Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adserver.adtech.de slowdown?

Options
  • 10-03-2009 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭

I'm on UPC/NTL broadband and have no probs usually viewing the forum using Firefox, but in the last 48 hours I have encountered huge slowdown, Firefox reports it is waiting for data from "adserver.adtech.de". Some other forum on the internet advised me to install adblock plus Firefox add-on and subscribe to easylist USA list of ad sites, seems to do the trick, but is there any particular reason why I notice the delay more at home (on UPC BB) as opposd to viewing the forum in work (on Eircom BB)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There could be any number of reasons tbh. Big one may be routing problems between NTL and the adtech.de servers. Another reason may simply be caching in your workplace, which allows the ads to be served quicker.

We would ask that you whitelist boards.ie for adblock, as advertising is boards's primary source of revenue. Obviously where there's a problem with an ad server, fine to block it temporarily, but please unblock it again after a while :)

You could also subscribe, which allows you to contribute to boards and remove the ads altogether.

However, if you opt for neither and opt to continue blocking ads, that's your choice, but it would advisable not to rub our faces in it or advise other to do the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Hi Seamus, thanks for the reply - I have never found the ads obtrusive or needed to block them or anything like that before, it's just that now even though I am on a 20Mb connection, it takes ~2mins to load a page :o

Another user called 311 had the same issue and he resolved it somehow without blocking ads, however the thread is locked now so i can't ask him how he managed it, and also he doesn't accept PMs.

Also some people noticing it here too.

It seems to be an on and off thing. My suspicion is that adtech.de simply can't cope with the load, but being an advertising outfit, they're not all that concerned unless they crap out completely.

I'm on UPC at home. I'll check it out tonight and see what it's like.

cheers ;)

Any joy with this Seamus? Still having the same issues here and also on adverts.ie :confused:

• Advertisement

For the first time since Xmas I haven't had a chance to surf from home, phone only :)

I'll check it tomorrow

Advertisement