Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

claving camera

• 10-03-2009 9:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

hi quick!

looking for a solution..
    i am calving cows(a handfull) at the moment..but i live about 10miles away! any idea's on what i could do--ie calving camera's etc..

you know urself==can't b driving back + forth(hav a day job)--which i am doin at mo!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

wiggy123 wrote: »
    hi quick!

looking for a solution..
    i am calving cows(a handfull) at the moment..but i live about 10miles away! any idea's on what i could do--ie calving camera's etc..

you know urself==can't b driving back + forth(hav a day job)--which i am doin at mo!

There are cameras available that will send a signal up to 10 miles, but they are very expensive and I think the signal is reduced if there are hills in the area.

Looking at overcoming a similar problem ourselves. My OH's home place is 60 miles from our house. We have only 15 cows there. At present the inlaws are able to keep an eye on them, but they are getting on and its not fair to expect them to do it.
    Have been looking at a security camera with an IP addresss that I can access on the laptop or the phone. It needs to be plugged into a broadband connection which would be possible at the shed (we rent out a house there and could have a broadband connection there). While you could be talking €3k + for a camera to send a signal 10 miles, an IP camera comes in at less that €300. You do need to be able to plug it into a broadband line, but we could have that quite cheap or possible free with the phone provider in the house that we have rented out. The great advantage is that we can access it from anywhere, can have 3 or 4 cameras in the shed if we like, and anyone can access it from a computer or mobile phone.

As I said, I'm still looking into it, but it could be an option for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

gd thinking!
    hear what ur saying--they are expensive! them camera systems!

problem with ur other idea--is shed is isolated..has power to it just!

i rent it out,etc!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Turbury

wiggy123 wrote: »
    hi quick!

looking for a solution..

Been there too, still am there infact.

Best solution is IP camera with PTZ control and night vision-however also needs broadband at both ends which can be expensive and there may be upload speed issues despite what the broadband provider claims.

The 2.4 Ghz or siimilar systems can go 10 miles but almost definatly need line of sight, so if you can get high enough for line of sight this is worth considering.

You can also use UHF which does not need LOS (within reason) and can easily be boosted up to travel long distances - problem of course is the broadcast will be received by everybody and there may be legal issues with transmitting UHF without a licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

What about the wireless USB sticks you can get for ~ €30 from mobile providers, and then a monthly sub of around €15? Would need a laptop onsite with power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Turbury

lanod2407 wrote: »
    What about the wireless USB sticks you can get for ~ €30 from mobile providers, and then a monthly sub of around €15? Would need a laptop onsite with power.

Apparently this system works reasonably well. I had thought there would be major issues with uploading speed but I was only this morning talking to a guy who uses it and reckons its ok. Must investigate further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

The really annoying thing about those USB sticks is that the Irish networks only supply Chinese models made by Huawei, while there's a Belgian company with an Irish assembly plant right here in Cork - and their product has a great reputation.

And we wonder why we're losing jobs .............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭adne

The USB Stick for internet connection would work out very costly... 25 Eur x 12 Mths -> 300 a year. Need the same at your house ....

Not a viable longterm solution.....

• Registered Users Posts: 30 corriganalan

Something like this? A camera with a sim card...
    http://www.watchanywhere.com.au/

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭canon5571

You could try these http://www.equicom.ie/index.asp. There is nothing shown on the site for your situation but they might be able to get ya something. I got a few bits of them and they offer a great service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

Our gsm video transmitter ( 4 channel) with audio is ideal for calfing, security ect . The unit fitted with 1 sony had ccd camera 780 tvl, high res + gsm video reciever to connect to your tv . View from anywhere in the country even your mobile or tv . Price fitted 1850 euros,

Regards,

Colm Moore

GOT FROM info@mooresecurityireland.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement