Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United (0) v (0) Internazionale Milano UCL - 11/3/09 - 7.45pm MATCH THREAD

Comments

RasTa wrote: »
    How about just United win and they are through and if they draw and they are out?

What about a 0-0 draw??

" facepalm"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The guide to the away goals rule for Dummy's !! :pac:

I just like getting things clear in my brain. Is that so wrong?
    RasTa wrote: »
    How about just United win and they are through and if they draw and they are out?

NOPE That would make far too much sense.

Unnecessary pointless complication >>>> simple plain logic

Also if it's a nil nil draw then PENALTIES LOOM !!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Inter have been more prolific away from home in the league and champions league this season! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Boggles wrote: »
    Inter have been more prolific away from home in the league and champions league this season! :eek:

interesting.

and this, even though they still haven't lost at home under mourinho?

wow, so inter are a decent team :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Manchester United

UEFA milestones
    • United set a new record for the longest unbeaten run in UEFA Champions League history with their goalless draw against Inter on Matchday 7. The holders last lost in the competition at AC Milan on 2 May 2007 and have won eleven of their subsequent 20 matches, drawing nine. AFC Ajax (14 September 1994 to 3 April 1996) and FC Bayern München (14 March 2001 to 10 April 2002) shared the previous record of 19 matches without defeat.

• The first leg with Inter was United's 200th match in the European Champion Clubs' Cup, and their 50th draw.

• The first leg was Ryan Giggs' 125th match in UEFA club competition.

UEFA Champions League statistics
    • Only Wayne Rooney has featured in all seven of United's games this season.

• Cristiano Ronaldo has had 16 shots on target, the highest total in the competition, but has fired wide on 14 occasions, more than any other player still involved.

• United have conceded just three goals to date, the best record in the competition.

• The holders have managed 60 shots wide and won 54 corners, more than any other team.

• United have collected only seven yellow cards, fewer than any other side in the last 16.

Disciplinary information
    • Nemanja Vidić is available again after a one-match ban following his red card in the FIFA Club World Cup final.

Latest domestic information
    • Saturday 7 March: Fulham FC 0-4 Manchester United FC (Tévez 20 35, Rooney 50, Park 81)
    United reached the FA Cup semi-finals for the 26th time – a competition record – with an impressive display in west London, Carlos Tévez heading the visitors in front after Wayne Rooney had flicked on a corner. Tévez doubled the advantage with an unstoppable drive from 25 metres, and second-half goals from Rooney and Ji-Sung Park rounded off the win.

• "It was a great performance, right from the word go," said Sir Alex Ferguson, who is aiming for his sixth victory in the competition. "The energy in our team was terrific. Carlos was fantastic, he was everywhere. He's a courageous little player and I'm pleased for him. It's the start of a very, very important seven days for us and it was important we got off to a good start. Our next seven days will prove where we are and where we're going."

• United will play Everton FC in the semi-finals at Wembley on 18/19 April.

• United are unbeaten in 15 matches in all competitions, winning 13. They have lost only once in their last 30 games.

• United claimed another trophy on 1 March, defeating Tottenham Hotspur FC 4-1 in a penalty shoot-out in the League Cup final after 120 goalless minutes at Wembley. Giggs, Tévez, Ronaldo and Anderson all scored for United, whose goalkeeper Ben Foster saved from Jamie O'Hara while David Bentley missed for Tottenham.

• It is the third time United have won the League Cup following their successes in 1992 and 2006.

• Having already claimed the FA Community Shield and Club World Cup, the result keeps United in contention to win six competitions this season, although Giggs warned: "There's a long way to go. We've just got to keep the same desire, play as well as we have done. We've played better than we did today, but we won so that's what it's all about. It [was] a cup final so obviously we wanted to win it and then kick on. That's what we did with the Club World Cup, so hopefully we can show the same form after winning this."

• United returned to Premier League action with a 2-1 victory at Newcastle United FC on 4 March, although they had to come from behind after Peter Løvenkrands gave the home side a ninth-minute lead. Rooney equalised (20) and Dimitar Berbatov scored what proved to be the winner in the 56th minute.

• The win was United's eleventh in succession in the Premier League – equalling the club record, although still two short of Arsenal FC's competition best – while they have won their last eight matches at Old Trafford in all competitions since a 2-2 draw with Aalborg BK on Matchday 6. United have won all bar three of their 21 home games this season, drawing the others.

