snip> travellers.

does anyone know is there anything that can be done to force these people to obey the law and remove their caravans and vehicles?

sadly the council can do absolutely nothing about these travellers because they are not blocking the roadway but said i should contact the guards about the harrassment and verbal abuse and the parking of vans on the footpath and contact the fire brigade if they light more fires and the council would send the litter warden out to look at the litter problem:rolleyes:

so much for all the promises made about doing something to stop this illegal parking:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭mirror mirror

can anyone remember back to the time that some were parked /camping at closh cross outside of ballon .after all the talking and getting nowhere .,a couple of tractors with dung spreaders done a drive by and covered every van ,caravan, dog ,horse with doo doo. they left fairly soon after and didnt come back.:pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement