Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat Chick Jogging

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Lol... up here you get dirty looks and skangers shouting stupid crap at you, but I got a double thumbs up from a lady in her 70s yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Lol... up here you get dirty looks and skangers shouting stupid crap at you, but I got a double thumbs up from a lady in her 70s yesterday :)

dirty looks and people shouting abuse? wtf?

does this happen a lot?

I've never seen or heard of this..

what do they shout?

Bear in mind that I live in "beautiful" Dublin 24 :pac:

I've had skangers making comments about my weight plenty of times while running - "run off those cakes yeh fat cnut" and other such charming stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Bear in mind that I live in "beautiful" Dublin 24 :pac:

I've had skangers making comments about my weight plenty of times while running - "run off those cakes yeh fat cnut" and other such charming stuff.

I'm from 24 originally, if you live near the dodder I would jog there, rarely any riff raff hanging about.

alternatively you could tuck your socks into your tracksuit and put a handbag under your arm they'll think you're one of their own ;)

Meh, to look like one of them at my age I'd need at least 3 kids hanging out of me :pac:

There's a lot to be said for putting the volume on my iPod loud enough to block them out though.
    (I think we should leave Walls to her training log...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

Good Lord you people have it tough. Anyway...

Sunday went to the pool and did fifty laps. I wasn't as tired as I expected, there was walking and talking and everything.

Monday I went for my two miles as usual and found that it took a while to warm up. My ankles were complaining for a bit, I had to be very careful of my gait to ensure there were no injuries. However, I warmed up eventually and make it home with a strong comfortable pace.

And today I cycled the forty minute cycle to work. Hair ruined! I tells ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Really well done for starting and keeping going. I've just started running myself and am really beginning to enjoy it- seem to be running around the same distance as you. But my God 2 miles in 13min- that's really fast! Well done again!
    I'm confused though about one thing- you are able to do 50 laps in the pool which is about 1.25km? Surely that gives you serious aerobic capacity and should help with the running or am I completely missing something?:confused:
    I think swimming is probably the most difficult thing in the world- at least running you can stop and walk:D

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    I'm confused though about one thing- you are able to do 50 laps in the pool which is about 1.25km? Surely that gives you serious aerobic capacity and should help with the running or am I completely missing something?:confused:

Yup. Lazy. I am a good swimmer and I love it very much. However, running takes quite a lot out of me and so I am not as good at it. I feel it a lot more and it takes more time for me to recover. Unlike swimming I feel everything much more when I jog; my feel hurt, knees complain and back is creaky. With swimming, the only real problem is that my sinuses act up and I end up speaking "bike kiss".

So I could have all the aerobic capacity (is that when you eat a lot of Aeros?) of a large sperm whale, I'd still be a lazy old sod once I hit the pavement.

If you've only recently started running then the little niggles are to be expected. Keep at it and you'll be flying :)

(tbh you sound like you're going to be a triathlete some day!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Walls wrote: »
    Yup. Lazy. I am a good swimmer and I love it very much. However, running takes quite a lot out of me and so I am not as good at it. I feel it a lot more and it takes more time for me to recover. Unlike swimming I feel everything much more when I jog; my feel hurt, knees complain and back is creaky. With swimming, the only real problem is that my sinuses act up and I end up speaking "bike kiss".

So I could have all the aerobic capacity (is that when you eat a lot of Aeros?) of a large sperm whale, I'd still be a lazy old sod once I hit the pavement.

I say I have a fairly high Aero capacity myself...:D
    Quick q for you: you're working in KK aren't you? I'm working in KK myself- can anybody use the track at the Watershed or do you have to be a member (I presume that's where you are swimming...). I was thinking of trying to use it either at lunchtime or before I drive home in the evening?

Alas, I was only down to visit my Mum and Dad for the weekend, as well as giving a reading in Kytelers. I'm not sure of the Watergate but I'd say you can do a "pay as you go" mullarkey with them as they operate the pool in the same way.

Okay, three miles done, at 39 minutes. I'm perfectly happy with that as it is the first time I'm extending my distance and it is a nice round number I can decrease.

