Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are they allowed to do that?!

Options
  • 10-03-2009 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Recently, our financial director told us that they have a "request". Either we accept working extra 4 hours per week unpaid or they would cut our wages by 10%....

When some of us insisted that it would be ok but we would need it in writing explaining why?! The reply was , they cant provide it because its only a request. :rolleyes:

We were told if we dont comply as a group, the director will have to move towards plan B which is cutting hours, firing workers, cutting working days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Sounds like blackmail to me.

If they are changing your working conditions, then they are changing your contract of employment which requires you to agree to it before any changes are made.

http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

It is blackmail,get some advice.Smells very ratty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 chris1982

Thanks for the replies..I did call NERA just now and was told the same..They would be able to cut my hours/days work due to the "economy", but they would be unable to dismiss me because i refused to work extra four hours for free.

I have been at the company about 9 months i think the best thing is to stick through it, and just wait it out and see where they are going with this..When im with the company at least 12 months then i can start thinking differently

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i think legally they cant force you to, you have a contract with them and they cant turn around and do it.....but you probably should support them in this. i dont know your conditions and industry but im being made redundant along with more than half the peoploe in my office due to some "restructuring"

it may be borderline blackmail...but you may just have to grin and bear it to keep a job the way things are...... you probably work the extra four hours anyway whenever you have deadlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 chris1982

Uglyjohns,

Yes, i was thinking along the same lines..It is on borderline blackmail, but on other hand they have given us at least a choice..With current economy, perhaps i should grin through it..He did say it was a request and they are asking for help without wanting to go through more drastic measures..

It is the hotel sector, perhaps i shouldnt moan looking at the statistics supposedly 33 hotels have recently closed down for good or temporarly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

wonder if your financial director will be taking a pay cut ?

The whole thing sounds dodgy. One thing is you have to agree as a group ? How is that meant to work ?

In any case a change in pay or hours will mean a new contract which each individual person will have to sign and agree to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Only a word of warning OP, as you're only there 9 months they can cut you for any reason basically and you have very little come back. Once you go past the 12 month line you're in a whole lot better position.

Advertisement