Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declaration of Alienage

Options
  • 10-03-2009 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Hypothetically,
    What would happen if an Irish citizen born here was to make a declaration of alienage to the DFA? Would he/she be deported?

Or would it not matter as an Irish born person can't rescind their citizenship?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Glenn Quagmire

The US state department used to make new US citizens do this up until a few years ago. They did not allow dual citizenship at the time. Someone would send off the form to Ireland and return their passport only for them to get a new one when they are over on holidays from the states, i.e. they never lost their Irish citizenship.

I think it would have no effect as you could simply re-assert your Irish citizenship at anytime as you were born here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Bond-007 wrote: »
    ^^ I'm pretty sure that would be the case. You would be studiously ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Enjoy the read. http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000047

Think you either have to move abroad to qualify for another country's citizenship or be always stuck here as your passport would be taken off you :):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Hypothetically,
    What would happen if an Irish citizen born here was to make a declaration of alienage to the DFA? Would he/she be deported?

I know it's hypothetical but seriously, would you really want "no citizenship"? I honestly think they would just ignore your request and pass your letter around the office for a bit of a point and laugh session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

gurramok wrote: »
    Enjoy the read. http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000047

Think you either have to move abroad to qualify for another country's citizenship or be always stuck here as your passport would be taken off you :):D
    It seems you can't do it if you are living here. Ah well. :D

Interesting discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Glenn Quagmire

Indeed it was an interesting discussion.

As I suspected you can't so it if you are living here in that you cannot make yourself stateless deliberatley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement