Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

its a pity such an amount of the old buildings and especially old pubs got torn to the ground or rebuilt into modern buildings during the pub... I often think there isn't enough pubs like jordans around anymore, old school with carpet and wallpaper.... character like...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I distinctly remember a cafe as a kid in what now is the extreme left hand side of AIB on the quay beside Kelly's, this was a small separate building until AIB bought it and extended into it, remember a big coffee machine belching steam as a small child, can anyone name it or am I inventing it?
    Kavanagh's pub? But it would have been on the left of Kellys rather than beside the AIB.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doctordon

The Car Garage, at the Back of the Railway Square was Scanlons. The Kilbarry Bogs, which stretched as far as the Black Rock, c/w Pill Box, on the Tramore Road, was set alight by us, maybe 2 or three times every summer. We were nasty little bastards! Please note: McDonalds hadn't even set foot in Ireland at that stage. :eek:
    wellbutty wrote: »
    Great topic this!

Well said

Remember the city bypass was to go up Crescent Drive green in Hillview?!

Also:
    The Chipboard Factory
    The tiny dirty sweet shop across from Farmleigh (now Londis)
    Davy Macs (where Masons is)
    The carpark where half the Tower Hotel now stands
    The car garage at the back of Railway Square
    Hartes Petrol Station at the junction of Tramore and Cork Roads
    The "undrainable" Kilbarry Bogs (McDonalds, Superquinn, Outer Ring Road, PC World, RSC, Kingfisher, Lidl!!!)
    The Bowling Alley (where PC World is)
    Articulated trucks scraping shop fronts in Michael Street to pass each other

anplaya wrote: »
    remember those houses that used to be opposite the train station that they knocked down when making the new road?werent they crooked or something?
    Yes there was a "crooked" house - the last house before the bridge over the railway (right hand side, heading towards the city). Check out http://www.jackoneill.weebly.com

ec18 wrote: »
    Egans
    The old Stand

When I was about 14 (eons ago) as a summer job, I worked in the "Old Stand" quite happily, until one day, the dreaded sergeant Hurley (remember him (?) a legendary garda pcrik arrived and told me to get out. I have never met a Waterford man who had a good word to say about that cnut!

• Advertisement

tonc76 wrote: »
    Stripes chipper in red square
    Bobby McGee's
    ABC Radio in Arundel Square
    Winston's where Ruby's is now
    Fat Sam's where Muldoon's is now
    The Trap where Muldoon's is now
    Davy Mac's then Trumps where Mason's is now
    KK Discount Store where Kavanaghs Electrical on Michael St is now
    Chuck Wagon chipper on Michael St
    Morris's on Manor St before the houses were built
    What about Ned Elliots Chipper and the old Grey Chip Van he used to drive to the outskirts. Amazing Cod 'n' Chips from an old van - wrapped in the Munster Express or News & Star! Jaysus, am I that old? :D

doctordon wrote: »
    What about Ned Elliots Chipper and the old Grey Chip Van he used to drive to the outskirts. Amazing Cod 'n' Chips from an old van - wrapped in the Munster Express or News & Star! Jaysus, am I that old? :D
    OR........The French Fryer - opposite St. Johns Church - The guy cooked awesome burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

ec18 wrote: »
    Egans
    The old Stand

When I was about 14 (eons ago) as a summer job, I worked in the "Old Stand" quite happily, until one day, the dreaded sergeant Hurley (remember him (?) a legendary garda pcrik arrived and told me to get out. I have never met a Waterford man who had a good word to say about that cnut!
    He's still around i see him a few times a week, he's actually very nice man....I'm from Waterford by the way

old gregg wrote: »
    following on from Martin Hunt and Waterford characters, here's one that only folks of a certain vintage will remember .....
    STAB THE RASHER

:p
    Stab the Rasher was a wonderful character. He always seemed agressive, but was truly a gentleman, albeit scruffy. I remember as an apprentice with, what was then C.I.E., seeing him lying on the storage heater, barefoot, underneath the stairs in the station building. At the far end of the storage heater, was a pair of steaming socks. Some idiot gave him a C.I.E. drivers cap one time and, I remember, tourists would ask the question "Is he the Station Master":rolleyes:! A true Waterford character.

deisemum wrote: »
    He also remembers The Johnies from John's Park.

