Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does An Post bother trying to deliver packages anymore?

Options
  • 10-03-2009 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

I was in the house earlier and heard some post being dropped in the door. I went over and one of the items I received was a docket to say that there had been an attempt to deliver a parcel to me and that I could collect it from the local An Post depot. The postman hadn't rang the door bell or anything, and my car is outside so its not as if it looks like nobodys home. And the docket said that the parcel could be collected any time today - so obviously the postman doesn't have it with him.

So I went to the collections office a while later, collected the package and said to the guy behind the counter that I had been at home and there was no attempt to deliver the package. He came out with the excuse that the postman must have had tried to deliver yesterday but that he had none of the dockets with him yesterday so dropped in in today instead - total nonsense because I was around yesterday too when th post was delivered.

This has happened a number of times before too.

Does An Post not even try to deliver parcels anymore, but just drop the 'attempted delivery' docket in the door??

Thats a bit of a disgrace as I pay for postage on these items when buying stuff on the web.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

I have arrived home twice before to find my parcel sitting in the hanging basket!

I'm sure the postman thought he was doing me a favour so I would have to go and get it myself but still if it was something valuable I wouldn't be very happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

seems to have improved in my area recently but last year i lost count of the number of times this happened, once i was actually standing looking out the window when the post came and the guy gave me a nod when he saw me.

Went out to find a come and collect it notice.

Now i know that there is no way the guy on foot can carry very many packages , this i understand, But in other places i've lived the guy in the van has always delivered the parcels.

At the end of the day postage is being payed for it to be delivered to you not for you to have to go and collect it. Some might say well why bother trying to deliver when most people are out from 9-5 ? I say this is an post's job and what we pay postage for.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

I find an post delivery excellent,must say I have never had a problem with an post and the postmen and delivery drivers are excellent for the Dun Laoghaire/Sandycove area.

No I do not work or am I affiliated with an post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I was in the house earlier and heard some post being dropped in the door. I went over and one of the items I received was a docket to say that there had been an attempt to deliver a parcel to me and that I could collect it from the local An Post depot. The postman hadn't rang the door bell or anything, and my car is outside so its not as if it looks like nobodys home. And the docket said that the parcel could be collected any time today - so obviously the postman doesn't have it with him.

So I went to the collections office a while later, collected the package and said to the guy behind the counter that I had been at home and there was no attempt to deliver the package. He came out with the excuse that the postman must have had tried to deliver yesterday but that he had none of the dockets with him yesterday so dropped in in today instead - total nonsense because I was around yesterday too when th post was delivered.

Does An Post not even try to deliver parcels anymore, but just drop the 'attempted delivery' docket in the door??

Thats a bit of a disgrace as I pay for postage on these items when buying stuff on the web.

the joy of being on the dole eh? I know the feeling. you think that's bad I've had valuable stuff lost when it was sent by registered post, and of course according to an post it was delivered! I believe a crowd tried to set up an alternative to an post years ago but they couldn't for legal reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭UsedtobePC

Similar thing happened to me. I was in the house and saw the post being pushed through the letterbox. When I saw there was a docket I ran out of the house to chase after the postman who then told me that "the guy that has all the parcels has gone back to the post office but you can collect from there satright away".

I wasn't impressed but a few hours later the same postman came at the end of his shift and delivered my parcel. Now, that is customer service IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I had a package delivered this morning by an An Post guy in a van.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭flatpack

its getting worst and worst they dont bother to deliver package but give you attempt deliver docket and it is so much annoying, always delivery attempt docket even they didnt attempt. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

I find in my area they're good for things like this. Except they tend to deliver the post between 2-4pm! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I was chatting to someone who was doing the Christmas nixer for An Post - they said they'd just not bother bringing the package and shove a docket in the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

It used to be like that where I lived in Carlow, but a while ago (I don't know, 6 months, maybe), they have started delivering the packages much earlier in the morning in a van, so there was much more chance you'd be there. (Course, I was unemployed so I got the packages either way...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sounds like there's more of a problem with certain post men not an post itself because an post can be pretty strict with employees only thing you can do is make an offical complaint.
    Like with any job some posties are better at their job than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

I have to agree that some post men will not attempt to post stuff through my letter box. I was also at home when they "attempted" to deliver a dvd which would easily fit through the letter box but obviously not bothered to do so. At my parents house no matter how big the package is it will be delivered because the postman comes in for a chat and a cup of tea with me da every day whether he has letters for us or not!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Never had a problem. My post man rings the door-bell!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Eireann

If my car is outside, the postman opens the front door and drops the parcel in the hall. If I need to sign, he rings the bell once inside.

If I'm not there, he'll drop it round to my parents house.

Very happy with An Post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭broadsheet

I think it depends were you are, in rural areas the postman is much more like a valued member of the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Sounds like there's more of a problem with certain post men not an post itself because an post can be pretty strict with employees only thing you can do is make an offical complaint.

Last year my postman was working nights so another postman was doing the rounds, he delivered the post and with it a docket for collection, also run after him, he said that didn't have it with him but could collect on the same day from the depot.

Talked to my usual postman when he was back, explained it to him and he said that some postman do that, don't bother carrying to much stuff, he also said that while working during the night he helped the replacement postman to sort the post in my area, he said that he even mentioned to the replacement to take my parcel out as we work from home so always someone here but looks like he didn't bother.

Other than that very happy with my usual postman, he gets a bonus at xmas but looks after our parcels, register post, etc while on vacation. So nothing is sent back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

nava wrote: »
    Other than that very happy with my usual postman, he gets a bonus at xmas but looks after our parcels, register post, etc while on vacation. So nothing is sent back.

Ours too. :)
    If nobody around to take the parcel they will drop it to the relations down the road.

In rural areas people build up a great relationship with their postmen. And it's not like towns where estates have numbers, it'd be slightly more difficult. You need to know every family and all the children too as they might be getting post.
    They're a real member of the community, unlike towns where people will be rotating and swapping.

For sure, the postman gets a bonus every year, maybe 20 euro and a tin of chocolates. Getting that from most of the locals I'd say it adds up into a nice Christmas bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

Welcome to the world of the Australian Postal Service!
    They do this all the time... In both houses I have lived here, my bedroom door is literally right next to the halldoor.
    Postman rings the bell, and waits less than 0.000000000000879 milliseconds before he drops the pre-written collection card on your doormat...
    I can get up at to the door in approx. 2-3 seconds but by that stage they're back in the depot... I am actually starting to wonder if they never come to your door, rather extend some super-long Go Go Gadget robotic arm to ring your bell and drop said notice from their truck 2KMs down the street...

Really, really frustrating. I have had many a heated discussion on the phone with the APS....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I think it all depends on the postman. We had a brutal one for a long time, letters to the wrong house etc and he pulled the same trick as above, he never brought the package with him but just dropped the notice into your letter box so you had to go collect it the next day. Even at that then we may have only had one delivery a week, they seemed to stock pile the post so they won't have to deliver it as often. I know a few from the area complained to comreg about it but they're a toothless bunch.

We've had a new guy the last year or so and I have to say he's excellent and fairly friendly. I was expecting a big box set a few weeks ago when I was off sick and had arranged with my wife for her to go collect it from the sorting office as I never actually expected it to be delivered to the house. And surprise of all surprises there was a knock on the door one morning and there he was with the big box in his arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I get everything delivered to work. Seems to come faster, and I very rarely have customs issues. I figure they think the items might be used in the workplace so it is a waste of time to have a government body wasting time, money & effort collecting money only for it to be refunded by another gov body. (i.e. company reclaiming VAT)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Of three parcels delivered in the last few months, I had someone at home waiting twice and there was no attempt made to ring the bell. The delivery notes often have the attempted delivery time scratched out so you can't contest it later, and when I've complained on collection I get excuses like temporary postman and so on. I'm giving one more chance and there will be war, its a service and there are terms attached, An Post need to cop on and see that this is a widespread problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Rural area and post is fine. Parcels are regulary delivered (eBay;)) even though we have big dogs that like chasing post vans (we don't let them).

On the other hand I wouldn't trust DHL who don't bother to even find the house and just write out an attempted delivery note and throw the customer half away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Nope, not in my part of Dublin anyway.

Also, see here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Had the same problem...Postie didnt bother to ring the door bell with a package when i was at home...put in letters & docket.

I rang the sorting office (maynooth) to complain and was told that i'd have to come up and collect it...that the postman would be back at 3.30pm

off i went to pick it up...only to find that the office closed at 3 pm:mad:

another time the same postie left a package behind the bin outside the front door....another postman told me that "he usually signed for letters for people if they werent around so they wouldnt have to collect them" :eek:

While i know thats being helpful to people...its still fraud /tampering with the mail etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

olaola wrote: »
    I was chatting to someone who was doing the Christmas nixer for An Post - they said they'd just not bother bringing the package and shove a docket in the door.

Confirmed, on 3 separate occasions I waited and they have just dropped a docket without bothering to ring the door. Bloody depot is miles out too!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

I think it iffers from the towns and the country. May dad's a postman in the rural area, and he delivers parcelsm and has a van. However in the city, your normal pstman may not bring the parcels with them, as the majority of them either cycle or walk, well I say majority, mine has a bike, so can't expect him to bring the parcels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

my postie is great, if i'm not there when he passes up the road he will try again on the way back. He knows that there will always be someone in after the school run :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Never had a problem myself, but the most time I was shocked when I was in USA and ordered a digital camera from NY to LA. We went out that morning to come back in afternoon and a small box was left outside the front door. Now picture the front door in a back sort of alley way. I think the box could of been there hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Our postie is very good I must say.After ringing the bell with parcels a few times before and me getting to the door all sleepy as I work nights, he said from now on, if its a parcel he will leave it at reception in the school around the corner as I know someone who works there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

daheff wrote: »
    another time the same postie left a package behind the bin outside the front door....another postman told me that "he usually signed for letters for people if they werent around so they wouldnt have to collect them" :eek:

this has happened to me with registered letters. They are just posted through the door without obtaining a signature (so I assume they must have forged my signature on the docket)

Advertisement