Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

I'm a newbie here, but I've been around Waterford for years. This is a great thread and it's bringing back some great memories.

Woolworths was a great store, I remember buying them cheap 'Top of The Pops' and K-Tel compilation albums there, back in the days of vinyl records.

Remember Howards music store on the Quay? Sheet music and guitar strings. Kazoos and Jews-harps!

I remember when they opened the L&N Hypermarket (the 'White Elephant' as everyone called it). There was a small record shop upstairs, where the TSB bank is today.

I remember when Noel Sinnott opened his second record store opposite the Cathedral. I think it later was Hot Tom's breadshop, with a doughnut machine in the window.

Patsy Ryan's music shop down near T&H's. I bought David Bowie and Stevie Ray Vaughan albums there in the early '80s. Gary Whelan also had a small record shop by the old cinema, where the Book Centre is these days.

Some of ye remember getting computer games in Finn's on Peter Street. I remember he had a huge selection of the new-fangled Compact Discs. There was a key-cutting store in Peter Street, too. I think he moved to Grey Friars when the Broad Street Centre opened.

I remember when Mick Daly and Frank Battye opened their Crosslane video store, in Cross Lane, at the back of the Kentucky chipper.

Cantwells TV and record shop, Soundwave hi-fi store just up the street. Stan Furlong's TV shop in Gladstone Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

When there used to be an electronics shop instead of gamestop upstairs, cant think of the name of it.

All they really sold were tellies and vcr's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 china doll

jute factory, chipboard factory, iron foundry. Swifts furniture shop, mackeys on the quay, tedcastles hut on the quay, The military barracks is now built up.The original wimpys was where dillions jewellers is. Boyces, Sloans shop. Mc graths opticians on the quay. Ma tobins cafe lol. That will do for now.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

china doll wrote: »
    jute factory, chipboard factory, iron foundry. Swifts furniture shop, mackeys on the quay, tedcastles hut on the quay, The military barracks is now built up.The original wimpys was where dillions jewellers is. Boyces, Sloans shop. Mc graths opticians on the quay. Ma tobins cafe lol. That will do for now.:D

Jasus, you must be old when you can remember Ma Tobins, what about Power's garage.

Not quite as old as you think, she was around into the 80s and was a neighbour at one time. Does this make us both old codgers then if you remember it too:p:p:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Glos Vegas
    Leach's poolhall
    Royal Bar
    Busty Griffin
    Infimery hospital
    Corner Bar
    Hearnes clothes shop
    Wrights bicycle shop
    Glancey Brothers
    Motorcycle People
    The well
    St Johns disco
    Modern Trend
    Jim Storen Barber
    The Regal Cinema
    Scanlons petrol The Quay
    Terry Butler
    Jim Felle
    Jaff-Ora orange
    Savage Symth
    Gas House Lane
    Tossing Shop Newport Square
    Mary Uptons
    GOOD MORRICAN HASH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Tossing Shop Newport Square, I used to watch them play it in the early 60s we called it the tossing school.Good one Giles.

marlin vs wrote: »
    Tossing Shop Newport Square, I used to watch them play it in the early 60s we called it the tossing school.Good one Giles.
    Indeed Sir
    You are correct it was school not shop.
    Handball in mountsion avenue.
    Poker school corner monestery st/morrisions rd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Busty Griffin

Ha! Went to school (St Pauls) with a Busty Griffin, same guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭larchielads

freebird23 wrote: »
    ye micky wing he had the black opel cadet with the knight rider lights on the car bags of chips for 20p and lovely white wine vineger. he was at the big green in larchville. pitty he was treated so bad in the end
    yep remember him alright sometimes he used to be at the top of sunrise crescent as well. anyone remember the video shop in tesco lisduggan where the taxi office is now what was it called?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

The Beer and bite Bar
    The shop on the top of Castile street
    Brown's Lane, all the houses had half & half front doors
    Setting fire to the cnoc in John's Park
    The Fannig house (scary inside)
    Walsh's bakery.gold crust,lonergans bakery (bridge street) Hot Tom's.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MunsterM

The Beer and bite Bar
    The shop on the top of Castile street
    Brown's Lane, all the houses had half & half front doors
    Setting fire to the cnoc in John's Park
    The Fannig house (scary inside)
    Walsh's bakery.gold crust,lonergans bakery (bridge street) Hot Tom's.

Lonergans bakery : we used to live in a flat above a shop in Bridge Street. The shop was run by a lady called Mrs Peters. Don't know what the name on the shop was - I was only 5 when we moved out. I remember going into the bakery for the bread and sometimes the ladies decorating cakes would give myself and my brother a little fairy cake each with our initial in icing on it. happy days :)! I remember John-Joe Loneragn used to deliver bread in a van when we moved out to Kingsmeadow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

anyone remember the video shop in tesco lisduggan where the taxi office is now what was it called?
    Yep, they had Bronco Billy - never seen that movie available on DVD!

