Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Was in college in Waterford back in the late 90s. Is the Roxy nightclub still there? Had some great times in there listening to The Bock. Is he still around?
    The Bock play's every thursday night in the Fountain bar (Briar Rose) Ferrybank,he's still as cracked as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Cool, glad to see he's still going strong. Id say a lot has changed since i was in college. Is Bad Bobs still in Lismore? Or Shefflins?

Of course my best memory of Waterford is being mugged by a scumbag called (Snip) on our way back to Woodlawn Grove after a night in Club LA :lol:

Mod Note: Please don't name anyone for such things, Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Cool, glad to see he's still going strong. Id say a lot has changed since i was in college. Is Bad Bobs still in Lismore? Or Shefflins?

Of course my best memory of Waterford is being mugged by a scumbag called (Snip) on our way back to Woodlawn Grove after a night in Club LA :lol:
    yeah bad bobs is still there.
    I know him lol. You would imagine adebisi would shank him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I used to DJ in sheffs every thursday night for the students. Christ, the crowds that used to be in the place. From about 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

they shud never let the golden rule been broken back then four pints for a tenner :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Me Mudder.

Godsentme wrote: »
    Me Mudder.

Oh she's still around. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

Those two old favourites "a good time" and "fun" have'nt been seen round these here parts for a long time. "Moaning" and "misery" seem have the monolopy on things at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Bog

Those two old favourites "a good time" and "fun" have'nt been seen round these here parts for a long time. "Moaning" and "misery" seem have the monolopy on things at the moment.

The ironing is delicious etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

They're still around.

• Advertisement

But only at Seany's place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 billhayes

the griffins in larchville and ballybeg are related and all the males are nicknamed busty

Hello, I am new on here. I was googling "Busty Griffin" because in the 40's and 50's my father was the drummer in the Busty Griffin Swing Band. I was trying to see if there was anything on the web about the band.

I wonder if Busty Griffin was related to the Griffins in Larchville or Ballybeg.

From vague memories Busty Griffin, who had died in the 1970's, played the accordian, and was blind in in his later years. In 1963 I met the man in Prior's Knock - now Connoly Place.

I have an old photograph of the Band from the Munster Express and would like to find out anything I can about the Band that used to Place in the Olympia Ballroom. Anyone Know anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭deiselack

Did anyone say..Harry Miller..god rest him. There also was a an elderly man called Michael used to wear a beret and walked around talking about the planets and stars..a great mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

Think Michael got knocked down and killed,harmless man got a bit excited when drunk, think he lived in a caravan in annestown or something. He was being constantly robbed by the drunks .

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Wimpys
    The Coliseum
    The Waterford glass social club with skinny what's his name the bartender...was it fathing?
    A warm bottle of Bass
    An ale shandy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I distinctly remember a cafe as a kid in what now is the extreme left hand side of AIB on the quay beside Kelly's, this was a small separate building until AIB bought it and extended into it, remember a big coffee machine belching steam as a small child, can anyone name it or am I inventing it?

The headphones for my iphone. Can't find the fcuking things anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pennyvision

Duiske wrote: »
    Now theres a blast from the past :D

The Pineapple Grove bar in the Bridge hotel was a great hangout back in the day as well.
    You mean the peppermint grove Lol!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I distinctly remember a cafe as a kid in what now is the extreme left hand side of AIB on the quay beside Kelly's, this was a small separate building until AIB bought it and extended into it, remember a big coffee machine belching steam as a small child, can anyone name it or am I inventing it?

Are you sure this is not Chapmans (Emporium/Deli + Cafe)? which was to the right of the Granville which they then extended over it and now there is and off-licence in the same premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

decies wrote: »
    Think Michael got knocked down and killed,harmless man got a bit excited when drunk, think he lived in a caravan in annestown or something. He was being constantly robbed by the drunks .

awe, he got killed walking the Bonmahon road about 6 years ago, very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

I remeber a market that used to be held in the Waterford City Rugby club building on parnell street..... Distinctively remeber around the time of the World Cup in 1994 my parents bringing me to it and getting a bust of Jack the Lad t-shirts and green army hoodies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

chelloveks wrote: »
    The Waterford glass social club with skinny what's his name the bartender...was it fathing?

fanning. his uncle was the real skinny fanning
    a waterford legend, the real skinny fanning was on a telly years ago could have been the late late about how he discoverd a cure for baldness... he got a cow to lick his head and the hair grew back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

No its not Chapmans - wellboy is spot on location-wise iirc. I'd forgotten all about it until now. My memory of it is vague but I think it had bright colours and think you could get ice-creams there.
    Jambo wrote: »
    Are you sure this is not Chapmans (Emporium/Deli + Cafe)? which was to the right of the Granville which they then extended over it and now there is and off-licence in the same premises.
    wellboytoo wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

bullpost wrote: »
    No its not Chapmans - wellboy is spot on location-wise iirc. I'd forgotten all about it until now. My memory of it is vague but I think it had bright colours and think you could get ice-creams there.

You have me intrigued now – I can remember PMPA there at the other side of Kelly’s , but I just can remember the bank extending or their even being a building between the bank and Kelly’s. I do remember the doing some minor alterations to the facade of the building / putting in a new long window right next to Kelly’s but that’s about it !!.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this!! I’m off the check for old pic’s online

Edit : Planning Search shows up an alteration around 1977 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

My job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

My job.

Any luck with anything else Mitch? It's seriously hard to even get an interview these days....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 conaire

Was It Mackeys there up to the late 1970s

• Registered Users Posts: 14 conaire

Im wrong Mackeys was to the left of kellys ,there was another eatery alongside AIB ,Cannot recall name.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Mackey's was where Toni and Guy is now on the Quay next to Carolines Beauty Salon.

Also Johnny Hearne's Hardware on the Quay on the other side of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 junglejim1

I remember Knockboy Village before the old cottages got demolished.

Advertisement