Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United (0) v (0) Internazionale Milano UCL - 11/3/09 - 7.45pm MATCH THREAD

• 10-03-2009 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

36078_Manchester-United_logo.pngV internazionale_logo150px.jpg

logo-uefa-champions-league.png

My team:

VDS

NEVILLE
    EVANS
    VIDIC
    EVRA

RONALDO
    SCHOLES
    CARRICK
    PARK

BERBATOV
    ROONEY

MY prediction 2-0 HOME WIN

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

3/4-0 United, Over hyped Inter to be thought a footballing lesson.

Inter are an average team playing in a poor league. Any of the premierships top 6 would pick them off pretty easy at home imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The score in the thread title looks like a pair of tits.

:D

Des wrote: »
    The score in the thread title looks like a pair of tits.

:D

LOL, is it just me or does the right tit look bigger than the left?

Boggles wrote: »
    3/4-0 United, Over hyped Inter to be thought a footballing lesson.

You're having a laugh Shirley.

What was the last time Ferguson even put out a team that looked capable of winning three or four nil in the knock out stages of the CL?

It will be a score draw and United will go out, or else they'll nick a winner towards the end, either 1-0, 1-1 or 2-1.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Inter are an average team playing in a poor league. Any of the premierships top 6 would pick them off pretty easy at home imo
    Remember last time Mourinho brought a average side to OT in the CL? Anyway this game will not be easy.

rarnes1 wrote: »

This is nothing more than a bullshít Dunphyism, imo.

No I'm not and don't call me Shirley.

Roma last year and the year before, both times they were second in the Italian league.

CHD wrote: »
    Remember last time Mourinho brought a average side to OT in the CL?

Yes.

Manchester United had a perfectly good goal pegged off for offside.

And it never was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

What was the last time Ferguson even put out a team that looked capable of winning three or four nil in the knock out stages of the CL?

It will be a score draw and United will go out, or else they'll nick a winner towards the end, either 1-0, 1-1 or 2-1.

2 years ago anyways,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/6534975.stm

i don't think it will Roma-esque

but i see United going through anyways

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭shakespeare

for me...

VDS
    -Oshea---Vidic---Ferd/Evans---Evra-
    -Ronaldo--Carrick--Scholes---Park---
    Tevez
    Rooney

Ferdinand first choice but if he doesnt make it Evans, Oshea in at RB ahead of Neville purely on match fitness, Midfield picks itself i reckon...has to be scholes and carrick at home...wouldnt be surprised to see giggs in for park but id give park the nod, hes been great in big games so far this season. toss of a coin to see if nani would do anything so too much of a risk to start him imo.

finally...Tevez or Berbatov...Tevez or Berbatov...

think Tevez has had his confidence knocked quite a bit this season, has been used to being first on the team sheet where ever he's played in his career and i can see a big difference in his body language compared to last season. hes still working his arse off but he looks a little dissillusioned. after his 4 goals against blackburn in the cup, he was left out for the next game... i think, after his performance at the weekend...put him in and we might get the right reaction from him...then Berba/Giggs/Nani/Anderson/Fletch on the bench...depending the way the game goes...we've enough options to nick it...wouldnt dwell too much on the performance in the away game...Porto comes to mind and ive got too excited too many times for European ties...
    but i think we'll get through...

Utd 2-0.

Yeah.

Because you all predicted a 7-1 rout in that match.

Admit it.

Before that game, you were all tense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

CHD wrote: »
    Remember last time Mourinho brought a average side to OT in the CL? Anyway this game will not be easy.

Yeah I remember that. It was when United were an average side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Yes.

Manchester United had a perfectly good goal pegged off for offside.

And it never was.
    And went out...

Yeah.

Because you all predicted a 7-1 rout in that match.

Admit it.

Before that game, you were all tense.

Of course I didn't, Roma were 2-1 up though.

From what I have seen of Inter in the Champions League and particular the first leg against United, I will be tense but I stand by my prediction.

I think they got one shot on target over the 2 legs against Liverpool last year, and they were further clear in Serie A under Mancini.

