Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

q for you ladzees

Options
  • 10-03-2009 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

i have spent some time recently traveling on intercity trains, i have seen all the seats with the wheelchair sticker used by young single females, with their bags on the seat alongside them, old and infirm people looking for a place to sit being ignored, what is the reason for this logical or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Some people are rude and inconsiderate, men and women. It's not an exclusively female phenomenon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

In fairness blokes can be as bad for this as women.As far as Im concerned its a certain age group responsible for this.Late teens/early 20s-both genders.
    It annoys the hell out of me and there have been a couple of occasions where I have interjected and asked people to get up or at least make a bit of room.Some of the responses have been interesting but by and large the people are so embarrassed they move without any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

nedtheshed wrote: »
    In fairness blokes can be as bad for this as women.As far as Im concerned its a certain age group responsible for this.Late teens/early 20s-both genders.
    It annoys the hell out of me and there have been a couple of occasions where I have interjected and asked people to get up or at least make a bit of room.Some of the responses have been interesting but by and large the people are so embarrassed they move without any problem.

While retaining your own seat?!?! :D:pac::P

Just joking. You're totally right, ned... it's definitely younger people who are the worst for this. I'm 25, I'd see a lot of people my age and younger doing it, really riles me.

It could be a case that some women think it's a man's place to give up his seat or something?! I'm not of that opinion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

shellyboo wrote: »
    While retaining your own seat?!?! :D:pac::P

Damn right.Ive got a game leg you know.:p

I never sit while using public transport unless its a long journey or the particular mode is fairly empty.This way things like this are avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

It's definitely done by both men and women alike.

One point I would make is that sometimes the trains are so jammers that you can't see these people, it's not the fault of a person in one of those seats leaving, lets say, a pregnant lady standing when they can't see her through the masses.

Take it from someone who has used the trains every day for 6 and a half years, you (well I can only speak for myself really) tend to phase out and go into your own world, distract yourself with a book or a game or your phone. It helps blank out the horribleness that is commuting daily in rush hour in Dublin.

Would I be embarrassed if someone asked me to give up my seat? No, certainly not, for those who do it then keep doing it, but don't blame the seated person as they may not have spotted a person needing a seat.

Edit: on rereading the op I missed the bit of having a bag on a seat beside them, now that's ridiculous alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Cathooo wrote: »
    It helps blank out the horribleness that is commuting daily in rush hour in Dublin.

God, I love being able to walk to work! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Sleipnir wrote: »
    God, I love being able to walk to work! :D

I ended my 6 and a half year stint a few weeks ago and now love my walk to work ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

WTF is a 'ladzee'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

shellyboo wrote: »
    Some people are rude and inconsiderate, men and women. It's not an exclusively female phenomenon.

I would add to this that the world is populated by people who will see something happen, do nothing, then bitch and moan about it afterwards.

Often times simply pointing out to people that you are on to their rude behaviour will facilitate a change beneficial for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

seriously, some people will pretend to not notice the old woman/guy on crutches/9.5 month pregnant lady with ankles the size of india

But if you point out to them that they should get up and let the person sit down, few have the balls to refuse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Xiney wrote: »
    seriously, some people will pretend to not notice the old woman/guy on crutches/9.5 month pregnant lady with ankles the size of india

But if you point out to them that they should get up and let the person sit down, few have the balls to refuse.

Believe it or not, I know of more than one person who has some kind of moral objection to giving up their seat for a pregnant woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Gauge wrote: »
    Believe it or not, I know of more than one person who has some kind of moral objection to giving up their seat for a pregnant woman.

oh let's not get started on that...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

old boy wrote: »
    i have spent some time recently traveling on intercity trains, i have seen all the seats with the wheelchair sticker used by young single females, with their bags on the seat alongside them, old and infirm people looking for a place to sit being ignored, what is the reason for this logical or not.

did you give these old & infirm people your seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Ok im stopping this here. As MAJD once said "a shot to nothing"...

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement