Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doctordon

FishBowel wrote: »
    Those cottages in the cul-de-sac across from St Declans, demolished in the 1980s? Would love to see an old photo?
    Me too! Anybody? Also the Garda Station at At Poleberry Bridge. Reason? I brought a fox carcass there in the late 60's, early 70's (in a Darrers bag, in the front basket of my mothers bike) to collect the 10/- (ten Shillings) bounty. I found the carcass at the Glass factory on the Cork Road, which was just being built at the time. The land that the Glass Factory stands on was sold by Mr. Whittle, who had a farm on the corner of Blakes Lane and Hennessys Road. Anybody remember his huge white dog? I eventually got a "Postal Order" (anybody remember those? Are they still legal tender?) and had a ball on my 10 Bob.

BTW, the land adjoining the Glass factory was the "Manor", owned by a lady known as Ma Crosbie. She was HUGE (we were kids) and we were all terrified of her. I believe the "Manor House" is still there.

Adjoining the Manor were the "Plots". I studied for my Inter there in the summer and helped my Dad with the weeding. Halcyon days.

Anybody ever use the "Magic Rope trick" (on the main Cork Road, contact me Jesse, Mirda, Jucky, Mo, Gieky, Val, Harry), or the "Fighting Dummy Trick"? We were chased across the Black Pipe and the Mucks one night, by a driver, who I am convinced, if he caught us, would have been done for murder! A very angry man! :mad:

magick wrote: »
    cows and sheep on the quay being loaded into the ships, seems like it was back in the 1800s! :eek:
    Remember Mad Frankie (I think that was his name) - used to twist the bullocks tail if it refused to go up the ramp. Used to carry a length of black PVC pipe and smelled of cow ****e constantly!

meldrew wrote: »
    The fanning Institute where government buildings is now
    Timber toes where Redmond Bridge is now
    The Tramore train
    The gaol where the guards barracks is now
    Goldcrust bakery
    Leahy's cake shop on mayors walk
    Henry Dennys where the Hyper is now
    The Jute factory
    Clover meats
    The national board and paper mills
    Check out this site for Timbertoes and The Waterford/Tramore railway:
    jackoneill.weebly.com

doctordon wrote: »
    Check out this site for Timbertoes and The Waterford/Tramore railway:
    jackoneill.weebly.com
    Oooops! http://www.jackoneill.weebly.com

• Advertisement

Revvy wrote: »
    Chipper opposite St Johns Church ..... maybe the Golden Fryer or something
    Cassidy,s clothes shop, where Dunnes ladies section is now
    No inner ring road (through the bogs and over the black pipe to get home)
    Paint shop where instanbul kebab house is
    Alice and Philomena in the shop at the park
    Buying salt petre in george whites, mixing it with sugar (I think) and making smoke bombs. Sorry Alice and Philomena.

Found this earlier thread too
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055137476
    YES!!!! It was called the French Fryer - Awesome burgers!

Through the Bogs - over the Black Pipe - Across the Mucks. You're obviously a Johnnie. I'm a Cork Road Mob guy. We used to use the Black Pipe to get to see a Blues match at kilcohan Park.
    Johnnie O'Neill, Alfie Hale, Jackie Morley, Johnnie Mathews etc. etc.

BTW, I used to take my girl friend (from John's Park), in the summer, to the Mucks - into the wheat field. We would lie on the ground, in the wheat, and I would shout - "Get da fcuk off my land!". There were soooo many heads appeared above the tops of the wheat - it was hilarious. You walk through a wheat field in Summer - Gawd knows what you will find or not!

shapez wrote: »
    I was told today that St. Paul's Secondary School on Paddy Brownes Rd. was a Pig Mart!! :D
    Close - but it was on the opposite side of the road to St. Pauls.

gscully wrote: »
    KingLoser wrote: »
    The cake shop was Leahy's I think. Very fond memories. :D

Me too...and of the Green Bank Confectionery on Bridge St.
    What about Greers? Is that still going? I used to love the Chester bread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I remember the pig mart, I used to walk past it every day on my way home from school, I must have been only 6 or 7 at the time.

It was on Belvedere Grove just down from the chipboard factory,so it would be right at the back of st pauls school grounds.

The smell was unreal :D

bit late!

Burtons
    The Waterford Tramore railway
    WElshs on the manor (the post office)
    Got my first suit in Burtons - 3 Piece, brown pin stripe with flared turn-ups - 40 quid on the never never. My Dad had to go guarantor.
    Waterford & Tramore Railway - http://www.jackoneill.weebly.com

• Advertisement

yea,
    flowmotion was the big one.
    anyone remember the portlairge dredger down by scotch quay? (before the new adelphi quay was built)
    or when bell lines were working over in ferrybank?
    i could go on all day!
    Yup! I remember the Portlairge - Steam driven. Anybody remember thd Germeran (HaHa) concrete ship, moored at Bilberry? I believe they sank it near SmartPly.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Don't remember but I do remember the bakery it was Harney's, it had lovely mustard tiles on the wall outside like the kind you see in Tipperary town now!
    Awesome Blaas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Awesome Blaas!

Walsh's bakery on BallyBricken used to have fantatsic blaas as well..

I remember a shop where the Marian is now. Used to be owned by a woman called Nancy. Very nice lady.