The Cove Centre used to be a petrol station and when my hubby was a teenager he had a part-time job there and he was held up at gun point by a robber. He still occasionally sees that man around the place.
    Are you forgetting The Cork Road Mob (CRMR), The Lizzies (Lisduggan), or The Townies (Inner City)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Teleport computer shop. Finns computer game shop as well :)
    Burgerland
    Fat Sams
    The Reg!
    Preachers and the Pulpit
    Snages
    Breens
    Beefy King
    Madigans offy. Served anyone regardless of age :pac:

List goes on really. How it has changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Large ships lining the docks. :(

KingLoser wrote: »
    B&B Cycles, beside the chipper on Ballybricken
    Advance Tyres and a deadly secondhand shop on Wellington St
    The Pound shop on red square, where I think Dr. Herb is now
    Danny's shop on Barrack Street
    Ned Kelly's where the Junction is now
    There was a bakery next door to Ned Kellys, where the betting shop is now
    Wrights cycles on Henrietta St.

Loads more, can't think.
    My very first summer job was in Wrights in Henrietta Street, under the then owner George Wright. I was 12. He was on crutches at the time, which I assume made him cantankerous. Every evening at closing time, he would sit in the middle of the workshop, at the back of the showroom and watch me sweep the MUD floor (I kid you not, the floor was clay!). Soooo I would sweep everything up into a pile. He would then order me to pick out the nuts & bolts for future use. A very frugal man. His sister (a very nice lady) was Henrietta Wright. That's right - same name as the street!

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Burgerland

LOL
    Owned by Eamon Reid (a true gentleman) who ACCIDENTALLY ran me over with his car when I was about 10 (My fault entirely!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I remember a shop selling exhausts at the top of Summerhill / start of Military Road .

Thats a few years ago now

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wex_lad

old gregg wrote: »
    following on from Martin Hunt and Waterford characters, here's one that only folks of a certain vintage will remember .....
    STAB THE RASHER

:p
    Stab the Rasher was a wonderful character. He always seemed agressive, but was truly a gentleman, albeit scruffy. I remember as an apprentice with, what was then C.I.E., seeing him lying on the storage heater, barefoot, underneath the stairs in the station building. At the far end of the storage heater, was a pair of steaming socks. Some idiot gave him a C.I.E. drivers cap one time and, I remember, tourists would ask the question "Is he the Station Master":rolleyes:! A true Waterford character.

Are you kidding me? That man is an absolute scumbag of the highest order. Years ago he was one of the most feared men in town, hard when he wanted to be but a sneak, a coward and a rat most of the time. Even today he's an aggressive horrible man and anyone on keanes rd, Marion park and hillview will tell you exactly what this thug is like. You must be some beauty to think this scumbag is a gentleman.

wex_lad wrote: »
    Are you kidding me? That man is an absolute scumbag of the highest order. Years ago he was one of the most feared men in town, hard when he wanted to be but a sneak, a coward and a rat most of the time. Even today he's an aggressive horrible man and anyone on keanes rd, Marion park and hillview will tell you exactly what this thug is like. You must be some beauty to think this scumbag is a gentleman.
    Oh, I'm a beauty allright.;)
    I was an apprentice 40 years ago and haven't lived in Waterford for over 35 years. My memories of the man were that he was harmless, although not the "full schilling". He used to frighten people who didn't know him right enough, but the guy was deranged. It was rumored that he had been "shell shocked" during the 2nd. world war. I'm very surprised to hear that he is still with us - but I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps, somebody has inherited the name. The guy we knew would be at least 80 now!:confused:

jayboi wrote: »
    He's still around i see him a few times a week, he's actually very nice man....I'm from Waterford by the way
    I'm sure that out of uniform - anybody can be a nice man. When he was active - as a Garda Sergant - he was dreaded!:eek:

christy02 wrote: »
    Burgerland
    Fat Sams
    The Reg!
    Preachers and the Pulpit
    Snages
    Breens
    Beefy King

As far as I remember (and I maybe wrong), Burgerland arrived in Waterford before McDonalds. It was owned by Eamon Reid from the Cork Road, who, before that owned Wimpys. He went on to own Egans and then built the Hotel at the back of the Cathederal.

