Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Line checked Failed

Options
  • 10-03-2009 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am getting really desperate about a new line I got from Eircom on Tusday last week (3/3/09)

I have done loads of line checks since yesterday and spend ages on the phone to Eircom but I am in the dark as to exactly why I my line is failing the test. Eircom are so uselsess in fairness.

I know I don't have a carrier line/splitter cause I easily get 50K on dialup (lowest being 49K), and I also know I am not too far from the exchange as my neighbors has eircom.

So does anyone know the following:

1. How long it takes before I know for fact that I cannot get broadband, due to the newness of my line via the online test.
    2. When an agent says you will never get broadband, is he/she doing a real time test there and then?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

never2fast wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I am getting really desperate about a new line I got from Eircom on Tusday last week (3/3/09)

I have done loads of line checks since yesterday and spend ages on the phone to Eircom but I am in the dark as to exactly why I my line is failing the test. Eircom are so uselsess in fairness.

I know I don't have a carrier line/splitter cause I easily get 50K on dialup (lowest being 49K), and I also know I am not too far from the exchange as my neighbors has eircom.

1. How long it takes before I know for fact that I cannot get broadband, due to the newness of my line via the online test.
    2. When an agent says you will never get broadband, is he/she doing a real time test there and then?

Thanks.

Eircom automatically runs it's ADSL capability check once every 3 to 4 weeks last I recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mynameis..

1) reset box. then before using wireless try plugging in the broadband ethernet chord to your computer and getting a connection, if this works, then try without and re run check

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭never2fast

mynameis.. wrote: »
    1) reset box. then before using wireless try plugging in the broadband ethernet chord to your computer and getting a connection, if this works, then try without and re run check

I haven't got my BB in yet, I cannot use a ADSL modem.
    This is at the get BB in stage. Thanks anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It'll be a lot longer than 1 week to get a line tested, in general. The people you spoke to on the phone may or may not know how it works, and may even be under the impression that when they check your line that it's actually running a test. It's not, it's just checking the database.
    I have done loads of line checks since yesterday

That won't help, as the result will be the same until they actually test the line, and this is something that's virtually impossible to get them to do outside their own schedule.

jor el wrote: »
    It'll be a lot longer than 1 week to get a line tested, in general. The people you spoke to on the phone may or may not know how it works, and may even be under the impression that when they check your line that it's actually running a test. It's not, it's just checking the database.

That won't help, as the result will be the same until they actually test the line, and this is something that's virtually impossible to get them to do outside their own schedule.

Thanks for that, that's exactly what I found out this morning when I rang them again and this time the lady told me they use the website too! and she thought that was real time! wtf?!

So anyways, I guess I am gonna have to sit this one out, damn I hate not knowing...

out of curiousity i tried a few numbers right before me and right after me, and al of them bar my supports BB, and anyone know the difference between this:

Unable to determine if line is suitable (some other number)
    and
    Line not suitable for broadband (me)

• Advertisement

Unable to determine often means the line is new, and they haven't run a test yet, or that the test wasn't conclusive. Fail either means it's failed an actual test, or that the line isn't in the database.

My new line said fail, even after I got Smart installed. Other new lines have shown the "unable to determine" result.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You have only had the line a week, so WAIT !!!

This is Ireland , 4 weeks waiting for a test is nothing .

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You have only had the line a week, so WAIT !!!

This is Ireland , 4 weeks waiting for a test is nothing .

Ok Guess waiting is the best bit of advice here, thanks a mil guys, I wonder if there is anyone out there in the same boat as me?

Unable to determine often means the line is new, and they haven't run a test yet, or that the test wasn't conclusive. Fail either means it's failed an actual test, or that the line isn't in the database.

My new line said fail, even after I got Smart installed. Other new lines have shown the "unable to determine" result.

How did you get smart when it says failed? smart's website show my line as not available.

How did you get smart when it says failed? smart's website show my line as not available.

Smart do their own test, and will accept your order if you're on an enabled exchange, but subject to it passing their test. They don't care what eircom's test says.

