Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help choosing broadband!

Options
  • 10-03-2009 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I have been recently looking at the different options open to me to get broadband at home, in Cork.

I have a disconnected phone line in the house, but unless I can get a better deal with it connected I would prefer to leave it disconnected.

I have narrowed down my options to the following, but would like some advice choosing the package, based on yer knowledge and experience.

Nova Networks - HomeMAX 2M
    Download: 2MB
    Upload: 1MB
    Data: 30GB
    Monthly Cost: €35.99
    Startup Cost: €99.00
    Router: €50.00
    Annual Cost: €472.91 (first 3 months free)

BT - Option 2
    Download: 6MB
    Monthly Cost: €46.19
    Startup Cost: €0.00
    Router: €0.00
    Annual Cost: €554.28

Nova Networks - HomeMAX 3M
    Download: 3MB
    Data: 40GB
    Monthly Cost: €45.99
    Annual Cost: €562.91 (first 3 months free)

Digiweb - Metro Value
    Download: 5MB
    Upload: 512KB
    Data: 20GB
    Monthly Cost: €34.95
    Annual Cost: €568.40

Eircom - Home Plus
    Upload: 384KB
    Monthly Cost: €50.11
    Annual Cost: €601.32

While as you can see, Nova is the cheapest, but this will only be in year 1, as they are giving an offer of first 3 months free. My other concern is that 2MB download might not be fast enough. I require a router to provide wireless at home, so this is included in the cost where required.

So could anyone help me out, as I am stuck with which to go with...

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Magnet Networks - Force 10
    Download: 10Mb
    Upload: 512kb
    Data: Unlimited
    Monthly Cost: €55.45
    Startup Cost: €0
    Router: €0
    Annual Cost: €660 (Contention free, Free PCTV, €30 free calls etc.)

Magnet Networks - Force Max
    Download: 24Mb
    Upload: 512kb
    Data: Unlimited
    Monthly Cost: €65.45
    Startup Cost: €0
    Router: €0
    Annual Cost: €785.40(Contention free, Free PCTV, €30 free calls etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Don't let price be the deciding factor. Some wireless services can be pretty dire, see the Ice Broadband thread, and some can be every bit as good as wired, Metro for example. Some DSL providers are pretty dire too, either with the quality of service, or customer care. BT being the absolute worst offender in terms of customer service, billing, and general uselessness.

I've never heard of Nova Networks, so no idea if they're one of the good ones or not. You need to hear from people (more than 1) who are using it for a while, to be sure if it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

Amateur wrote: »
    I have been recently looking at the different options open to me to get broadband at home, in Cork.

I have a disconnected phone line in the house, but unless I can get a better deal with it connected I would prefer to leave it disconnected.

I have narrowed down my options to the following, but would like some advice choosing the package, based on yer knowledge and experience.

Nova Networks - HomeMAX 2M
    Download: 2MB
    Monthly Cost: €35.99
    Annual Cost: €472.91 (first 3 months free)

BT - Option 2
    Download: 6MB
    Monthly Cost: €46.19
    Annual Cost: €554.28

Nova Networks - HomeMAX 3M
    Data: 40GB
    Monthly Cost: €45.99
    Annual Cost: €562.91 (first 3 months free)

Digiweb - Metro Value
    Download: 5MB
    Upload: 512KB
    Data: 20GB
    Monthly Cost: €34.95
    Annual Cost: €568.40

Eircom - Home Plus
    Upload: 384KB
    Monthly Cost: €50.11
    Annual Cost: €601.32

While as you can see, Nova is the cheapest, but this will only be in year 1, as they are giving an offer of first 3 months free. My other concern is that 2MB download might not be fast enough. I require a router to provide wireless at home, so this is included in the cost where required.

So could anyone help me out, as I am stuck with which to go with...

BT is your best option. I have contacted BT for information on their broadband packages for a friend of mine. They do provide good service. She has internet and telephone line, hers was disconnected previous but they were able to set up a connection for her. She calls the UK regularly and can now call UK landlines for free at anytime of the day. They have phone bundle packages to suit your needs.

