Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl "Fall out of bed" protection sale starts 16th March.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

somethin tells me not to trust a 60euro Flip-up helmet
    09_41790a_b.jpg
    i think i'll stick to my black jack helmet thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 smile!

good man! it'll save me a packet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

pajodublin wrote: »
    somethin tells me not to trust a 60euro Flip-up helmet
    something tells me not to trust any 60 euro lid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

man im going to camp outside and buy all of that hehe:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Uh oh, cue the annual debate about helmut safety and price! :)

Think I'll pick up the jump starter and tank bag. I lost my old tank bag, and it was a cool one too. :(

• Advertisement

i was going to get a helmet in there but instead i went into town and forked out 90 quid of a local guy even do im sure i could of got it elsewhere cheaper but im going to get the bag in lidl for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

faceman wrote: »

Think I'll pick up the jump starter and tank bag. I lost my old tank bag, and it was a cool one too. :(
    That's a battery charger not "jump leads". Look at the tiny cables to the clamps.....they'd catch fire if you tried to jump start a lawnmower with them. Somebody in Lidl messed up (I have that battery charger though and it is ideal for gently charging bike batteries which are obviously much smaller than car ones).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

something tells me not to trust any 60 euro lid.

irrelevant. If it's passed the appropriate safety tests, that's all that matters. Helmets sold here have to have ECE std - the LIDL ones have those PLUS the TuV, so you could argue they are actually.........better.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

faceman wrote: »

The Helmut I know is the least safe person I've met.

Anyway this thread is about motorbike safety gear, not some German bloke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

I'm new to the whole biking malarkey and I was wonderin if the pants and boots there would be decent quality or just some cheap ass tat? I suppose somethin is better than nothin when ya have a wee spill but would it protect you as much as more expensive stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

scudster wrote: »
    I'm new to the whole biking malarkey and I was wonderin if the pants and boots there would be decent quality or just some cheap ass tat? I suppose somethin is better than nothin when ya have a wee spill but would it protect you as much as more expensive stuff.

I don't think alot of any boots I got there, but their jackets and trousers were decent quality, but I perfer my leathers;)

im confused how could the gear be bad if its been sold in ireland??surely theres standards?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

He he I like the way that in typical random Lidl fashion you can also pick up an indoor hydrangea, or perhaps a body car gift set to complement your biking gear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Was in my local lidl and they had those walkie talkie things so you could talk to passenger, anybody try them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

im confused how could the gear be bad if its been sold in ireland??surely theres standards?

There is standards. The Lidl gear meets and in many cases surpasses the minimum requirements.

The problem is that the gear is Lidl brand so doesn't match well with your Ducati or Suzuki Kwotsit.

For beginners, people on a budget and people that don't care how they "look" on the bike there is no issues with the gear.

I have been to many bike meetups and the amount of lidl gear going around from tankbags to rainsuits is always more than other brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

nereid wrote: »
    There is standards. The Lidl gear meets and in many cases surpasses the minimum requirements.

The problem is that the gear is Lidl brand so doesn't match well with your Ducati or Suzuki Kwotsit.

For beginners, people on a budget and people that don't care how they "look" on the bike there is no issues with the gear.

I have been to many bike meetups and the amount of lidl gear going around from tankbags to rainsuits is always more than other brands.

Tankbags and rainsuits are one thing but helmets are an entirely different thing.
    I personally believe that most of the brandname helmets are horribly overpriced and there is some great helmets to be had for cheap but that doesn't mean I would trust something as important as my melon in a helmet I bought from Lidls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Tankbags and rainsuits are one thing but helmets are an entirely different thing.
    I personally believe that most of the brandname helmets are horribly overpriced and there is some great helmets to be had for cheap but that doesn't mean I would trust something as important as my melon in a helmet I bought from Lidls.

I agree with you - there are standards and then there are standarts.

