Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericsson permanent Internet application

• 10-03-2009 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭

On my SE W595 the Internet globe comes on as soon I turn on the phone, suggesting that there is some application loaded up which potentially accesses the Internet. I seem to have some regular small data downloads on my bill.

How can I identify what this application is, e.g. like identifying a startup application in Windows?

I've deleted the web feeds, and set the Push email to never and set the check interval for O2 email to off.

Probably other modern SE phones work in a similar way.
    Strategies for identifying the offending application would be very welcome.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I believe it indicates that internet access is available, not that it is being actively used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Yes i'd say you have some app left minimised, maybe cabbage mobile, aft, google maps, etc? The globe should be green/blue when data is transferred, grey when you're on a call with data connection active. But the globe shouldn't be there all the time to indicate that a data connection is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Previously when using apps the globe appears when the app is open, and disappears a few seconds afterwards.

Is there any way to show the apps running, e.g. on a PC you could use taskmanager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

JDxtra wrote: »
    I believe it indicates that internet access is available, not that it is being actively used.
    nope on a sony it means there's a currently active connection

To see running apps press the key that looks like a square with an arrow sticking out of it if your phone has one. It's generally just under the right soft key

Thanks Sam. On this model this button is the bottom part of the ring around the left "yes" key. It shows no applications running, yet the globe is there. The mystery deepens.:confused:

The globe appears before the phone displays the network name, although I've put in dummy Internet settings so it isn't talking to anything at present.

• Advertisement

Lads, this is the expected behaviour of more recent SE phones. As stated above, it is showing you that web access is simply available. It used to be the other way around on older models. You may also notice an extra symbol indicating if faster web is available such as H or 3G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

JDxtra wrote: »
    Lads, this is the expected behaviour of more recent SE phones. As stated above, it is showing you that web access is simply available. It used to be the other way around on older models. You may also notice an extra symbol indicating if faster web is available such as H or 3G.

It's not the expected behaviour on the Sony Ericsson K800i, K850i, W890i or W910i, or any other recent Sony Ericsson handset I’ve used, as the globe symbol only remains visible during an active connection e.g. when browsing the Internet, or when the browser is left open but minimized. I agree that if a specific network is available, then an E, 3G or H symbol appears to indicate EDGE, 3G and HSDPA network availability, respectively.

A list and description of the icons that appear on the Sony Ericsson W595i can be found here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I think new sony ericssons might always show the globe actually. My dad's w760 seems to show it all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I think new sony ericssons might always show the globe actually. My dad's w760 seems to show it all the time

I've yet to come across a Sony Ericsson handset that had the globe symbol consistently displayed and it not been as a result of a connected application or service. Of course it is possible that some Sony Ericsson handsets now act differently, but I remain doubtful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Newer model SE show the globe all the time, I have a k660i and c902 and both of these have the globe on them all the time. The globe means there is a data connection available, when you actually connect the globe seems to get bright then dull and repeats this while data is being transferred (do not mix this up with the globe being grey)

• Advertisement

Maybe it depends on the firmware on your phone? I have seen a k850i & w910i on different networks show the globe constantly. If you are still feeling paranoid you can also check the data counters on your phone to prove nothing is being sent / recieved.

Maybe it depends on the firmware on your phone?

This seems to be the case. I've replaced the O2 firmware with a generic firmware. Now the browser and AFT, Cabbage etc are working, but there is no permanent Internet globe on display. The O2 firmware seems to have settings that talk to O2 World, this might not incur a cost but it does keep the globe in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

Its an o2 thing. Any phone that has geo tagging has it, and it comes on immediately the phone is switched on, but it shouldnt be costing anything.

Advertisement