Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

home server box - advice needed

• 10-03-2009 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

hi guys,

I'm planning to change that old PC of mine (mini-tower with linux installed) used as a 'home server' into something much more quieter and possibly smaller. 'cos if I want to have it running almost 24/7 it must be quiet!!

I looked at already built solutions (i.e. HP home server) and also at DIY solutions (XPS shuttle ; drobo.com pretty cool but linux support is in beta only)

what I'd like to have in there is mainly
    • space for 3~4HDD (hot swappable isnt really nec.)
    • running on Linux, as much as possible!
    • perhaps space for an optical drive (DVD or BR burner)
    • possibly a VGA port
    • perhaps wifi

I'm planning to use it as
    • file server
    • printer server
    • dev server (apache/mysql/php/auto-build/bugzilla/svn etc)
    so not just a simple NAS as you can see...

I like quite a lot the design of the HP home server, but it just doesnt have a VGA port, no place for an optical drive (may be ext so) and not sure how easy it would be to install linux on it instead of WHS... any thoughts?

then, if you know so great boxes similar to the HP one, let me know!

cheers, Duff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Most of the Home Servers mentioned above (e.g. HP home server) are way over priced IMO and as far as Linux support being in "beta" I would say thats a load of crap to get you to use WHS.

Ubuntu/Debian will run on almost ANYTHING :D

Would you not just build your own to a similar spec and use Ubuntu?
    I fail to realise what the question is here, I mean a linux install is a linux install - I don't see why it would be different on one of these.

All of the following:
    * file server
    * printer server
    * dev server (apache/mysql/php/auto-build/bugzilla/svn etc)

Are catered for very well with Ubuntu :)

Good luck with it ;)

iRock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 FDuff

thanks for that iRock. yeah I've already ubuntu running on multiple machines here, inlcuding the old box I wish to replace.

the thing I'm concerned about an already built home server (like the HP), is that without any VGA port, how are you supposed to install a new OS on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

As I mentioned about I'd go for a home build but thats up to you.

Surely there is a way to connect some sort of graphics card to get a display working? No?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ive got an install running on a windows home server very straightforward got it with my action pack subscription so no >(extra) cost there. i run two media streamers off it ( a roku soundbridge and a phillips streamium.

I run tversity on it as well i just installed on a server with vga card on it works fine. the client backup works quite well as well.
    the only thing you need a server antivirus so i use clamwin

not sure about the hp thing must have some way of configuring it intially unless you remote desktop on to it after a default install to configure it.

Advertisement