There is a gulf in class IMO and it will become even more evident tommorow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Des is right imo

Doubt this will be more than a 1 or 2 goals win at most if Man Utd were to go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

According to SSN, Rio trained this morning. So thats good news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I predict a comfortable win for Utd. 3 - 0. Call it Dunphyism or whatever, Inter are a poor side comparatively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

1-0 United, can't see it being anything more than a 1 goal win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Well, I for one am really nervous about this game.

United have generally not been great in attack this season and the truth is we have been wasteful in front of goal in many, many games, the Inter game in the San Siro being a great example of this.

My pessimistic attitude and outlook leads me to believe that we'll probably create loads of chances, but only score one of them, then conced in the last few minutes and go out on away goals.

I actually don't really rate this Inter side too highly, i don't think they will win the CL regardless of what happens tomorrow, but i just don't have the faith in United to create and finish the chances required to put Inter to the sword. Mourinho is well able to set his side up to get the 1-1 draw that they need.

I do hope United play to the potential they have in the squad, and that we beat Inter as we should have done 2 weeks ago, but i'm not going to be predicting 2 or 3 nil wins for United. Not unless Ronnie has his shooting boots on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

That would be the side that beat Roma 7-1 at Old trafford in April 2007 during the Quarter-Final. A Champions league knockout scoring record by the way.

Man Utd: Van der Sar, Brown, Ferdinand, Heinze, O'Shea (Evra 52), Ronaldo, Fletcher, Carrick (Richardson 73), Giggs (Solskjaer 61), Rooney, Smith

Goals: Carrick 12, Smith 17, Rooney 19, Ronaldo 44, 49, Carrick 60, Evra 81

redout wrote: »
    That would be the side that beat Roma 7-1 at Old trafford in April 2007 during the Quarter-Final. A Champions league knockout scoring record by the way.

Man Utd: Van der Sar, Brown, Ferdinand, Heinze, O'Shea (Evra 52), Ronaldo, Fletcher, Carrick (Richardson 73), Giggs (Solskjaer 61), Rooney, Smith

Goals: Carrick 12, Smith 17, Rooney 19, Ronaldo 44, 49, Carrick 60, Evra 81

My point still stands.

Are you honestly telling me that when you saw that team named, 4-5-1 it was, Smith played in the middle with Carrick and Feltcher, that you were confident of a two or three goal win?

Don't lie to me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

My point still stands.

Are you honestly telling me that when you saw that team named.

4-5-1 it was, Smith played in the middle with Carrick and Feltcher, that you were confident of a two or three goal win?

Don't lie to me now.

i agree - that was simply a night where everything went right for United and Roma did everything wrong.

This United side have the players and ability to beat Inter comfortably imo - but the form is not there and hasn't been for most of the season, also, as you point out, the intent is rarely there in Europe either.

My point still stands.

Are you honestly telling me that when you saw that team named, 4-5-1 it was, Smith played in the middle with Carrick and Feltcher, that you were confident of a two or three goal win?

Don't lie to me now.

Nobody would have predicted it. Bayern Munich two weeks ago is another one. They knocked 5 past Sporting away in the knockouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

If the attitude is right tomorrow night we will win by at least 2 clear goals, i am sure of this, Inter are poor at the back and have their own injury worries, Rooney is in a bit of goalscoring form and he will be playing tomorrow night im sure, i fancy him to continue his good run of goals since his return and really i cant see Inter being able to cope with the creativity he will bring this time around

Their defence was woeful last time and all it needed was a little spark to unlock it, with better finishing from the weakened team united had in the first leg this game would be over as a contest already im sure

Have faith lads

Well Des get off the fence, give us a prediction so, instead of listening out 3 possible outcomes and results. ;)

Boggles wrote: »
    Well Des get off the fence, give us a prediction so, instead of listening out 3 possible outcomes and results. ;)

Eighty five nil to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

as i said 2-0 with Rooney and Ronnie getting the goals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

1-1 with UTD out on away goals.

Goals from Ibracadabra and Rooney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm fairly wary about this match, I don't know why you wouldn't be.

I doubt many on here would be particuarly surprised by United putting in a top class display and beating Inter 3-0, they do have it in them. Just like they can do that to Arsenal and Liverpool [like last season]

At the same time, Inter imo are in a better position due to the away goal issue. It's going to be a ****ing nail biting in defence game with VDS in goal and Ferdinand not at 100%.
    Personally for the sake of my nerves, I'd like it if Inter scored in the first minute, and we had to attack.

That said, logically, we desperately need to score first, to open up the game. Open game at Old Trafford has only one winner. But if the game goes on longer and longer without a goal, we'll be in real trouble imo. A couple of Inter plays have that magic in them.

Either way, I'll be in Sinnotts and it should be good bloody fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I'm very wary of this game. I think United could easily destroy Inter, but they could just as easily go out. It really is tough to call, but it will be a fascinating game.

Fergie confirmed in his press conference today that both O'Shea and Ferdinand trained today and that both will play. Squad that trained today..

Van der Sar, Foster, Kuszczak; Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Fabio, Evans, O'Shea, Eckersley; Ronaldo, Anderson, Giggs, Park, Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, Gibson, Nani; Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez, Welbeck.

VDS
    -O'Shea-Rio--Vidic--Evra
    Carrick--Scholes
    Ronaldo---Giggs---Rooney
    Berbatov

Bench:- Evans, Eckersley, Park, Anderson, Tevez, Fletcher, Welbeck,

With Giggs and Scholes both sitting out the Fulham game. Scholes sitting out the Newcastle game, and Giggs only being a very very late sub I believe both will be starting this match. However a center midfield consisting of the two would not work IMO so I think Rooney will be forced out wide to accommodate again.

IMO Tevez will not be starting this game regardless of your opinion on his display at the weekend. Berbatov was left out for a reason, the reason being this game. Ronaldo obviously starts. With Rio and O'Shea being fit the defense picks itself.

Inter have defense problems of there own at the moment. So I want to see United really go out them early on, and try get an early goal which would force Inter to come out, and hopefully unsettle there defense.

At the moment I believe we will win this. An early goal an Inters defense could crumble, the longer we go out with scoring the more chance of Inter nicking it.

as i said 2-0 with Rooney and Ronnie getting the goals

Last seasons Champions league leading goalscorer Ronny has yet to score in this seasons comp believe it or not.

redout wrote: »
    Last seasons Champions league leading goalscorer Ronny has yet to score in this seasons comp believe it or not.

He does lead the way with Shots on Target, and is second in the number of Shots wide :(

in work, wont see the press conference till later...

did he say oshea and ferdinand were definite to start?

in work, wont see the press conference till later...

did he say oshea and ferdinand were definite to start?
    manutd.com wrote:
    There was good news for United on the eve of the Champions League clash with Internazionale as Rio Ferdinand was passed fit to start the match.

The 30-year-old defensive lynchpin injured his ankle at Fulham in Saturday's FA Cup tie, and there had been concerns over his availability for Wednesday's crunch game.

However, Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed Ferdinand's fitness at his Tuesday lunch-time press conference. Rio is now expected to partner Nemanja Vidic, who was suspended for the first leg in Milan, in the heart of United's defence.

The United boss also declared John O'Shea to be ready. The Irishman has been nursing a heel injury of late but he also trained on Tuesday morning.

Sir Alex said: "Ferdinand and O'Shea trained today for the first time (since Saturday's match at Fulham). Both are fit and both will play."

Players absent from the first-team session at United's training headquarters were Gary Neville, Wes Brown, Rafael and Zoran Tosic who is ineligible anyway.

The squad in full training at Carrington on Tuesday morning was as follows:

Van der Sar, Foster, Kuszczak; Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Fabio, Evans, O'Shea, Eckersley; Ronaldo, Anderson, Giggs, Park, Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, Gibson, Nani; Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez, Welbeck.

full text from manutd.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

got a strange feeling about this game.

Vidic back is a mega plus as his ferdinand declaring his fitness today

Prediction for meh 2-1 UTD , united to score first

full text from manutd.com

thanks...

unreal that we have 3 rb's injured at once...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I'm not confident. I never am when we fail to bring an away goal to OT from the 1st leg. I can see us getting knocked out to a 1-1 draw, but if we do scrap in, it'll be 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i think most peoples' prediction will generally depend on whether they want utd go through or go out...

utd fans who think they're team is pretty much faultless while inter's is a 'mid-table team' (lmao) will claim upwards of a 3-0 victory.

realistic utd fans will know that the heavy likelihood is that itll be a tough game. utd don't normally do it easily in europe, and inter will be resolute, capable of bolts from the blue especially from the likes of ibra and adriano (if he's interested).

fans who want utd out will generally tell themselves that inter are maybe better than they are. they will claim a 1-1 draw, or extra time and penalties. nobody i think is going for an inter win outright. correct me if im wrong!

these are generalisations i know, but i would guess that a lot will fall under these categories.

personally, as someone who would like utd out, im going for a close 2-1 victory to utd. they're imperious at the moment, and the class they are showing i suspect will shine through if its as close as i suspect itll be.

hoping im wrong though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

4-5-1 it was, Smith played in the middle with Carrick and Feltcher, that you were confident of a two or three goal win?