• Løvenkrands' goal was the first conceded by Edwin van der Sar in the league in 1,311 minutes, since Samir Nasri's 48th-minute strike for Arsenal on 8 November. Former Club Brugge KV goalkeeper Dany Verlinden holds the European record for the longest run without conceding in a European top flight having gone 1,390 minutes unbeaten in 16 matches from 3 March 1990 to 26 September 1990.

• Van der Sar made his 250th Premier League start at Newcastle and has kept 18 clean sheets in the English top flight this season, more than any other goalkeeper. United have conceded only 12 league goals this season, fewer than any other side.

• Roque Santa Cruz's goal for Blackburn Rovers FC on 21 February was the first United had conceded in the Premier League in 1,334 minutes, a match for which Van der Sar was rested. They had kept 14 consecutive clean sheets.

• Eight of United's last 14 Premier League matches have ended in a 1-0 win.

• United have claimed 18 victories in their last 21 games in all competitions, with the Tottenham match counted as a draw. The sole defeat in that winning run came with a 1-0 loss at Derby County FC in the first leg of the League Cup semi-final on 7 January.

• Giggs registered the only goal in United's win at West Ham United FC on 8 February, meaning he has scored a league goal in each of his 19 seasons with the club. The Welshman is also the only player to find the net in all 17 seasons of the Premier League era.

• Løvenkrands became the first player to score against United in the opening 15 minutes of a league game this season.

UEFA Champions League squad list changes
    • In:
    Federico Macheda
    Davide Petrucci

• Out:
    Owen Hargreaves

• Hargreaves is not expected to play again this season having been out since 21 September due to a knee injury.

• In January United paid a reported €17m to FK Partizan for Serbian duo Zoran Tošić and Adam Ljajić, with the latter returning to the Belgrade club on loan for the rest of the season. Tošić is ineligible for the UEFA Champions League.

Injury news
    • Wes Brown – out 25 October to 27 January and since 31 January (ankle)
    • Jonny Evans – out 20 January to 15 February (ankle)
    • Wayne Rooney – out 14 January to 18 February (hamstring) and 24 February to 4 March (virus)
    • Patrice Evra – out 11 January to 15 February (foot)
    • Anderson – out 20 January to 1 March (ankle)
    • John O'Shea – out 18-24 February (heel)
    • Rafael – out since 21 February (ankle)
    • Gary Neville – out since 31 January (virus/ankle)

• Rio Ferdinand (ankle) and O'Shea (hamstring) were both substituted with minor injuries against Fulham, Evans and Richard Eckersley respectively coming on, with Sir Alex admitting the former's injury was more concerning. "Rio's holding his ankle and there's a bit of swelling there but we hope it's not too serious and that he'll be fit for Wednesday," he said.

Miscellaneous
    • Giggs, Neville and Van der Sar have all signed one-year contract extensions with United, tying them to Old Trafford until June 2010. Sir Alex confirmed that for Van der Sar "next year will be his last".

• United have announced a July tour of Asia, with games in China, Korea Republic, Indonesia and Malaysia.

• United became the first English club to win the Club World Cup with a 1-0 win against LDU de Quito in Yokohama, Japan on 21 December, despite Vidić's red card early in the second half. Rooney scored the only goal having also struck twice as a substitute in the 5-3 semi-final defeat of Gamba Osaka, when Vidić, Ronaldo and Darren Fletcher also found the net.

Inter
    UEFA milestones
    • The first leg was Inter's 300th match in UEFA club competition.

UEFA Champions League statistics
    • Javier Zanetti, Maicon, Esteban Cambiasso and Zlatan Ibrahimović have featured in all seven of Inter's games in this season's competition, Zanetti and Maicon playing every minute.

Disciplinary information
    • Maicon's next booking will incur a suspension.

Latest domestic information
    • Saturday 7 March: Genoa CFC 0-2 FC Internazionale Milano (Ibrahimović 2, Balotelli 61)
    A well-taken early goal from Ibrahimović, the striker controlling a long ball from Dejan Stanković and scoring with a fierce finish, set Inter on course for their first win in four outings in all competitions. The visitors had Júlio César to thank for preserving their lead before Mario Balotelli eased nerves following an Ibrahimović pass, despite the efforts of midfielder Marco Rossi on the goalline. It was enough to condemn Genoa to their first home defeat of the season in Serie A.