Glos Vegas
    Leach's poolhall
    Royal Bar
    Busty Griffin
    Infimery hospital
    Corner Bar
    Hearnes clothes shop
    Wrights bicycle shop
    Glancey Brothers
    Motorcycle People
    The well
    St Johns disco
    Modern Trend
    Jim Storen Barber
    The Regal Cinema
    Scanlons petrol The Quay
    Terry Butler
    Jim Felle
    Jaff-Ora orange
    Savage Symth
    Gas House Lane
    Tossing Shop Newport Square
    Mary Uptons
    GOOD MORRICAN HASH
    What about the "Hole In The Wall? Next door to the Royal Bar (at the back of the Tower Hotel) famous for Crubins!

The Beer and bite Bar
    The shop on the top of Castile street
    Brown's Lane, all the houses had half & half front doors
    Setting fire to the cnoc in John's Park
    The Fannig house (scary inside)
    Walsh's bakery.gold crust,lonergans bakery (bridge street) Hot Tom's.
    Jaysus! The Beer & Bite, Arundal Lane. Me and me Lack got barred when I became too amorous! HaHa! Thank you for the memory!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Also remember Knockhouse well. We used to go out there regularly for the watercrest.

I doubt it's the same guy,the real Busty would be in his 60's now.A loveable rouge and very witty.
    least we forget
    Harry Miller.R.I.P
    Harry Is dead? Sorry to hear that!
    I was in Mount Sion with him, in the same class, Room 17, primary.
    I remember his mother came knocking on the door of our classroom one day, and brother Sheridan (Chips, Chops - Beeeans!!!), when he answered the door, saw who it was, stuck his foot under the door, to stop the inevitable attack (he had "punished" Harry for some minor infringement) but failed to hold the door closed, apart from a wee gap!
    As pupils in this particular class, we were amazed (and gratified) to see the heel of a Stiletto Shoe strike the bastard on the top of his head. Unheard of in Mount Sion - We cheered!!
    Harry (R.I.P.) came from Barrack Street. The poor man had a very sad life!
    Any of you guys remember the bully, Bro. Sheridan? Chips, Chops, Beeeeeans? Fcukin' terrorist.
    How can you teach kids, when they are terrified of you? I, personally, learned Fcuk All from that pcrik!
    R.I.P. Harry.

Revvy wrote: »
    Here's one for Kakak1 and the other auld fellas
    The plots at the top of Hennesey's Road ...(The Ashe road end)
    Where the green is now used to be a farm if I remember rightly.
    Christ! My Dad had a plot there! They destroyed the plots and built maybe 8 houses! Bastards!

jay.i.am wrote: »
    mayfair sweet shop-patrick st-apple drops and bon bons aplenty before the flicks.
    emerald isle chip shop-patrick st-nice sausage rolls
    mc cabes barbers also patrick st
    johnny matthews sports shop where spookes is now.
    burtons now a-wear,cassidys now dunnes-michael st.
    and ill add the cycling track in the park as i was down thay way today.
    i think it was called gough track but i could be wrong.surely a few bob spent to upgrade and maintain it woud have been money well spent.
    When I was a kid, my Dad would literally drag me to McCabes! The guy was very heavy on tha' aul head shaver thingimajig! I hated the place. Sitting there trying to read the Beano, the Victor, the Dandy or Sparky and dreading the word "NEXT!" - nightmares are made of this!:eek:

next wrote: »
    St Josephs youth club it was on the Yellow Rd. maybe I have the name wrong
    No! You got it right. I was a member. Through the front door and down the stairs.

• Advertisement

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Walsh's bakery on BallyBricken used to have fantatsic blaas as well..

I remember a shop where the Marian is now. Used to be owned by a woman called Nancy. Very nice lady.
    Christ! Yes! Walsh's - opposite the Garda Station. Great Blaas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Doctordon i see you havent found the mutli quote button yet :D

S28382 wrote: »
    Doctordon i see you havent found the mutli quote button yet :D
    No I haven't - what is that? I'm a newbie - just arrived.

What is the multi quote button?

No I haven't - what is that? I'm a newbie - just arrived.

What is the multi quote button?
    Your comment came across as a criticism. I have no idea about multi whatever. If i need to know about that - please enlighten me. Many thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Your comment came across as a criticism. I have no idea about multi whatever. If i need to know about that - please enlighten me. Many thanks.:)

He's just talking about the button in the bottom left of each post thats a sheet with a + symbol. It allows you select multiple posts to quote instead of just 1.
    You pick all you want then press quote on the final post you want and theyll all be seperately quoted in your reply :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

No not a criticism at all, as just said its the button on the bottom right its a handy thing that you can multi quote with

He's just talking about the button in the bottom left of each post thats a sheet with a + symbol. It allows you select multiple posts to quote instead of just 1.
    You pick all you want then press quote on the final post you want and theyll all be seperately quoted in your reply :)
    Thank you. As I've said - I'm a newbie. Much appreciated!

S28382 wrote: »
    No not a criticism at all, as just said its the button on the bottom right its a handy thing that you can multi quote with
    Thank you. As I've said - I'm a newbie. Much appreciated!

OK ppl. I would ask that you forgive me if I tend to get carried away by this forum. I haven't lived in Waterford for nigh on 35 years!
    This thread has brought back so many memories - some good, some bad. I thank you all for that. Please bear with me, while I "settle in". Ajolopies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

OK ppl. I would ask that you forgive me if I tend to get carried away by this forum. I haven't lived in Waterford for nigh on 35 years!
    This thread has brought back so many memories - some good, some bad. I thank you all for that. Please bear with me, while I "settle in". Ajolopies!

Dont worry about it. And dig away through old threads. Never know what youd find buried in those!
    Plus if you use Facebook, one of the posters here looks after this page
    Old Places in Waterford

Pics of it from all different eras :)

Advertisement