Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i entitled to a report detailing what was fixed after a laptop repair?

Options
  • 10-03-2009 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I got a new mobo on my laptop recently.
    But i want a report saying what exactly was fixed.

They tell me that'll cost another 75 euro.
    Does that sound right?

The thing is they replaced the mobo but it still didn't work until some further small repair was done.

So i want to know exactly what was done if the mobo alone didn't seem to completely resolve the problem.

They just keep telling me (verbally) that it was the mobo alone that needed to be replaced.
    Or else 75 quid for a report!

I'd appreciate any advice.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I wouldn't say you are entitled to anything. It all depends on what service the company in question provides.

You get what you pay for.

Even if they did give you a report, what's to say it isn't just thrown together into a Word document?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you could ask them nicely for an itemised bill or a list of components changed

If the motherboard is dead it could be lots of different faults because it needs most of the components to work 100% before it will work. Could be blown capacitors, or blown chips, or water damage or fired BIOS , or short circuit or open circuit, maybe it didn't POST or since most laptop mother boards don't have parallel ports or PCI slots they couldn't get a POST CODE

if replacing the motherboard fixed the problem , then it was probably the motherboard at fault

where they a reputable company or a big chain store or a small outfit ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

if replacing the motherboard fixed the problem , then it was probably the motherboard at fault

where they a reputable company or a big chain store or a small outfit ?

Thanks.
    That's the thing though.
    They replaced the motherboard but when i went in to pick it up yesterday, it still wasn't charging from the mains something they say they've fixed now.
    What that something was is what i want to know.

I'll pick it up tomorrow, but they'll tell me it's just the mobo that was at fault, 200 quid please.

That's why i want to know what exactly was fixed and that i'm not getting unnecessary work done.
    But they say a report will cost me an extra 75 quid.

They're a small outfit btw.

Incidentally, i asked them before they started work on it to return my OLD motherboard to me.
    I'm not sure they have it though (they keep saying they forgot to get it).

Am i entitled to the old one back since
    1) it is mine
    and
    2) i asked them to return it prior to any work commencing on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from Laptops, i think this is more of a consumer issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

yes you are entitled to it back as it is yours and you asked for it to be returned before any work was carried out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

tech77 wrote: »
    Incidentally, i asked them before they started work on it to return my OLD motherboard to me.
    I'm not sure they have it though (they keep saying they forgot to get it).

Am i entitled to the old one back since
    1) it is mine
    and
    2) i asked them to return it prior to any work commencing on it?
    DEMAND your old motherboard back - it's your property! And don't accept the usual "oh, we binned it - sorry!" - it's bullsh*t. I have a suspicion they just repaired your old board, which is why they refuse you give you an itemised bill!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

where are this small crowd located?

Defo sounds like they are being evasive for a very good reason, that they didn't actually replace the motherboard. The old items are yours and therefore you are entitled to them back, you would be doing them a favour as then they don't have dispose of the old parts. Strange situation you have found yourself in, cowboy is a word that comes to mind when hearing that kind of carry on, a detailed receipt / report should be part of the service.

MC

OK thanks for the advice.
    I'll see what happens later today.

Advertisement