Eircom caps broadband and also if you decide to download music or any media from p2p or illegal websites they now have a 3 strikes and your out policy if you do. So just want to let you know about that.

merlie wrote: »
    Eircom caps broadband

eircom have never enforced the cap, nor applied any restrictions to those who go over it, however BT certainly do. BT also have the worst customer service you could ever have the misfortune of dealing with. If everything goes fine, you're laughing, but if there's any problems at all, prepare for the long fight. From bitter personal experience, I would not recommend them to anyone.

jor el wrote: »
    eircom have never enforced the cap, nor applied any restrictions to those who go over it, however BT certainly do. BT also have the worst customer service you could ever have the misfortune of dealing with. If everything goes fine, you're laughing, but if there's any problems at all, prepare for the long fight. From bitter personal experience, I would not recommend them to anyone.

Stinging.....I must remember not to annoy you Jor el.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Rorser wrote: »

This isn't a sales channel:)
    It's a place for people to discuss broadband options and their experiences with the same. Most company reps are eager to tell you(sell) their services so sometimes the bubble needs to be burst.

A bit like the LTE fantasy marketing or the misleading iHSPA claims, it always needs a good dose of reality injected into the hype so people know what they will really be getting.

I'm not accusing fixed bb providers of making such wild and unsubstantiated claims but just pointing out the realities:)

It took 8 months, 1 regulator, two data protection offices in two countries, contact with 3 individual companies, and a 28 page document to the CEO of BT Ireland to get them to stop hounding me for a 49 euro bill, when they actually owed me 28 euro. Incompetence doesn't even come close to what they are, and all their agents too.

bealtine wrote: »
    This isn't a sales channel:)
    It's a place for people to discuss broadband options and their experiences with the same. Most company reps are eager to tell you(sell) their services so sometimes the bubble needs to be burst.

A bit like the LTE fantasy marketing or the misleading iHSPA claims, it always needs a good dose of reality injected into the hype so people know what they will really be getting.

I'm not accusing fixed bb providers of making such wild and unsubstantiated claims but just pointing out the realities:)

Well I wasn't being all that serious.....not as serious as I am about our LOW LOW prices:D.

In all honesty I do know what your saying. Amateur, have you come around to a decision?

Well I wasn't being all that serious.....not as serious as I am about our LOW LOW prices:D.

I wouldn't call your prices "low low", exorbitant would be my reaction, in compaison to international norms e.g. France. However they are merely normal in the Irish ripoff market...

bealtine wrote: »
    I wouldn't call your prices "low low", exorbitant would be my reaction, in compaison to international norms e.g. France. However they are merely normal in the Irish ripoff market...

Ehhh.....should i apologise? You are aware i was having a little joke?

Exorbinant is a bit ott by the way.

• Advertisement

Let's not turn this into a pricing debate, nor compare one particular Irish ISP to international prices. Magnet's prices are fairly competitive in the Irish market. Ireland, in general, is not very competitive on the European stage.

Let's not turn this into a pricing debate, nor compare one particular Irish ISP to international prices. Magnet's prices are fairly competitive in the Irish market. Ireland, in general, is not very competitive on the European stage.

Agreed.

Of course not, no wars, I'm just pointing out the obvious.
    And yes Magnet in general do a fine job...
    So lets not misunderstand:)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Amateur

Thanks for everyone's response (even if it did go off the topic a bit ;))

I agree regarding BT, after ringing them I wasn't very happy with their customer service - very dismissive.

So, its down to DigiWeb and Nova. Any opinions on this? Looking at it from a technical point of view, which is the best deal?

Anyone have anything to add to this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I take it you are in the East Cork Area? Have seen loads of Nova guys around the place but can't comment on their service as I don't know anyone with it, DigiWeb have a good rep but a nasty rolling CAP (unsure about Nova in this respect) suppose it all depands what you want ot use the connection for (Gaming, General Browsing, Remote working etc)

MC

Amateur wrote: »
    Anyone have anything to add to this please?

Your choices are limited to WLR (eircom re-sellers), that would be the vast majority of broadband suppliers, especially outside major urban centres and fixed wireless.

I take it you are in the East Cork Area? Have seen loads of Nova guys around the place but can't comment on their service as I don't know anyone with it, DigiWeb have a good rep but a nasty rolling CAP (unsure about Nova in this respect) suppose it all depands what you want ot use the connection for (Gaming, General Browsing, Remote working etc)

MC

I will need it General Browsing and Remote working.

Anyone have experience of Nova?

Advertisement