• Victory came at a price for Inter as centre-back pairing Marco Materazzi and Nicolás Burdisso both went off with thigh injuries, with the latter also suffering knee ligament damage. Materazzi was replaced by Iván Cordoba after 15 minutes and a minute past the half-hour Burdisso departed for Sulley Muntari, with Cambiasso switching to central defence. Cristian Chivu did not travel to Genoa due to a minor shoulder injury.

• "We played well, both individually and as a team," said Inter coach José Mourinho. "We lost two defenders to injury in the first half and it was not easy, especially because I have a few players returning from injuries and I could make only one substitution in the final part of the game. Genoa are one of the best teams in Serie A and had not lost at home all season so I think my players deserve a lot of credit. Cambiasso played superbly when we were forced to play him in defence."

• Having waited until 21 February to score his first Serie A goal of the season, Balotelli has now struck four in his last three league matches.

• The victory was the Nerazzurri's tenth on the road in Serie A this term and their fourth in succession.

• It was Inter's second trip to the Stadio Luigi Ferraris in four days having lost 3-0 to UC Sampdoria in the first leg of their Coppa Italia last-four tie. Antonio Cassano and Giampaolo Pazzini (2) did the damage, condemning the Nerazzurri to their first defeat in ten matches in all competitions and leaving them with an uphill struggle if they are to reach the final for a fifth consecutive season. The second leg is on 22 April.

• Mourinho's seven-year unbeaten home record in the league had been in serious jeopardy on 1 March when AS Roma went 2-0 up at San Siro through Daniele De Rossi (22) and John Arne Riise (29). Though Balotelli (51) reduced the arrears, Matteo Brighi (56) made it 3-1 before a penalty from Balotelli (62) and Hernán Crespo's first league goal of the season (77) salvaged a draw.

• Mourinho has not lost a home league fixture since 23 February 2002 when SC Beira-Mar beat his FC Porto side 3-2, 111 games ago.

• Júlio César and Zanetti have featured in all 27 Serie A games this season, the former playing every minute.

• Inter are more prolific away from home than at San Siro in Serie A, scoring 28 of their 49 goals on the road.

• Davide Santon made his Inter debut in a 2-1 Coppa Italia win against Roma, 19 days after turning 18.

• Inter have lost just once at home in all competitions this season, 1-0 to Panathinaikos FC on Matchday 5.

UEFA Champions League squad list changes
    • In:
    Walter Samuel
    Nelson Rivas
    Vid Belec
    René Krmin

• Out:
    Ricardo Quaresma (Chelsea FC, loan)

• Olivier Dacourt has joined Fulham FC on loan until the end of the season.

Injury news
    • Walter Samuel − out since 28 February (calf)
    • Cristian Chivu − out since 28 February (shoulder/thigh)
    • Marco Materazzi − out since 7 March (left thigh)
    • Nicolás Burdisso − out since 7 March (right thigh and knee ligament damage)

• Centre-backs Materazzi and Burdisso are expected to be out for several weeks after suffering knocks against Genoa while Chivu has been ruled out of the trip to Old Trafford by a thigh problem.

• Balotelli left the field on a stretcher midway through the second half against Sampdoria after colliding with the post as he attempted a header. The 18-year-old was given the all-clear and started against Genoa.

Miscellaneous
    • Roberto Mancini, who left Inter in May, was voted Serie A's coach of 2007/08 by his peers.

• In January Ibrahimović received three accolades from the Italian Association of Footballers: best player, best foreign player and the goal of 2008 for a back-heeled volley against Bologna FC in October.

• On 2 March Francesco Toldo signed a new two-year contract with the Nerazzurri which will run until June 2011. "Inter make me feel young, like a winner," he said.

• Inter have signed a co-operation agreement with Russian Premier-Liga outfit FC Krylya Sovetov Samara. The two clubs will share ideas and information on coaching, management and infrastructure, with particular focus on youth development.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/news/kind=16384/newsid=790656.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm skayuhhd :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Pigman III

Aren't we all... I don't like predicting scores, just incase I'm wrong, and my mate Paul (Nailz) is a superstitious as hell, on top of loving United far too much, so he doesn't want any of the Utd supporters in our group of friends do that either! All I want to say is, I feel United can kill them, batter them, clean them out of it & destroy them, but that's only what they can do, not what they will certainly do, but if Inter are going to win it will be by away goals and United left feeling they could have hammered them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Any idea what the Inter back 4 will be? Is Samuel gonna play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Trilla wrote: »
    Any idea what the Inter back 4 will be? Is Samuel gonna play?

