Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Mouse-Keep as pet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

I'm the exact same with snails I bring some of them home to my back garden where they can live happily! baby snails are so so cute, it's crazy how tiny they are!

Dudara your guy sounded cool where did you let him loose in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We live across the road from a park (an old one with lot of trees and shrubs), so I let him loose in there. I figured that he would be able to find a nest and food in there easily.

I hated doing it though - he was adorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

The name of this thread needs to be changed to "Crazies welcome to post here"! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

you people are crazy. Wild mice are filthy and full of diseases.

Caught 7 of them over the last 2 days in our house. Got a box that electrocutes them when they walk inside it to get at the food. Best purchase ever, as sometimes the traps arent sensitive enough if they're really small mice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

We had a pair of pet mice for my son years ago. Pinky and the Brain, they were so cute. They were supposed to be 2 girls but ....

Mice are prolific breeders, it seems to be their only purpopse in life. the brain had to get a new home.

My OH said they stank. When you get used to handling them they get really tame.

So if you don't get a new home for your guy/gal there could be lots of babies on the way...... they say where there is one there are more.

I think wild mice will automatically kill pet mice.

Guinea pigs make cool pets, and they chatter away to you. Also rabbits can be house trained and will use a cat litter tray for the toilet.

Has anyone any experience of ferrets for house pets, me and my girl love them and she wants one. Any advice would be great.

we did have a Young Pine Martin ( not a wee baby ) that we found injured on the road one day. Took it home and nursed it and it got right tame, played with kids !

Had to call the wildlife ranger to take it away as they are protected. It was really funny, he couldn't believe it was playing with kids as they are supposed to be really vicious. It learned to get out of the cage and my OH woke up in front of the telly one night with it sat on him looking into his face. he totally freaked ( not an animal guy ) thought it was gonna tear his throat out. ha ha.

It got out of the cage in the rangers car too.

• Advertisement

Wow pine martins are gorgeous! Ronan appeared last night, I said hello Ronan and he didn't move, just watched me, looked at the hob nob I had left him and then legged it! We didn't get a chance to get a trap at the weekend:D, partly because we like him a lot, but we will this week I promise!

Ya Pine Martin was gorgeous.

Just love to sit there watching animals do their thing.

Did you get a mouse trap, or a cage for him to live in. They are so cute.

He's living al fresco at the moment, sleeps under floorboards at night and comes up for nibbles. He makes us laugh, but we gotta get a trap and release him! He keeps us up at night too, two adults shouldn't be shouting 'shut up ronan!' to a mouse in the middle of the night:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Pine martens kill chickens, ducks, geese and other domesticated fowl. Me no likee.

Want to see pics of my baby mice? This is Star - he's three weeks old and starting eat solid food.

'cptr

Oh my god i nearly had a nosebleed cause that chap is so cute!!! Gimme!!:D

• Advertisement

They do, but i still love them.

i lost more young hens to cats than to anything else, can ya believe that ! and the place is riddled with foxes.

I couldn't see pic of your baby mice my computer is sooo slowww. it sucks.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I lovvve this silly thread...:D;):confused::cool::P:eek::rolleyes::D;):pac::pac:

Our cat catches mice and I have to take them off her or else she tortures them, she rarely kills them.

one night a few months ago the cat was at the front door with a mouse what did I do but open the door and in comes the mouse and slips under the door into my bedroom:eek: and I wasn't too keen on sharing my room with him. The following night I woke around 4am and he was on top of the wardrobe and the cats two eyes popping outta her head watching him
    so I prepared for action..... he ran down between the wardrobe and the wall and went into a box I had daffodil bulbs in so I had to remove the bulbs one by one until I could see him then I had to grab him quickly and out the door like a bullitt and ploped him on the front lawn. I was so glad to have caught him I jumped up and down like an eejit... if anyone saw me out on the lawn that night in my pjs and no shoes:o:o.....

mice are harmless fellas but boy can they move fast:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Actually pine martens get blamed for this when it is almost always mink. Rare for pine martens. Egss they will take though if the netting is large enough.

Mink are ***************
    Pine martens kill chickens, ducks, geese and other domesticated fowl. Me no likee.

