Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hearing Voices

Options
  • 10-03-2009 12:36pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Recently when I've been driving around the city, whatever radio-station gets "taken over" for a split second by something else. I figured it was another radio station but on Friday as I was passing the Roches Carpark (old school ftw!). Somone shouted "GOD!" and a second later it was back to whatever Rhianna bullcrap that was previously on.

Is this phenomenon associated solely with my car radio or is it happening to other people in Galway?

I had thought that I was driving past pirate radio stations for a while but it doesn't fade in or out it just does a sharp cut.

Or maybe it is just Jebus talking to me...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I've noticed this a couple of times in the last week or two. Cant remember where, but it must have been on the dublin road somewhere between Oranmore and Mervue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭road_2_damascus

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Recently when I've been driving around the city, whatever radio-station gets "taken over" for a split second by something else. I figured it was another radio station but on Friday as I was passing the Roches Carpark (old school ftw!). Somone shouted "GOD!" and a second later it was back to whatever Rhianna bullcrap that was previously on.

Is this phenomenon associated solely with my car radio or is it happening to other people in Galway?

I had thought that I was driving past pirate radio stations for a while but it doesn't fade in or out it just does a sharp cut.

Or maybe it is just Jebus talking to me...

Id go with the Jebus theory.. keep the ears open, it might lead you down the route of your true destiny... worth a shot I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 45,486 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

the_voices_are_talking-1611.jpg&usg=AFQjCNEhZj1Pdj4cF5hB_PLqnh6WVwS38w

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Possible Theories:

1. Someone in traffic using an iTrip or similar and having bizarre taste in podcasts. Their output is bleeding over and taking over your radio.
    2. Around mass time, I know Barna church for one broadcasts mass over radio. I'm not sure which band or frequency.
    3. Your car radio is faulty and/or possessed.
    4. Time for some thorazine and a nice padded room in Ballinasloe.

I'd go along with the iTrip option. I always thought it would be fun to modify one to up the output and dick with people in traffic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I was thinking that but the range on them is pisspoor. Also that would cause fading in and out and it's unlikely that there would be much "chat" being played over them. It's also at the same volume and quality of sound as the radio stations.

I am going to don a tinfoil hat and create a map of the occurrences, hopefully this will join up into a giant arrow and point out the source of the madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've been using iTrip a lot but set it to an open channel to minimise interference.

OP probably Jesus trying to tell you something, or maybe your car is Bumblebee. Is it a yellow Camaro?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

What station are you listening to when you get this interference?

My car is a Japanese import so the car radio works on different frequencies than a regular car and when ever i listen to iradio in town (in my car it's around 85.2FM) i pick up claddagh cabs radio guy giving out jobs to the drivers!

paulhannon wrote: »
    What station are you listening to when you get this interference?

My car is a Japanese import so the car radio works on different frequencies than a regular car and when ever i listen to iradio in town (in my car it's around 85.2FM) i pick up claddagh cabs radio guy giving out jobs to the drivers!

It depends on the day / time. Either 2fm or Today FM and it definitely happened on Radio 1 on Taylor's hill one Thursday at around 7. It kinda sounds like DJ chat with a bit of music in the background. I'm wondering if it's like the thing that happens sometimes when you get the sound from RTE1 on RTE2 for a second or two...

Then on Friday night we could hear voices in the room when we were watching Wossy, when you turned off the TV they were gone, so we turned it up really loud and you could hear another channel. We searched but it wasn't a channel we seemed to have. :eek:

I'm not going to get too worried unless I start seeing apparitions, then I'm going for a brain-scan :P

At least I'm not the only one, Irishgrover is going to Ballinasloe with me!

It depends on the day / time. Either 2fm or Today FM and it definitely happened on Radio 1 on Taylor's hill one Thursday at around 7. It kinda sounds like DJ chat with a bit of music in the background. I'm wondering if it's like the thing that happens sometimes when you get the sound from RTE1 on RTE2 for a second or two...

Then on Friday night we could hear voices in the room when we were watching Wossy, when you turned off the TV they were gone, so we turned it up really loud and you could hear another channel. We searched but it wasn't a channel we seemed to have. :eek:

I'm not going to get too worried unless I start seeing apparitions, then I'm going for a brain-scan :P

At least I'm not the only one, Irishgrover is going to Ballinasloe with me!

yes, but I don't have any delusions of sanity

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

2472814311_c2abedde61.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

If you're hearing them in the Mervue area, it's from the church. They are using a FM transmission system (possibly illegal) to transmit masses / funerals to local people who are unable to leave the house.

dilallio wrote: »
    If you're hearing them in the Mervue area, it's from the church. They are using a FM transmission system (possibly illegal) to transmit masses / funerals to local people who are unable to leave the house.

Ha, I knew it was God telling me to do it!!!!!!!!

Yesterday in Ballybrit, this time a bit of techno.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,486 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Yesterday in Ballybrit, this time a bit of techno.

Techno at church. I might start going again !

Advertisement