Smith played up front in that game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Trilla wrote: »
    Smith played up front in that game

I thought so too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

VDS
    -O'Shea-Rio--Vidic--Evra
    Carrick--Scholes
    Ronaldo---Giggs---Rooney
    Berbatov

I doubt he will go with 4-5-1 to be honest, he hasn't used that formation really since CQ left

Probably more like

VDS
    O'Shea----Rio
    Vidic
    Evra

Ronaldo---Carrick--Scholes---Park

Berbatov--Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

PHB wrote: »
    I'm fairly wary about this match, I don't know why you wouldn't be.

At the same time, Inter imo are in a better position due to the away goal issue. It's going to be a ****ing nail biting in defence game with VDS in goal and Ferdinand not at 100%.

That said, logically, we desperately need to score first, to open up the game. Open game at Old Trafford has only one winner. But if the game goes on longer and longer without a goal, we'll be in real trouble imo. A couple of Inter plays have that magic in them.

I'd agree with a lot of this - the failure to get an away goal could be very costly. The fact that a draw will mean Inter go through (or penalties in the case of a nil-nil) forces Utd into attacking. However even if Utd do get the first goal, it doesn't really benefit them greatly as with that situation Inter still go through. Even if Utd get the second and go 2-0 up, there is still the fear that if Inter score one, Utd are on a knife-edge again. The away goal situation means that Utd wont be able to consider themselves comfortable unless they go 3-0 up. It's not a very comfortable scenario to be facing going into a game. I can't really see how this one won't be a nervy, tense affair, unless Utd score 3 in the first 15 mins

Also Van der Saar's recent form has to be a concern. I also think that all the talk of the quintuple doesn't really help much and only serves to crank up the pressure.

I don't know if I'd agree 100% that an "Open game at Old Trafford has only one winner" unless is means Utd getting a three-goal advantage, which given some of this season's finishing isnt exactly iron-clad.

As it stands with the away goal situation

0-0 Penalties
    1-0 Utd go through
    0-1 Inter go through
    1-1 Inter go through
    2-0 Utd go through
    2-1 Utd go through
    0-2 Inter go through
    1-2 Inter go through
    2-2 Inter go through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

2-0 united or 2-1 united

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Even if Utd get the second and go 2-0 up, there is still the fact that if Inter score they are through. The away goal situation mean that Utd wont be able to consider themselves comfortable unless they go 3-0 up. It's not a very comfortable scenario to be facing going into a game.

ROFL - what do you thnk the score in the first game was?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I predict a nailbiting 1-0 win to Utd where Utd mess up chances to put the game away. Can't wait for it.

pretty big feckin typo there.

0-0 Penalties
    1-0 Utd go through
    0-1 Inter go through
    1-1 Inter go through
    2-0 Utd go through
    2-1 Utd go through
    0-2 Inter go through
    1-2 Inter go through
    2-2 Inter go through

The guide to the away goals rule for Dummy's !! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

As it stands with the away goal situation

0-0 Penalties
    1-0 Utd go through
    0-1 Inter go through
    1-1 Inter go through
    2-0 Utd go through
    2-1 Utd go through
    0-2 Inter go through
    1-2 Inter go through
    2-2 Inter go through

How about just United win and they are through and if they draw and they are out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

kida wrote: »
    ROFL - what do you thnk the score in the first game was?
    pretty big feckin typo there.

Gah - I would have got away with that bit of nonsense of it werent for you pesky kids too. My ninja edit was just too miserabely slow. Nice work on the quick quote to preserve that for eternity kida :(

My main point still stands though - I can just see it being an awfully nervy affair, due to the lack of an away goal

• Advertisement
Advertisement