Jose Mourinho comes to Old Trafford with a serious hole in his options at centre-half as Marco Materazzi (thigh), Nicolas Burdisso (knee) and Christian Chivu (groin) remain at home in Italy, and some doubts persist over Walter Samuel’s (calf) participation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Samuel plays as far as i have heard, im unsure about who will partner him though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

kryogen wrote: »
    Samuel plays as far as i have heard, im unsure about who will partner him though
    It'll prob be Samuel and Cordoba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Des wrote: »
    The score in the thread title looks like a pair of tits.

:D

What kinda wonky teddy bear titties have you been playing with? :confused:
    :D

If we play to our ability we should beat them. But I do worry. All those missed chances in the first leg could come back to haunt us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I'm scared, nervous, and excited all at once. Its like the walk to the bedroom the first time you were going to have sex. Except this time the nerves will last another ten hours and the action at least 90 minutes.

I'm not sure about it. I'm not gonna let myself get nervous until around 7 o clock. But United would wanna play this one safe, they need to play at a high tempo and put Inter to the sword. I really don't feel comfortable with a one goal lead in the last 10 minutes.

If I was picking the team, assuming fitness I'd go with:

VDS
    JOS
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra
    Fletch--Scholes--Carrick----Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Berba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

I'm scared, nervous, and excited all at once. Its like the walk to the bedroom the first time you were going to have sex. Except this time the nerves will last another ten hours and the action at least 90 minutes.

Bedroom?

• Advertisement

I'm scared, nervous, and excited all at once. Its like the walk to the BEACH/back seat of the car the first time you were going to have sex. Except this time the nerves will last another ten hours and the action at least 90 minutes.

FYP :P

I try not to get too wound up about football this far in advance any more. It's pointless. I'll worry about it about 45 mins before it starts.

I'm not sure about it. I'm not gonna let myself get nervous until around 7 o clock. But United would wanna play this one safe, they need to play at a high tempo and put Inter to the sword. I really don't feel comfortable with a one goal lead in the last 10 minutes.

If I was picking the team, assuming fitness I'd go with:

VDS
    JOS
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra
    Fletch--Scholes--Carrick----Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Berba

If I was going 4-4-2 I would have Park on the right ahead of Fletch.
    ITT-Pat wrote: »
    Bedroom?

LOL, well you can substitute it for walk to the car park, walk to grimy bathroom in underage disco, or to those trees in the field around the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Want to see

VDS
    O'Shea Rio Vidic Evra
    Carrick Scholes Park
    Ronaldo
    Berbatov Rooney

Hope it rains or they could water the pitch and make it really slick. They need to play like they did when we stomped Chelsea. Giggs to come on early if we are struggling to break them down. Want to see exactly what Liverpool did last night!

I'll be behind the dugout :D

If I was going 4-4-2 I would have Park on the right ahead of Fletch.

I thought Park was useless in Milan myself. This is the kind of game Fletch normally excels in. We need a high tempo game a la Roma 2 years ago, come out sprinting, and I don't think Inter will be able to handle that.

Rooney in the pocket is the key IMO to breaking down Maureens system.

That team would realistically line up as this though:

VDS
    JOS
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra
    Fletch--Scholes--Carrick----Rooney
    Ronaldo
    Berba

well you can substitute it for walk to the car park, walk to grimy bathroom in underage disco, or to those trees in the field around the corner.

Kitchen table, kitchen floor, the couch, swimming pool, shed etc....ANYWHERE but the bleedin bedroom!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Monaco 1998, FC Porto 2004......please not again!!! Going on Inters first half at the san siro I wouldnt be worried at all, but they showed some teeth in the 2nd half and an away goal is possible. Still, we are better man for man and I expect to squeeze a tight, nervous 1-nil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I think if United had won the first leg 1-0 like Liverpool did against Madrid we'd absolutely batter them tonight just like Liverpool did.

As is, I think nerves will play a part and we'll have to content ourselves with squeaking through...

Which is unfortunate because I think, if anything, the gulf in class between United and Inter each at their best is even bigger than that between Liverpool and Real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I have no doubt there is a gulf in class between the 2 teams, and I am quite confident that United will hammer them, especially with Rooney and Vidic back.

That said it is a one off game, a stupid ref decision, a sending off, just bad luck and it could be a very cagey evening entirely.

I stand by my prediction though, I think Rooney and Berbatov will run riot, given Inters defense personal problems, Cambiasso could well play CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Boggles wrote: »
    I stand by my prediction though, I think Rooney and Berbatov will run riot, given Inters defense personal problems, Cambiasso could well play CB.

You could well be right. As I said, I'd have no doubts at all if we had won the first leg but I just feel we might set our stall out a bit cagey, then again if I had to guess I'd say we're more likely to win comfortably than not.

If Cambiasso plays in defence that's even better for us, since he's moving out of his natural position, a position in which he was one of Inter's only impressive performers last time out. If he plays in midfield I'd prefer Flether's combative play to Park's energy in the midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

LOL, well you can substitute it for walk to the car park, walk to grimy bathroom in underage disco, or to those trees in the field around the corner.
    edited

Edited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

If United play anything like they did at the San Siro then they'll progress. I'd be wary of Inter, though, you never know what Mourinho's capable of. And they do have players who could nick an away goal (Ibrahimovic, for instance).

It makes for an interesting match, considering that Inter have been good away from home and United's home form, overall this season, has been outstanding.

With it being at home, though, and the quality United can call upon (Ronaldo, Berbatov, Tevez, Rooney), the fact that they have goalscorers and matchwinners all over the pitch, plus the fact they've been in this position before and come out winners (Barcelona last season, for example), I'm predicting a United win :D That being said, the defence and Van der Sar haven't looked as solid in recent times, though Inter's defence, on that note, are no great shakes either and could get a real test if United are in the mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Assumption Des. I said I still live at home never mentioned my mother.
    Indeed! Your mother stays with me most nights anyway, so you've basically got a free gaf all the time! :D

Dave! wrote: »

actually never mind.

moving swiftly along ;)

I think utd will really take the game to inter.

Im going for 2-0 to utd and the scorers Rooney and berba

For me at all depends. If we get an early goal I can see going on and destroy Inter. If we don't score early I fear we will go out.

• Advertisement

For me at all depends. If we get an early goal I can see going on and destroy Inter. If we don't score early I fear we will go out.

im fairly confident for tonights game tbh,Once Fergie picks the strongest team it should elementary my dear alan :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I think United will win 2-1 here, although I wouldn't be surprised if they won 3 or 4 to nil.

The only weapon Inter have is Ibrahimovic. He's currentling banging goals in for fun in Serie A. The only question mark with him though is that he has consistantly flopped in the Champions League for pretty much all of his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

I hope united dont go out and play terrible. The last thing we need is heads to go down with the pool match on saturday aswell.

With that said I don't think we will play bad. I think possibly 2-0 win to united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Any further news on Inters team, back 4 in particular?

I have had a change of heart after watching Pool last night. I think Mourinho is going to instruct Inter to risk hell for leather in the first 15mins and try steal a goal then put everyone behind the ball for the rest of the evening. If they succeed with an early goal then we are in for a rough ride. If we score early then the game will be over I reckon as we will no doubt get another.

Report: Inter Boss Jose Mourinho To Field Mancini Against Manchester United

Press rumours in the peninsula suggest that Inter coach Jose Mourinho has only one major selection problem ahead of the Champions League showdown with Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Despite a long injury list, the starting XI is almost completed, but the Portuguese is still scratching his head over the man who will act behind Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

The ex-Chelsea coach has apparently decided to employ the Swedish international as a lone forward, with midfielder Dejan Stankovic employed in a trequartista role. However, Mourinho is still unsure whether to play Mancini or Mario Balotelli next to the Serbian.

The latest whispers coming from England claim that the ex-Roma ace will get the nod. This would be a major surprise considering the Brazilian has been on the fringes of the squad so far this term, starting just 8 games in Serie A and netting a single goal in the Champions League.

Meanwhile, Walter Samuel has recovered from a problem and will partner Ivan Cordoba in central defence. Christian Chivu, Marco Materazzi and Nicolas Burdisso are all sidelined

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1716/champions-league/2009/03/11/1149599/report-inter-boss-jose-mourinho-to-field-mancini-against-manchest

Rooney Inter interview (Sounds daft that !)

Before the first leg most United fans would have settled for a draw. Given the way the game panned out, was the team disappointed with a draw?
    We were a little, yeah. We had a few chances to win the game and perhaps should have taken them. Had we done that then we’d be in a lot better position. But I still think a draw was a good result. Of course, we’d have preferred a score draw – that’s better than 0-0 – but we’re still in a good position and it gives us a good chance in the second leg. Now we know we’re capable of creating chances against Inter and at Old Trafford we’ll play with more pace and really attack them.