Helmets have to meet a cetain minimum standard. My own helmet has been tested to far in excess of that requirement. It's one of the proper arai ones - cost a freaking fortune and both legs and an arm to boot.. but some racer hit some sort of pole head first near enough to 200mph and survived it -wearing the same brand and model. That there is a helmet I trust to protect.

Sure it's big money - but you can't buy no replacement head if you damage it.

jim o doom wrote: »
    My own helmet has been tested to far in excess of that requirement. It's one of the proper arai ones - cost a freaking fortune and both legs and an arm to boot

shame that, unless it is a GP5 it is only a 3*

There are £50 helmets that are better rated, and a £60 5*.

For the record, I have a 3* €500 XR1000, and have no intention of buying a lidl one, but I don't like the perception that gets bandied about "I wouldn't trust a lidl helmet".

I think I say this every year, but no matter what, the most important thing about a helmet is that it fits correctly. If that happens to be a €50 lidl one so be it, because in the event of an accident, a poorly fitting €800 arai is going to do much much more damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

nereid wrote: »
    shame that, unless it is a GP5 it is only a
    For the record, I have a 3* €500 XR1000, and have no intention of buying a lidl one, but I don't like the perception that gets bandied about "I wouldn't trust a lidl helmet".

I think I say this every year, but no matter what, the most important thing about a helmet is that it fits correctly. If that happens to be a €50 lidl one so be it, because in the event of an accident, a poorly fitting €800 arai is going to do much much more damage.

It's an RX7 GP only a month old- top of the range. Plus it fits perfectly - I had to purchase slightly thicker inside pads for the skullcap and cheeks as the large size helmet is too small - but the xl one with new pads is perfect. I'm on the road a good while -
    I know that a good fit is as important as a good hlemet & I still wouldn't trust some cheap a$$ lidl brand! ;)

Same old debate this year I see.

I'll sit this one out apart from making some comments and leaving it at that....open your Arai/Shoei/Nolan/Schuberth then open a Lidl lid......they are ALL made of the stuff you drink hot coffee out of...moulded polystyrene.

So long as the lid is made in one piece and passes the ECE test (which the Lidl ones are and do) the survivability is about the same.

For information lads.....the US DoT test is less realistic than the ECE test because the US test focuses of 'pinpont' impacts whereas the ECE test focuses on blunt force impacts (much much more common when your head hits the tarmac or another vehicle). Now consider that many of your expensive 'brand name' helmets sold in the US are designed specifically to pass the less realistic test (and conseqeuntly many fail to pass the more realistic ECE test) do you really think these manufacturers care about sales or safety? Given they happily make helmets for the US market which are less safe than their European versions, does that not show you they will readily make a helmet that 'just about' passes the ECE test as anyone else, including Lidl? Be a bit more sceptical fellas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

One thing that seems to not have been mentioned is the Snell test, the ECE is a minimum standard required to be sold, the Snell foundation test is stricter. The Lidl lids don't have it. I personally wouldn't touch a helmet that didn't pass not only ECE but also Snell regardless of price.

The Snell foundation have been critical of major manufacturers for making helmets that can pass the USDoT test but don't bother making them good enough to pass Snell.....these are the same manufacturers people are putting their store in!

the Snell foundation test is stricter. The Lidl lids don't have it. I personally wouldn't touch a helmet that didn't pass not only ECE but also Snell regardless of price.
    The snell test is only applied in america.

As has already been stated, it uses a point test, which means that the US version of the for example Arai RX7, has a harder surface skin to its rest of world variant.
    I really don't want to talk much about this but this means that in the event of an impact your head will bounce rather than have the impact absorbed (somewhat) by the impact.

The EU tests cover a wider variety of bounce tests onto various solid surfaces and the BS "gold square" sticker verifies that the Racing Association over there have independently performed these tests and verified the results.

The Test that I linked to is the UK government "independent" (read independent of the EU) testing of helmets sold in the UK market and tests according to a much wider variety of real world test conditions.

Having said all that, I don't know what the b-square helmets are rebranded versions of so this is all moot anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

Was in my local lidl and they had those walkie talkie things so you could talk to passenger, anybody try them?