Am I the only one who remembers Hearns on the Quay? It is now the dining room of the Granville Hotel and Georges Court. I remember as a kid, watching the magical "Invoice Transport System" overhead, and being absatively gob-smacked. Each counter was connected, by steel wire, to a central "pulpit", in which a lady sat. When you bought something in Hearns, the clerk would write an invoice for the purchase and put it into a cup, along with your money (£sd). The cup was then attached to the steel cable and sent flying to the pulpit, where the lady would check it, write a receipt and count out your change. This was then sent back to the counter via the steel wire. I remember sitting on the floor of Hearns, eyes to heaven, watching this magic. As far as I know, the system is still used in the Bad Ass Cafe, in Temple Bar in Dublin, where the waitress sends your order, from your table directly to the kitchen.:Dbadass.htm

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wex_lad

Oh, I'm a beauty allright.;)
    I was an apprentice 40 years ago and haven't lived in Waterford for over 35 years. My memories of the man were that he was harmless, although not the "full schilling". He used to frighten people who didn't know him right enough, but the guy was deranged. It was rumored that he had been "shell shocked" during the 2nd. world war. I'm very surprised to hear that he is still with us - but I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps, somebody has inherited the name. The guy we knew would be at least 80 now!:confused:

Nope there's only 1 stab the rasher in this town, he's late 70s now yeah so it's definitely the same fella. Barred out of every pub in Waterford and he's even barred from some of the chippers in town aswell. How those dogs he has are still alive I'll never know. He was certainly not harmless back years ago, he was a henchman for a well known money lender in town (older people here will know who I'm referring to) and he wasnt and still isn't a very pleasant man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Yeah thats "Stab" allright. I remember working in the Mansion House about 15 years ago and he used to drink in there. Tommmy "The Bull" Hennessy used to give him some going in. I asked Tommy him "Stab" got the name. He said they used to hang stab by the legs down Denny's meat factory shute and he would rob the hams with his nose.:D.
    "Stab" has a pitbull dog I see him walking in Hillview a lot.
    I'm sure people of an older generation could tell a story or two about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Yeah thats "Stab" allright. I remember working in the Mansion House about 15 years ago and he used to drink in there. Tommmy "The Bull" Hennessy used to give him some going in. I asked Tommy him "Stab" got the name. He said they used to hang stab by the legs down Denny's meat factory shute and he would rob the hams with his nose.:D.

rasher cashin still drinks in O'Driscolls and I seen him drinking in the old crystal city bar when it was most recently open

Nope there's only 1 stab the rasher in this town, he's late 70s now yeah so it's definitely the same fella. Barred out of every pub in Waterford and he's even barred from some of the chippers in town aswell. How those dogs he has are still alive I'll never know. He was certainly not harmless back years ago, he was a henchman for a well known money lender in town (older people here will know who I'm referring to) and he wasnt and still isn't a very pleasant man.
    OK. As I said, I knew him 40 years ago (not to speak to - you understand). The guy, at that time was barred out of every pub in town, because he was deranged, as was Billy Butts and poor old Forty Coats. There was also a poor guy we used to call The Professor (I think). An intelligent man, but down & out. He would ask me, when I worked in The Stand - "spell hippopotumus" (I never could, being 14 at the time) and tell me to "stay away from the demon drink". I wasn't allowed to serve him, and he always left with good nature.

To get back to Stab, are you sure he is the same guy? I have never known him to have dogs. The guy I remember couldn't look after himself - let alone a dog. He lived on the streets (slept in the containers on the quays) and scraped for an existence. If he was employed by a money lender - I suspect it was Ha**y The Ho*Se? Am I right. As I've said, I haven't lived in Waterford for 35 years. Thanks for the update!

The guy I knew, used to scream at seagulls for Chrissake! Must have got his sanity back.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

I remember a day trip to the Quays to cash in the books of Green Shield Stamps
    bed linen and towels, a years supply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Those cottages in the cul-de-sac across from St Declans, demolished in the 1980s? Would love to see an old photo?

christy02 wrote: »
    Burgerland
    Fat Sams
    The Reg!
    Preachers and the Pulpit
    Snages
    Breens
    Beefy King

OMG! I remember Madigans when it was a bar and the offy was an after thought. My Dad used to take us in there every Sunday after 11.00 o'clock mass at St. Johns. He would buy each of us a bottle of Kielys Lemonade (with a straw) and a pack 'a' Tayto. He would have a couple of Large Bottles (Guinness) and discuss what was happening in Ireland with his mates. He often gave us a sip of Guinness from his glass. This was a rare treat for a kid, because it was a mans drink (it had a head on it). The first thing I drink whenever I arrive back in Ireland is a Large bottle - bliss. :)

• Advertisement

KK4SAM wrote: »
    I remember a day trip to the Quays to cash in the books of Green Shield Stamps
    bed linen and towels, a years supply.
    God Bless Green Shield Stamps and the L&N!!

Advertisement