Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift vouchers

Options
  • 10-03-2009 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hey folks, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but I'm always open to correction.

I got a Jack & Jones voucher for Christmas (€200) and am worried about them going bust and losing the value of the voucher. Obviously, I could spend it all now (but I don't want to spend it just for the sake of it).

Is there anyway of getting cash instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishfeller

You should use it even if you don't need to buy anything at the mo - if the shop goes bust you will be right at the end of the queue of creditors to get any money. Also there is no way the shop will give you cash for it - most of them won't even give you cash change after buying something with a voucher, even when the change is less than a fiver...they insist on giving a credit note or another voucher..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 IrishBusiness

I agree OP, they will not give you the cash value and with the way shops are going these days i would get in there and get it spent. im sure you'd have no problem getting through 200 quid, and all the new spring stuff will be in! treat yourself :cool:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You have no rights in respect of trying to get cash instead, either use the voucher or if you don't hope the place doesn't go bust and if it does get to the very back of the Q where you might get 10c back :)

Given they've only last month opened a new store in Kilkenny Cioty I doubt they'll go bust just yet, but then you never know

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

why not go to the shop and buy things for people ...

bare with me i don't mean as a present

simply when you see someone about to buy something.. ask them can you do a deal .. you take what they want to buy to the counter and pay with the vouchers

then they give you the cash for it, they got what they want + receipt

everyone wins

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jim_bob, thats not a bad idea,
    the store may not like this though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Shannonsider

Would be slow to approach some random customer, as the first thing that pop's into my head is SCAM.

But I suppose hanging around and seeing the transaction through might work. once its not a manager at the till can't imagine staff being too pushy.

Nonetheless, might try it for the craic!

Advertisement