I also recommend choosing good music. I had the soundtrack for Battlestar Galactica blaring in my ears so probably looked terribly intense. Frack!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great running Walls. I'd usually listen to music when running too, but I have to watch out sometimes though, as it controls my speed. Fast tempo song I'll be strutting along in time with the music. Slow tempo (not too many of these thankfully) and I'll subconsciously slow it down. Sometimes I sing. I really have to watch for that one. :)

Curiously, I secretly think that classical music is sometimes perfect, especially when you need an even pace over a long distance; Bach's Brandenburg Concerto is a good one.

A mere two miles this am to get the heart going. I'm hoping for something longer tomorrow (Krusty's log has me shamed) and to top it off with hitting the pool again Sunday.

Three miles followed with twenty laps in the pool. Sitting here with a late lunch undoing all my good work.

Great work Walls! Enjoy the lunch, you've earned it!

Great work Walls! Enjoy the lunch, you've earned it!
    Thanks hon! Well done yourself, you're doing brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Wow you've achieved more in about 3 weeks than i have in the last 6 months. Fair play to ya!!! I need to start working up some more mileage and start running instead of walking!!!

• Advertisement

Arragh gwan out of that. If you're only walking I'd say try jogging veeeery slooooowly on the balls of your feet for thirty seconds. That's right, just that much. Then keep walking and after five minutes, try it again.

Repeat the next time you're walking.

On the third time, stretch your jogging to forty five seconds, twice a walk. (You can see where this is going.)

When you are ready, go for the one minute, and once that is okay, you know what you do? Go right out and buy proper runners, that the nice man/lady in Arnotts will fit properly to your feet and will mind ya. If you want, I'll tell you what happened to someone who ran six miles in a pair of running shoes from Dunnes, but it is not pretty and they were washing the stains out for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Walls wrote: »
    Arragh gwan out of that. If you're only walking I'd say try jogging veeeery slooooowly on the balls of your feet for thirty seconds. That's right, just that much. Then keep walking and after five minutes, try it again.

Repeat the next time you're walking.

On the third time, stretch your jogging to forty five seconds, twice a walk. (You can see where this is going.)

When you are ready, go for the one minute, and once that is okay, you know what you do? Go right out and buy proper runners, that the nice man/lady in Arnotts will fit properly to your feet and will mind ya. If you want, I'll tell you what happened to someone who ran six miles in a pair of running shoes from Dunnes, but it is not pretty and they were washing the stains out for some time.

yeah I was doing ok with some of the small jogs until I took a break of a few weeks. I'm only just getting back to normal again now so should be out walking the streets again this evening.
    I'm looking forward to reading all your future posts. You're doing really well. Fair play;)

Well, last week saw me jog three times a week, each one more difficult than the last. The break finally came on Sunday when in Kilkenny (down at my folks for Easter) when I did a sweet four + miles around the town in the morning. It was great! Didn't want it to end.

Same to this morning, when I did a mere two miles (time nothing great, 24 minutes!) but it was wonderful to get out there and get going. A swim tonight, and then three miles tomorrow.

I passed another woman jogger last week while I was out, and said to her "We're fabalass..." And we are.

This log was on page three of the forum, I've got to post more.

Right a mere two miler this am, but a good pace and good time at nineteen seconds. Sorry, did I say seconds? I meant minutes, got distracted there.

Ran three times last week, two at two miles and a four miler which was great fun when I didn't fall over and hurt my knee. My pace is progressing very nicely, I'm recovering quite well. I think though that I can make it four times a week, maybe.

Followed with twenty laps in the pool.

Great going walls! and you're slagging me off? You're like one of those Gladiators on UTV, compared to me, tootling around on my bike. :D

You do thirty miles FOR THE LAUGH!! What are you, mad or something?!?!

Two miles this am at 19 minutes. Now off to cycle to work (40 minutes).

I will say this, though. The only way to improve is to work at it, to push myself beyond what I'm comfortable at. It takes at this stage one session to push myself and by the next run I find things come more easily.

• Advertisement

Three mile run, close to 45 minutes before work.

Advertisement