Red Lead
    Burtons
    Mike Kenny DJ
    Cowshead

Nolanger wrote: »
    Yep, they had Bronco Billy - never seen that movie available on DVD!

Hi, it is available on dvd i think. will send ya link just in case your interested. Sorry if links aint allowed, im new on here and so not sure things.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bronco-Billy-DVD-Clint-Eastwood/dp/B00004XOE6

is that the right one?

efla wrote: »
    Ha! Went to school (St Pauls) with a Busty Griffin, same guy?
    I doubt it's the same guy,the real Busty would be in his 60's now.A loveable rouge and very witty.
    least we forget
    Harry Miller.R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭larchielads

I doubt it's the same guy,the real Busty would be in his 60's now.A loveable rouge and very witty.
    least we forget
    Harry Miller.R.I.P
    the griffins in larchville and ballybeg are related and all the males are nicknamed busty

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

stripes chip and burger bar(where book center is)
    scipio
    the ozman pub
    kervicks grocery by mendicity lane(dignity)
    bernies video store
    dulux paint shop(ISTANBUL)
    fat sams
    the chuck wagon(where awear is)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

the oznam pub wel thats deninately a blast from the past lol.i rember the ozman now u say it ,,,,,,as a young tiddler it was the only place with a snooker table that had the push coin drawer system in place at the time,a couple of computer games and the funny coloured pool tables deady :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

the chuck wagon(where awear is)

Is it possible that it was where kavanaghs had the little electrical store next to A wear,

The park shop (where alace sold Donuts fom an old biscuit box)
    The Disco in Lisduggan shopping centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

The park shop (where alace sold Donuts fom an old biscuit box)
    and lowlifes used to phlegm into the box and onto the doughnuts :eek:
    thank god I saw this happen before I ever tried one but I used to look at the open tin and long for a doughnut :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭PatrickD32

Wyleys Sweet Shop
    Axis Mundi
    Ulysses
    Resistance Records

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Mia belle

Some brilliant memories here. I worked in Sinnotts in Barronstrand Street from 1984 right up to 1995, saw some changes during that time. I remember Noel ordering in cd's and being amazed. lol. Also remember the move up to Michael street, it was best job I ever had.
    Who remembers ABC radio ? http://www.abcthehotfm.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nightrider54

Dermot Powers Karaoke in the peppermint grove 90s
    the rendezvous cafe across from the Cathedral
    Frank Sarsfield busking in Georges street with his big double bass
    The Old Guy From The Mens Hostel Who used To Busk Singing Hymns
    Outside Darrers Stores He Left Thousands Of Pounds When He Died.
    Stan Furlong Gladstone Street where a 21" TV And Video Recorder Cost £999 In 1989
    And we think we are worse of today not so vat was at 35% then.
    Do you remember the Mork from Ork shop
    (Waterford Humour) I remember standing in the dole queue in Ballybricken in 82 when I Heard
    one guy say to another how's things going out in Ballybeg he answered things are so bad the
    men are breast feeding the babies Classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nightrider54

The late Eddie Coady DJ Great Elvis Fan Worked on Suirside Radio And In the Beefy King (there's a man down the chip shop thinks he's Elvis)
    Dermot Powers Beat The Bear Karaoke Competition In The Peppermint Grove 90s

Connor Halpins Free Paper The Sure Advertiser (Still Got A Copy Its 20 years old His Joke Classifieds were Quite funny)
    Example:
    Jean, I Need To See You Tonight Somethings Come Up And I Cant Handle It By Myself Please Contact Love Sid.
    Reply, Sid Things Are Getting On Top Of Me At The Moment Give Me A Day Or Two And I'll Be On The Ball Love Jean.

Stacy And Lacey Playing In Dooley's Hotel Every Saturday InThe 80s
    Ma Tobins Cafe On The Quay It Was A Brave Man Who Would Eat There And I Knew Some Who Lived To Tell The Tale.
    Rocky Mills Elvis Tribute In Tramore Every August 16th And Hes Still Doing It At 69. www.myspace.com/rockymills3
    Gene Rohans Sally Tavern in Sallypark had some great nights there.
    Darrers Stores Where Argos Is Now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

Club L.A and Preachers were thee two clubs i used to go to when i was living down there. That must be nearly 10 years ago now.

Is K-recipe still there. Those chicken fillet burgers with bacon and chesse were to die for!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

K-Receipe is still there and those burgers can still be got. Also remember the late great Eddie Coady, he had a strange miming band called the silent mikes too. Used to live near me, was a great shock when he was killed in a car crash somewhere in South Kilkenny I think around 20 years ago. Big character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

any one know the name of the sweet shop in johns street next to penrose cystal?directly across from where twister vics is now?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

Stripes chipper, Burgerland and Harneys bakery..would walk over and get a warm blaa for my lunch everyday before school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

anplaya wrote: »
    any one know the name of the sweet shop in johns street next to penrose cystal?directly across from where twister vics is now?
    Kennedy's was the paper shop where Aaron's is now, next to that was a little shop owned by Kathleen Browne.

Advertisement