Want to see pics of my baby mice? This is Star - he's three weeks old and starting eat solid food.

'cptr

sorella wrote: »
    Actually pine martens get blamed

Your opinion counts for nothing - my neighbour shot a pine marten in his hen house after it had killed 14 hens and he hung its carcass on the back fence to deter others.

Pine martens are unwelcome foreign nationals, imported to bring the grey squirrel under control and now causing its own problems. What to do?...oh I know, lets blame something else.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Rats are great too, I know they're dirty but I'm amazed at how brazen they are. Last time we were camping, heard a little rustling outside the tent so I went out to investigate. OH came out a few mins later to find me sitting in a blanket throwing scraps to a rat who was just outside the circle of light mycandle was giving out. He was so cheeky, kept sitting there waiting for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

We had a rat that lost his fear of humans and started eating the bird food I leave out. Unfortunately he completely lost his fear and one day was a little too tardy in moving while my OH was backing his work van out...

I'm happy there are other people who don't hate rats!In St. Annes they're almost as tame as the squirrels!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Your opinion counts for nothing - my neighbour shot a pine marten in his hen house after it had killed 14 hens and he hung its carcass on the back fence to deter others.

Pine martens are unwelcome foreign nationals, imported to bring the grey squirrel under control and now causing its own problems. What to do?...oh I know, lets blame something else.

'cptr
    Pine martens had been in Ireland for thousands of years before the grey squirrel was introduced.

Pine martens are a rare sight, protected and are often confused with mink.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Pine martens had been in Ireland for thousands of years before the grey squirrel was introduced.

Pine martens are a rare sight, protected and are often confused with mink.

How right you are - you must have a HOOOJJ BRANE. I believed my knuckle-dragging neighbour when he said they weren't native. He's from Kilkenny - what does he know...

'cptr

They have a damn cool Irish name...Cat Crainn...:D

• Advertisement

Here's one of "my" hedgehogs from a couple of years ago.

I'm very jealous, they're gorgeous little creatures. Our garden is walled in though no way they'd get in and wouldn't want them to with my doggie stalking around the place! Were they very tame?

They were very tame (they would lick catfood off my fingers) then again I think hedgehogs have little or no fear of humans. They'll just stay put and curl into a ball if they feel threatened.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Here's one of "my" hedgehogs from a couple of years ago.

Nice 'hog dude. We're getting ready to move our hedgehog back outside - he's been living in the kitchen all winter while he healed after being mauled. He's totally tame, wandering around the house eating spiders and looking disdainfully at everyone.

Unfortunately I haven't seen a hedgehog in the garden since they went into hibernation around Nov 07. I left a nesting box out over that winter but there were no hogs about the following spring despite me putting out food for them. Although I reckon from looking at the bedding inside the box that hogs had been in there at some point.

I might start putting out food again soon and see if it attracts any visitors.

I was watching Ronan last night when up popped another head out of his hole and a fatter mouse came up!!Noo!!! I bet it's his missus and she's pregnant!Gonna try get trap tonight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

Linguo wrote: »
    I was watching Ronan last night when up popped another head out of his hole and a fatter mouse came up!!Noo!!! I bet it's his missus and she's pregnant!Gonna try get trap tonight!!
    Hate to say we told ya so! :D

:DHe took advantage of our kind nature! But they are both cuties, just don't want a whole family running around the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

no mice, but many many years ago my 'rents had a pheasant that used to run around the garden (until the surrounding fields were turned into a housing estate) they also had a rat in the garden. I thought D'Mother was trying to be funny till I saw him myself. The neighbour's cat chased him off.

We'd a cat years ago, when I was a kid, who'd bring home mice and rats. One of the rats he brought home wasn't dead, it was a big vicious fecker!

I found a hedgehog snuffling around for scraps at the back door last year, I think (hope) he's hibernating in the corner. I used to talk to him.

Currently there are two crows who hang around waiting for me to throw out scraps/leftovers. Better than any dustbin them lads are!

• Advertisement

I have to say I really like crows, they're so cheeky. I want to try tame one of the brent geese now down at the seafront and persuade them not to fly back home!

Advertisement