• Advertisement

Smart do their own test, and will accept your order if you're on an enabled exchange, but subject to it passing their test. They don't care what eircom's test says.

Well, unfortunately for me I just rang them, they do not serve the Finglas exchange :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

mynameis.. wrote: »

This made me smile! :D

OP I had a line installed just for broadband and it failed for two months or so before I had it disconnected but I had it reconnected about a year later and it now passes.

I spent a lot of time on the phone to Eircom when it wouldn't pass at first and I was eventually told that there weren't enough lines from the local exchange and I was sharing one which was the issue, or something to that affect but I'm not sure how accurate that is...

LA3G wrote: »
    This made me smile! :D

OP I had a line installed just for broadband and it failed for two months or so before I had it disconnected but I had it reconnected about a year later and it now passes.

I spent a lot of time on the phone to Eircom when it wouldn't pass at first and I was eventually told that there weren't enough lines from the local exchange and I was sharing one which was the issue, or something to that affect but I'm not sure how accurate that is...

Ah yes, how long ago was that? They are (the old) splitter (carrier) lines, one line split into two numbers, apparently you can test if you have one of them by dial up in which case you won't get more than 33kbps, I am pretty sure I do not have that, as I can get easily 50K on my dial up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Nearly there, but no cigar. I'm told that Smart get the test data off eircom and then determine suitability for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭magconn

Nearly there, but no cigar. I'm told that Smart get the test data off eircom and then determine suitability for themselves.
    Oh man, I had that same **** from eircom. Line not compatible. " You can t bread BB on that line, but we cant tell you why!!" Did some diggin. Carrier copper line. Screwed. But Eircom man called to gate and I wouldnt let him out til i got an answer ! Had to install new line ..not the end of the world. Got it installed, line check, no dice, not suitable. Nearly died. Waited a few weeks, no go. all neighbours to left, right x road has it!! Paying rent for 2 lines at this stage. Rand up to cancel old line. Asked me why, explained. The y said to hang on and they would check again, came back and said, wait for it, yes, your line may be suitable! And hey presto, here I am

Long story, sorry, but happy ending, but I still abhorr Eircom but am afraid to leave incase i have any issues cos they do really have ya by the short and curlies!!!!!

Well, I didn't bother waiting to find out, i left eircom for Magnet, which seems to be bang on, very good experience so far, gonna get BB in 2 weeks time, apperently they paid little attention to the eircom line check. once they knew which exchange i was on, they said they can make it work... wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kudzRS

Hi Guys,

Thanks.

is your line activated with eircom yet? (do you have a dialtone and can u make/receive calls)

generally there are 3 factors for getting dsl on your line.
    1. Distance from exchange
    2. carrier lines
    3. line capacitance

i work for an isp and we can check these factors in a few minutes for any new customer signing up once the line is active and you have the eircom a/c number and phone number.

dont see why eircom are making u wait so long

yeah not sure either, the line is activated, and I do get line tone, can you pm me your mail and I can give you my acc and number. much appreciated if you can check.

Well, I didn't bother waiting to find out, i left eircom for Magnet, which seems to be bang on, very good experience so far, gonna get BB in 2 weeks time, apperently they paid little attention to the eircom line check. once they knew which exchange i was on, they said they can make it work... wait and see.
    good luck. hope it works out for ya:)

Thanks a mil guys for all your help an suggestions! much much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

I wouldn't pin my hopes on Eircon too much. I did a search on their site to check the suitability of a phone line and this is what I found...

"Broadband Alternatives
    If you can't get broadband wheather you line is not suitabel or your exchange has not been enabled yet. You might like to consider some alternatives,"

If these people can't even spell or use correct punctuation how the hell are they able to tell us if a line is suitable for broadband...???:rolleyes:

Well, the good news is that I am fully up to speed running with Magnet, and the experience is A++ so far, they are very very helpful and really do their homework, speed is 11Meg down and 1 Meg up. Very happy man...

HA!! In your face EIRCOM!!!!! Congratulations n2f:)

Advertisement