Your involvement was limited to seven minutes in the first leg. You must have been itching to get on when you saw the chances we were making…
    Absolutely. Whenever you’re sitting on the bench you want to come on and get involved. I didn’t get too long in Milan but I was impressed with the way the team played without me so I can’t really complain too much!

Were you rested as a precaution or was it a tactical decision to leave you out?
    My hamstring feels good but obviously I’d played 90 minutes a few days beforehand. It always pays to be a little bit cautious with a hamstring injury so if I’m honest I probably expected to be on the bench for that game.

Does it mean you’ll be doubly determined to make your mark on the tie at Old Trafford?
    Of course. Hopefully I’ll play and by the time that game comes around we’ll have watched the video of the first leg and identified a few weaknesses of theirs that we can exploit. So we’ll set about trying to do that and unsettle them.

A lot was made before the first leg about how strong Inter Milan were. Did the game in Italy prove there’s nothing to be scared of?
    I wouldn’t say that. They’re a good side, don’t get me wrong. But I thought we were a lot better at passing the ball and creating chances. They were a bit more direct than us, which was fine because we’re maybe used to that sort of play in the Premier League – we face a lot of teams who play like that. They’re a physical side but we coped well in Milan and I’m sure we’ll cope again at Old Trafford.

Both teams would have taken away positives from that first leg…That’s right. Inter will know that if they score then that means we have to get two, so we’ll have to concentrate at the back. Hopefully we won’t concede – and we’ve been good at doing that this season – and then it’s up to the forwards to take some chances at the other end.

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=6628484&page=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Liverpool fan here. Just wanted to wish you the best for the clash tonight. Hope to see you in the next round.

W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I will be honest and say I hope that United get knocked out (for the obvious reason) but United should be able to make it through. As I said in the last leg, my only worry for United is whether Inter manage to sneak one goal and United have trouble scoring 1 more then them. Even if Inter do go through though, there will be no doubt in my mind that United will have been the far superior team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I will be honest and say I hope that United get knocked out (for the obvious reason) but United should be able to make it through. As I said in the last leg, my only worry for United is whether Inter manage to sneak one goal and United have trouble scoring 1 more then them. Even if Inter do go through though, there will be no doubt in my mind that United will have been the far superior team.

On the bit in bold... fair play - can't really uderstand why anyone would wish for their rivals to do well, i was hoping for Juve and Real wins last night!!

I do worry that Inter will snatch a draw, but even if they do, I don't htink they are good enough to win the CL. I rate them as a better side than Real Madrid, but that is only cause I don't really rate Real at all. BTW, I'm not saying that purely to take away from Liveprool last night - no matter what i think of Madrid, it was an awesome performance from Liverpool last night.

Getting nervous now.I think that Vidic will be the difference tonight though.Just have a feeling he'll nick a goal with the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Team news?

A7X wrote: »
    Team news?

Twenty minutes away yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Getting really nervous now. I don't know how I'll be able to handle it if United are the only English team to be knocked out before the quarters.:( I really think we have the ability to beat them by 3 or 4, but considering we've struggled to do that at all this season I think it's going to be a much tighter, tense affair.

On the bit in bold... fair play - can't really uderstand why anyone would wish for their rivals to do well, i was hoping for Juve and Real wins last night!!

I do worry that Inter will snatch a draw, but even if they do, I don't htink they are good enough to win the CL. I rate them as a better side than Real Madrid, but that is only cause I don't really rate Real at all. BTW, I'm not saying that purely to take away from Liveprool last night - no matter what i think of Madrid, it was an awesome performance from Liverpool last night.

Inter better than Real Madrid? I don't agree with that tbh. They without doubt have a better manager thats about it.

The Italian league is not as strong as the Spanish league, not by a long shot. There so called big named players never produce on the big stage.

Of course they still are in with a shout, but are they good enough?

I don't think so. Unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Word from Old Trafford regarding the Inter line-up: "Italian media are also reporting that Mario Balotelli has won the nod over Amantino Mancini and, along with Dejan Stankovic, will support lone striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic in a 4-3-2-1."

CONFIRMED LINE-UP for MANCHESTER UNITED: Van der Sar; O'Shea, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra; Cristiano Ronaldo, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs; Berbatov, Rooney.

CONFIRMED LINE-UP for INTER: Julio Cesar; Maicon, Cordoba, Samuel, Santon; Zanetti, Cambiasso, Vieira; Stankovic; Balotelli, Ibrahimovic

Scholes + Giggs = not good, imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Hmmmm, interesting, looks like we all go very attacking :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement