Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Credit for Renting

Options
  • 10-03-2009 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place but here goes .
    Is a person entitled to tax credits for renting when they are renting from a spouse ? While under family law they kinda own the house , their name isnt on the deeds or the mortgage and most importantly they're not entitled to relief at source as they have no mortgage.

Anyone any insight ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

My understanding is that you can't claim tax if you're renting from a family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

mscull wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place but here goes .
    Is a person entitled to tax credits for renting when they are renting from a spouse ? While under family law they kinda own the house , their name isnt on the deeds or the mortgage and most importantly they're not entitled to relief at source as they have no mortgage.

Anyone any insight ?

Cheers

a spouse is entitled to TRS if their partner is. ring the revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Thanks for the replies.
    I had a feeling about the family thing , but wasnt sure was it just parents or all family , does make sense though.

I like your reply better tho' sweetie !!!
    I'll give them a buzz

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

mscull wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.
    I had a feeling about the family thing , but wasnt sure was it just parents or all family , does make sense though.

I like your reply better tho' sweetie !!!
    I'll give them a buzz

Cheers

if you do claim it tho you will pretty much lose your right to be a first time byer in the future (except in the event of a divorce)

Advertisement