Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat Chick Jogging

Options
  • 10-03-2009 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

If you are a complete beginner, then this is the thread for you.

Up this am and jogged very slowly two miles. Running time not worth mentioning, but I did enjoy myself a lot. Felt marvellous afterwards as well. I will say that I think my gait is wrong, as I immediately had a blister on my right instep, exactly the same place as I always get. I need to think about that, and to tighten my shoes to remove the friction.

However, the main aim of today was to get the sack of potatoes out of bed and on the pavement, which means that today was a good day. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Walls wrote: »
    Running time not worth mentioning,

QFT

Just get out there as regularly and consistently as you can when beginning, no need to worry about times or anything like that for a long long time.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

If you are a complete beginner, then this is the thread for you.

Up this am and jogged very slowly two miles. Running time not worth mentioning, but I did enjoy myself a lot. Felt marvellous afterwards as well. I will say that I think my gait is wrong, as I immediately had a blister on my right instep, exactly the same place as I always get. I need to think about that, and to tighten my shoes to remove the friction.

However, the main aim of today was to get the sack of potatoes out of bed and on the pavement, which means that today was a good day. :)

Good for you Walls :) Keep it up. Don't forget to eat right too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

you need 3 things for a blister: Heat, friction and moisture. Eliminate any of these and you will get rid of the blister.

Good luck with the running. As mentioned above, consistency is the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Congrats on starting to run and your log and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

Am very surprised at how kind you all are, my own little efforts hardly merit a mention. Thank you very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Am very surprised at how kind you all are, my own little efforts hardly merit a mention. Thank you very much.

Well everyone has to start somewhere, and this is as good a place as any :)

Good luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Best of luck .

Right, day two.

I'd had some calf pains on Tuesday evening in the pool so I was not going to push myself in any sense of the word. I'd me wee band aid on for the blister, so I was all set.

This one was difficult, for no good reason. I got to the end of my road at the end of the session and was genuinely tired. I still managed to get a blister, but not as severe. I spent ten minutes doing cool down stretches to aid my calf muscles.

It is extremely enjoyable though, I could see this getting addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

It is addictive, and gets more so, especially if you build it up slowly and stay injury free.

If the blisters are coming that easy, there may be a problem with your shoes not fitting properly or being worn. Sometimes buying a good pair of running socks may help.

Good luck, keep it going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Mr Amazing

great work, keep it going :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Well done!!
    I am also a beginner & have found the people here great for advice & motivation.
    Good luck with the running :D

@ Moondancer; many thanks! This lovely weather is a perfect excuse to get out there. I can't be the only one to think "Paddy's Day? Day off? Running time!"

Went for a strongly paced walk on Sunday of three miles, and it felt marvellous. Next run is tomorrow of five minutes strong walk, two miles, then a fifteen minute stretch to cool down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

I'd me wee band aid on for the blister, so I was all set.

Go to a pharmacy and get some Compeeds. These are special plasters that cover your blister like a second skin. Warm one up in your hands first (this helps it to stick better), make sure that your skin is clean and dry and apply the Compeed. Hold it firmly there for a minute.

I've seen two sizes of Compeed and I'd go for the large one if it fits the area where you have your blister (e.g. not between the toes).

You should get six Compeeds in little green pack for about 7 euro. They're worth twice that!

Keep up the running and you might have read it elsewhere but don't try and do too much too quickly. Just keep getting out there consistently and clocking up the time on your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

@ Moondancer; many thanks! This lovely weather is a perfect excuse to get out there. I can't be the only one to think "Paddy's Day? Day off? Running time!"

Went for a strongly paced walk on Sunday of three miles, and it felt marvellous. Next run is tomorrow of five minutes strong walk, two miles, then a fifteen minute stretch to cool down.

Good on ya!!
    I'm getting up early in the morning to do a mountain hike! Gonna give a go at running a bit too :D
    Hope you get the blisters sorted out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Congrats on getting started Walls. The start of running when you've no real goals and you're not putting any pressure on yourself is probably the best. Enjoy that while it lasts...soon enough you'll be getting all competitive and crazy. :D

mp1972 wrote: »
    Congrats on getting started Walls. The start of running when you've no real goals and you're not putting any pressure on yourself is probably the best. Enjoy that while it lasts...soon enough you'll be getting all competitive and crazy. :D
    Me? Naaaaah!

Jogged yesterday and found it again, difficult. I'm beginning to believe that what I eat has a HUGE impact on the jogging. Will keep an eye on the diet to check.

Ran this morning the same two mile route and timed myself for the first time. And it was......

thirteen minutes! A nice six and a half each. Even passed someone out on the way. I'm off to enjoy a quiet smugness for the rest of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Mr Amazing

Ran two mile
    thirteen minutes! A nice six and a half each.

:eek::eek::eek: wow well done :):)

and you've only been posting since 10-03 :eek:

I'm too embarressed to do my log now :o I'm so slow :o

keep up the good work.

Ran this morning the same two mile route and timed myself for the first time. And it was......

thirteen minutes! A nice six and a half each. Even passed someone out on the way. I'm off to enjoy a quiet smugness for the rest of the day.

6.30 mile? :eek:

*goes back to the snail colony*

Mr Amazing and Kirby, come on!!! That was one good day when the wind was blowing in my favour the whole time. Don't let one little post on a board put you off. KEEP GOING!! I'll be nagging you if you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Mr Amazing and Kirby, come on!!! That was one good day when the wind was blowing in my favour the whole time. Don't let one little post on a board put you off. KEEP GOING!! I'll be nagging you if you don't.

So what pace are your runs usually run at?

There's lots of people here who would'nt be able to run at that speed in a race......its definitely not slow for somebody starting out (and its even more impressive if your carrying excess weight). How did it feel effort wise?

Actually it started out quite difficult. That is the third time it happened (see above), and so I gave myself a good talking to, turned up the music on the phone and put the head down. Checked the time when I got home, while sitting on the side of the bed panting and red faced, and there was the time, all done.

My run this morning was started at 8.53 and finished at 9.13, so it seems that yesterday was a fluke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Actually it started out quite difficult. That is the third time it happened (see above), and so I gave myself a good talking to, turned up the music on the phone and put the head down. Checked the time when I got home, while sitting on the side of the bed panting and red faced, and there was the time, all done.

Its still a good time and something for you to build on....like I said a lot of people would not be able to run that time in a race so if you stick with it you could set some fast times.

Really? I shall be strutting even more, so.

Another two miles done. I'm comfortable with this now, I plan to run Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays to keep the momentum going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Another two miles done. I'm comfortable with this now, I plan to run Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays to keep the momentum going.

Well done, keep it going.

Saturday saw me take part in a lovely four mile run around Kilkenny Castle. It really is easier when the scenery is good!

That sounds really nice, I need some better scenery to run through!

• Advertisement

And because you're not in Dublin, if you see anyone else out running they will smile and wave!

Advertisement