Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roaccutane Results?

Options
  • 10-03-2009 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi,

I've just finished a six month coures of roaccutane and I'm not too sure about the results. I've had mild acne since I was 12 (im now 22) and decided to try Roaccutane as I'd tried all the other popular anti-biotics. My dermatologist said my face should clear after 4 months as it wasn't that bad but I was prescribed for six months as I also had some acne on my shoulders. During the first 2-3 months my face improved significantly but since then my skin has been the same. I still have several small red pimples that have been there for some time.
    I've read that your skin can continue to improve after completing the prescription but considering I had only mild acne on my face I thought six months would definitely do the trick.

Has anybody had a similar experience?

Thanks,
    Barry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Barry I was on Roaccutane for a year, finishing about 4 years ago.

It was very good and really did help my skin but it was never and will never be perfect. However, I feel that there was probably an 85% improvement and for that I am delighted.

You may never have totally clear skin but you should continue to see an improvement once the tablets are finished. You can also help by looking after your skin well. Make sure to use an exfoliator as well as a really good moisturiser. I still have very dry skin, something I never had in my life before the course.

Also, have facials. You say you are having problems still on your back and shoulders...any good beautician will do 'facials' for backs and shoulders which will help.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Dante

I took it two years ago for about 6 months for a bit of acne....got rid of almost everything and havn't had any major problems since. I know somebody who had to take it 2 or 3 times over a few years to fully get rid of their acne if that helps at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I took it for 1 year around 20 years ago. It worked a treat, it basically destroys your Sebum producing gland (well 98%) which is the source of the oil that causes acne.
    It can cause some bad scarring, while I was unlucky to get. I got my scars treated in a small procedure which is quite painless in a cosmetic surgury clinic about 5 years ago. I was delighted in the results, I was out for a week with a slightly red face, so 1 week away for me.
    its great stuff though

i agree with vixen.. it'll never be perfect. i took it maybe 3 years ago. cleared up my back and face really good but now i just have a few spots. wouldn't call it acne now tho..

i think it does keep improving after 6 months, what dosage were you on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I was on Roaccutane for over 2 years, sometimes it takes a long time I'm afraid !

Ask your derm about cauterising some of them, and they also have a tool for extracting blackheads, and that can minimise the amount that actually turn into proper spots.

Other than that, just persevere with the Roacc if you're not happy with the results and it's not damaging you (keep getting the blood tests, etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Barry
    Were you on the correct doseage for your weight? I have recently completed roaccutane and like you i have acne for about 13yrs and i had tried everything.i am 55kg and i was on 20mg a day for about 4months and i noticed my skin was clearing but i was still getting acne, i change dermatologists because i moved locations and my new derm adjusted my dosage to 40mg a day after about 3weeks i noticed i huge improvement and i stayed on that dosage for another 4months, so 8months in total and i now have perfect skin, people ive recently meet even complement me on how clear my skin is!!(which i never thought id hear anyone say!) so fingers crossed it stays that way!!

Maybe have a chat with your dermatologist and see if you are on the correct dosage for you weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gamblor1975

Hi Barry,

I was on Roacc for 4 months about ten years ago! It actually worked very well but there were plenty of side effects. Dry skin, irritation of the eyes.

These were not unbearable, but it was only after finishing the meds that I heard about the other side effect of this drug which is severe depression and the drug was linked to a number of suicides.

That was a long time ago and they may have changed the drug since but its something I would certainly make yourself aware of! I cant remember if I felt depressed myself (I was a spotty teenager - how to tell the difference?)

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 barbar69

I was on 1mg per kg body weight which was 70mgs a day. As far as I know thats a high(ish) dosage so I doubt that has affected the results I've got.

Maxwell, do mean Roacc can cause scarring? I didn't know that. I hope thats not the case as my dermatologist was confident I wouln't be left with any scars, even if I didn't go on Roacc, but it looks now like I might have some light scarring in places.

Thanks for all the posts so far guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

I was on Minocin around 12 years ago, like your experience, it worked well straight away but after a while, the spots returned. They never really went away completely in the 2 years I was on it but it takes the edge off i.e. I'd have been a lot worse without it.

Washing my face regularly and drinking more water also helped, though not as much as the drugs!

Incidentally, Roaccutane was seen as the "nuclear option" back then and doctors were reluctant to prescribe it, just dermatologists, because it was so aggressive. But it must have proved itself since.

Advertisement