The ear peaces are uncomfortable, you can really only hear each other when stationary, once moving you got the noise from ur lid and the other persons.

Rain suits are excellent but sized on the small side, gloves are fine for finer weather, tank bags are excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Putting the "safety" issue aside for a moment I would still prefer purchasing a more expensive helmet due to comfort reasons.

The cheapo €80 helmet thrown in with my first bike felt as comfortable as a tin of Quality Street when compared with my brothers Arai.

That was the primary reason I quickly forked out for an expensive Arai. Also came down to the British Motorcycle Sport ACU approved standard, the quietness, as well as the better features-better visor/better ventilation/chin deflector/breath guard/D-ring etc.

While I agree the big name lids are overpriced, its an expense I'm willing to pay in order to have a quality product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

If those helmets were sold for 150 would they be safer?

How Lidi/Aldi works.
    • Manufacture sells a product at a premium.
    • Manufacture builds too much of the product.
    • Manufacture wants to get rid of the extra product but doesn't want to damage its brand by slashing the retail price.
    • Along come lidl/aldi and offer to buy the excess product and rebrand it under their low cost brand for a set price.
    • Lidl/Aldi sell product in bulk in their outlets and profit.

Helmet manufactures build their helmets to pass the tests. Look at the sharp tests. It is a new test, I would put money on every helmet that scored badly on it improving that score the next time they are tested.
    Will this be because the manufacture improved the helmet or because the manufacture figure out the test and build a helmet to score high on it?

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    If those helmets were sold for 150 would they be safer?

How Lidi/Aldi works.
    • Manufacture sells a product at a premium.
    • Manufacture builds too much of the product.
    • Manufacture wants to get rid of the extra product but doesn't want to damage its brand by slashing the retail price.
    • Along come lidl/aldi and offer to buy the excess product and rebrand it under their low cost brand for a set price.
    • Lidl/Aldi sell product in bulk in their outlets and profit.

Helmet manufactures build their helmets to pass the tests. Look at the sharp tests. It is a new test, I would put money on every helmet that scored badly on it improving that score the next time they are tested.
    Will this be because the manufacture improved the helmet or because the manufacture figure out the test and build a helmet to score high on it?
    You also have to take note how long these helmets have been sitting about even before these supermarkets approached the manufacturers,

Helmets like safety boots has a shelf life. Any lid older than 5 years should be fec*ked out. You can tell most of the branded ones by the style and colours whether they are fresh, I have seen dated Arai lids sold off cheap at events, these could be sub standard because of the breakdown of composite materials over time and also the conditions where they are stored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

One of my mate's girlfriend's bought a lid from lidl last year for pillion riding.

It was great for the first while, then it got very loose, then it started to get noisy and then it started to leak, all within 6 months of buying it, she's had to replace it, it was so bad. Now has a shoei multitech and is happy out.

colm_c wrote: »
    One of my mate's girlfriend's bought a lid from lidl last year for pillion riding.

It was great for the first while, then it got very loose, then it started to get noisy and then it started to leak, all within 6 months of buying it, she's had to replace it, it was so bad. Now has a shoei multitech and is happy out.
    Thats exactly what happens, inferior foam padding is used, it shrinks due to rapid breakdown of composite materials, These lids may withstand crack tests and recieve various kite stickers but that's feck all good to you if the lid is hanging off your head in six months time. Many of the higher end lids such as Arai will allow you to replace the foam padding if it becomes too loose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I have seen Lidl drills, lidl fishing rods and reels, lidl microwaves, lidl socket sets, lidl heaters, watches, mp3 players, dvd players, tvs, lidl fecken everything. All do the job, but no where near the quality of a proper version. But they're cheap! If i was strapped for cash I'd get a lidl helmet. Also lidl shoes, jeans, all of the above. If you buy the helmet, there's no reason not to get kitted out in the all the clothes they sell in there. They're way cheaper than in other shops. But somehow i doubt there'll be queue's to buy them

Advertisement