Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much to bring on j1?

• 10-03-2009 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone whose done a j1 before knows how much money I should be looking at bringing over this summer. I've got a good bit of money saved up so I'd probably have about 3000euro left to bring over after I've paid for accomodation. That works out at just under 4000 dollars. Is this enough to avoid working while over there? What's the price of living like? I wouldn't mind working but it might be a bit hard to find a job what with the 'recession'.

Cheers,
    Lep.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

That should be ok. I brought a similar amount. Most people do it on an awful lot less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

I went to chicago last year and brought all the money I had saved from working full time over the previous 9 months. This was about $9000 and I some how managed to spend every penny of it. I was spending money like crazy though and the friends I went with spent far far less than I did.
    I met people over the summer who were practically living off $20 per day. Its easy enough manage over there once you have your accommodation paid for and expenses. The money you have saved should be more than enough. Just be sure and assign yourself a budget as to what you will need to have for the rest of the summer. Getting a few hours working here and there is also handy as it keeps you in beer money.
    GL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭themetallifan

That should be enough to live on....to be honest, you adapt to whatever money you're making/have at the time. It may mean less going out than your working friends, but you'll still be able to live comfortably (just be economical).

Although, I wouldn't give up looking for a job. Having a job is part of the experience. I've had friends go over and be the envy of everyone, being able to sightsee and party all the time without a job, but the novelty soon wears off when all your friends are out working, while you're left to sightsee etc (and you know there's only so much of that you can do).

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭whitey21

i did it last summer with about 1/2 of what you have but still spent about how much you have with loans! But, i did work aswell, so i had that money on top of that too! Bare in mind, i was only earning about 150-200bucks every 2 weeks! You should go for a job though! Good fun and ya meet loadsa more people too!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭frankiebaby

i went 800 cash on me, and that was it, 3 nights in a hostel booked with no accomodation or job after that! my 2 mates were in the same boat! it all worked out tho, got a job just as we were finishing up drinkin the last few dollars and got apartment with first paycheck! 4000 dollars, no fear of u unless u want a fancy apartment in the middle of a city and cant do without some creature comforts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement