Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heroes...what went wrong?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

His wife was having an affair first though, so it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Just_Magic

Heroes is going down the drain these days. I've watched it all so far and enjoyed the first 3 seasons. Fugitives was shocking though imho :(, lost interest in it.
    Hope things can turn around, else I won't be watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Am I the only one who quite enjoyed series 2 and 3....???

I thought they were really good! I was really hooked on both series, I found them really interesting! Especially Sylar, I thought his storylines were really good! Nothing was as good as the first few episodes of series 1, but that happens with a lot of tv series!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

Well half on your own, i liked season 2.

But 3 was just a mess, poorly acted rushed scenes with a disgraceful storyline. The amount of character changes and out of character reactions/actions, you would swear Nathan and Parkman visited the dollhouse frequently :P

If next seasons first episode doesnt grip me ill be shelving heroes forever. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

Well I think people are being too harsh on the new episodes. I thought the end of season 3 was amazing! With almost every t.v. series you watch you'll most likely like the first seaon the most (the simpsons, lost, prison break etc.), the main reason is that it's new and different in the beginning! But I thought that season 2 and 3 were awesome, I just think they've got a bad rep because they will always be compared to how great the first season was! So I don't think anything has went wrong really!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

I dont compare, i take each episode on its own merit. The characters were more interesting and story more engrossing in the first and even second season imo.

Season 3 was terrible, story all over the place, poor acting.. i swear Parkman was the worst case, he was so unbelieveable throughout its as if he had the script just handed to him and the director just said "ACTION, Roll the film" little to no emotion in the relationship between himself and Daph at all ! Replicating stories from previous sci fi genre's, Peter was just reading off a que card, mostly sad face in all his scenes.

And the pitiful excuse of a climactic ending. I started to get bored with Sylars story also as they had done it before, ok hes ****ed up in the head we get it, now go make him scheme something EPIC. but noooo :) The characters are ment to develop as the seasons progress not deteriorate to the level we witnessed.

Am I really being too harsh? :confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

For some reason I'm still subbed to this forum (something I will be changing shortly) but having bailed on Volume 4 at about episode 17/18 I recently started watching Series 1 again on DVD.

What went wrong, for me, was that Series 1 very obviously always had a plan. There was a sense of confidence in how the characters were going to develop and how the storyline was going to progress, and things fell together very neatly over the course of the series.

The next series lost all of that. Instead of expanding the scope of the series and building on the idea of this group of people who have just discovered that they have superpowers, they tried to put the lightning back in the bottle by having them "try to lead ordinary lives". They decided that people wouldn't like any new characters after having introduced a bunch of 1-dimensional people who were basically excuses for a "cool" power, rather than fleshing them out (something they only really managed to do in the third volume with the puppeteer guy). They kept trying to have the original cast members essentially go through the same character arcs over and over again; they abused things like time-travel and teleportation; but most of all, they didn't have a damn clue what bigger story they were trying to tell. The second volume was mostly the same story as the first volume, only less interestingly presented. The third volume could possibly have been interesting, if it hadn't had some god-awful nonsense going on with Sylar and a load of revisionist history crowbarred in there for good measure. By the fourth volume, I didn't recognise anything of the show that I enjoyed so much in the first season.

If people still enjoy what it is today, then good luck to them. I'm disappointed to see that a show which could've developed into something comparable to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica or The 4400 in terms of telling a great overall story has instead turned into Eastenders with Superpowers, and I'm not watching any more of it. The only things I'm interested in to do with Heroes at this point are the careers of Jack Coleman and Zachary Quinto, because I think they'll have very interesting futures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

What bothered me (along with many other things) was during the first volume of Series 3, Nathan wanted to give everyone powers but then in the second volume of season 3 he wanted to lock everyone up who had powers.

I think the next series could be interesting though, with Nathan being the new Sylar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I stayed away from this forum for years as I only watched the 1st 3 episodes and reckoned it was another Mutant X clone with cheap effects and boring regurgated storylines. A majority of tv show fans convinced me to watch so I bought season 1 & 2 boxette for 65E (I could get both on bluray for less now) it sat on my shelf for months. I eventually got around to it and cleared both seasons back to back in a couple of weeks and was well impressed. There were holes the size of jupiter in most episodes but it was very enjoyable. I thought season 2 was good (well almost as good as 1) which gets stick from a lot of people here, season 3 part 1 was ok ish, but part 2 was absolute sh**e
    bar the scene in the presidents limo
    Noah, Claire Bear, and Mohinder should have been killed in S1 or start of 2, add nothing. The government stuff was kak, Sylar was by far the best character up until he befriended kids and killed only people that didn't serve the plot
    (he let Nathan and the head agent live but took over them? T-1000 would be getting sick).
    I watched season 1-3 in about a month so I wasn't as disappointed as most, but I will give season 4 only 2 episodes to right those wrongs or it will be another Mutant X in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Just re-watched a few Season 1 episodes the other day and I remembered how good the show was. What I think made the Season 1 good was:

Isaac-Remember the fella who could paint the future, and was then killed be Sylar. I really liked his character and his ability to paint a "catastrophe" and others would try and change the future.

Sylar: In Season 1 Sylar is a very mysterious and callous killer but as Season 2 and 3 went on we learnt more about him. I really liked not knowing much about him but I know this couldn't be the case in the following seasons.

Claire: She became very annoying in Season 3 by trying to become independent.

Hiro & Ando: I thought Hiro's and Ando's immaturity in Season 1 was very funny. But then in Season 2 Hiro went to the past and it became very boring. Then in Season 3 the whole immaturity thing became very annoying for me, with Hiro wanting to become some "superhero". I think the writers need to mature his character and make him a bit more serious in Season 4.

The only characters I really liked throughout all the seasons were Nathan, Peter and Matt (I don't know why everyone hates him, I really like this character and his ability). I'm not sure what they can do with Peter's character now that he cannot absorb people's abilities since his father took this from him.

Advertisement