Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Korean Culture - Bus : Colour

Options
  • 10-03-2009 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I heard most foreigners who come to Korea find it difficult to use buses. Actually it is complicated and even Korean people sometimes confused using it. I'd like to leave some informations on this board as a Korean. Please be aware that it could be biased as it is written from a personal point of view.

[BUS]

A couple of years ago bus system - especially in Seoul - has changed. I remember it was near World Cup, so it would be around 2004. This new system was introduced by Lee, Myung Bak who now is the president of Korea and at that moment of time of changing the system he was the Mayor of Seoul. It was done not only to consolidate his image as a innovator along with the restoration of the "Chun-Gye-Chun River" but also to improve the unefficient system of the public transport. Since then buses have been runing as a public transport not as a bus on its own. In Seoul wherever you go the fare of public transports are charged by its distance. The farther you go the more you pay. The number of transit is ignored by it's transport system on condition of having a transport card such as "T-money card" and "Gyo-Tong-Card".

(Colour)

In Seoul you can find three coloured buses in red, blue and green. Also the bus is recogniged by the four digit numbers which have special meaning but not many people care about them. It is said that the numbers illustrate the starting point, the final destination and so on.

Green : short distance, usually inside a "Gu" or two
    Blue : middle distance, usually between "Gu"s
    Red : long distance, usually goes outside Seoul such as "Il-San", "Bun-Dang"

to be continued.....

Advertisement