Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt Collection Agency:Tracking former Tennant

Options
  • 10-03-2009 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong forum:

I have recieved a letter addressed to "the occupier" (ie me of a rented appartment) looking for information:
    • my name and number and address i moved into the flat
    • forwarding info regarding a previous tennant
    • the same for my landlord if i am a tenant.

Am i under any obligation to forward this information to them? Obviously I would rather my door didnt get kicked in by any bounty hunters, but I'm not sure I want my details on their database either!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

"the same for my landlord if I am a tenant?

You mean, they don't know you or the landlord? Sounds to me like they're just fishing for business from your landlord. Throw it in the bin.
    Also, it's not addressed to you specifically so you can't be obliged to send them information about yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've had the same, ignore it.
    And do not give them any names or contact details at all. They are a private company, don't do their work for them. Straight in the bin.

Even if you have the past tenants forwarding address, I wouldn't give it to them.

Relax, nobody is going to kick in your door *. Tbh, I don't even answer my door most days unless I know it's the postman. Anyone calling around calls the mobile, maybe you should do the same.

*Unless it's the Viper's collection agency after you :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I received one of these letters a few weeks ago for a previous tenant saying a debt collection officer would be making a personal visit in the next 7 days.

I rang the number on the letter and told them this person doesn't live here anymore and they said fair enough we'll use other methods to locate her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

I've forwarded it to the landlord and he said he would deal with it, he is usually pretty decent in fairness, so hopefully that's the end of it!

Looking the company up on the net, they appear to collect unpaid parking tickets etc, so there mightn't be any people trying to torch my house for a while yet!

Advertisement