Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doctordon

He's just talking about the button in the bottom left of each post thats a sheet with a + symbol. It allows you select multiple posts to quote instead of just 1.
    You pick all you want then press quote on the final post you want and theyll all be seperately quoted in your reply :)
    Many thanks! I had no idea - thank you!

Dont worry about it. And dig away through old threads. Never know what youd find buried in those!
    Plus if you use Facebook, one of the posters here looks after this page
    Old Places in Waterford

Pics of it from all different eras :)
    WoW! Great Pics. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wex_lad

doctordon wrote: »
    OK. As I said, I knew him 40 years ago (not to speak to - you understand). The guy, at that time was barred out of every pub in town, because he was deranged, as was Billy Butts and poor old Forty Coats. There was also a poor guy we used to call The Professor (I think). An intelligent man, but down & out. He would ask me, when I worked in The Stand - "spell hippopotumus" (I never could, being 14 at the time) and tell me to "stay away from the demon drink". I wasn't allowed to serve him, and he always left with good nature.

To get back to Stab, are you sure he is the same guy? I have never known him to have dogs. The guy I remember couldn't look after himself - let alone a dog. He lived on the streets (slept in the containers on the quays) and scraped for an existence. If he was employed by a money lender - I suspect it was Ha**y The Ho*Se? Am I right. As I've said, I haven't lived in Waterford for 35 years. Thanks for the update!

Jaysus I remeber Forty Coats now that you mention him, an image just flashed into my head when I saw the name! Yeah I'm fairly sure there's only one Stab in Waterford, I'm not 100% though so I'm open to correction. I'd imagine the only reason he left with good nature was down to the fact you were 14 at the time. I've seen him go bald headed at a fair few people in the town over the years for not serving him.

There were a right few characters around the town years back, and I was only discussing something with a friend last week - how come nobody has a nickname these days? Years ago everyone had a nickname of some description but very few have one these days. I wonder why because all the nicknames on people years ago were gas!

I feel guilty - having posted so much and probably annoying ppl.

I have to ask though.........

Does anybody remember the machine at the OLD Plunkett Railway Station where you could stamp your name on a piece aluminum? Price - 1d (one old penny).

wex_lad wrote: »
    Jaysus I remeber Forty Coats now that you mention him, an image just flashed into my head when I saw the name! Yeah I'm fairly sure there's only one Stab in Waterford, I'm not 100% though so I'm open to correction. I'd imagine the only reason he left with good nature was down to the fact you were 14 at the time. I've seen him go bald headed at a fair few people in the town over the years for not serving him.

There were a right few characters around the town years back, and I was only discussing something with a friend last week - how come nobody has a nickname these days? Years ago everyone had a nickname of some description but very few have one these days. I wonder why because all the nicknames on people years ago were gas!
    Forty Coats became so famous in Waterford that they painted a mural of him on the corner of Manor Street and Bunkers Hill when he passed away. He was such a gentleman - kind hearted and unselfish. My memories of him are feeding the pigeons at the Clock Tower. He never had money - BUT........always had corn for his pigeons. A generous man.
    As a kid, I have to admit - I was scared of him. As I grew up though, I began to realize that he was a very kind man and perhaps a sad man. (I think everybody would love to know his story - what drove him to the streets)
    He got his name from the Wanderly Wagon character who wore so many coats - hence, forty coats.
    Our Forty Coats wore so many coats to ward off the cold - very sad.

• Advertisement

Forty Coats became so famous in Waterford that they painted a mural of him on the corner of Manor Street and Bunkers Hill when he passed away. He was such a gentleman - kind hearted and unselfish. My memories of him are feeding the pigeons at the Clock Tower. He never had money - BUT........always had corn for his pigeons. A generous man.
    As a kid, I have to admit - I was scared of him. As I grew up though, I began to realize that he was a very kind man and perhaps a sad man. (I think everybody would love to know his story - what drove him to the streets)
    He got his name from the Wanderly Wagon character who wore so many coats - hence, forty coats.
    Our Forty Coats wore so many coats to ward off the cold - very sad.
    I wish I'd had the guts to speak to him - to find out how he could've been helped. Guilt.

Dont worry about it. And dig away through old threads. Never know what youd find buried in those!
    Plus if you use Facebook, one of the posters here looks after this page
    Old Places in Waterford

Pics of it from all different eras :)
    Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Rory Gallagher playing in the Regina cinema May 1972 been a fan ever since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

The smiths playing Supermacs in 1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Anyone remember the dunlop factory where city square is and anyone know if there are any photos in existance of it and the workers?

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Anyone remember the dunlop factory where city square is and anyone know if there are any photos in existance of it and the workers?
    I found this. It is from the Dunlop Factory in Cork. There is a nice collection of photos here (including Waterford) but I haven't had the time to through them all. Good luck!

I found this. It is from the Dunlop Factory in Cork. There is a nice collection of photos here (including Waterford) but I haven't had the time to through them all. Good luck!
    Ooooops! http://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/6222097495/in/set-72157626766436507/

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

i used to remember when waterford had nice tap water! it's along time ago though:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Oh wow, you'd be in bit after a few of them:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/6285806012/in/set-72157626766436507/

First time I went to Downes with my father he got me a glass of No. 9! Lovely stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

Algeys Barbers.

Sounds fun...........in george,s court years ago, where we used to buy the 30p music pin badges, motorcycle people on the quay. The old bus station.

The music store in shaws.

Aylwards bar, arundel square.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LeftFull

Eddie Batt.

The Regina, The Regal, The Savoy and the Col. Four cinema's when the town was a lot smaller also double decker buses and last but first in my memory all those beautiful girls that were around town in the "70s". Take a bow all you "70s" girls you were all beautiful.

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    The Regina, The Regal, The Savoy and the Col. Four cinema's when the town was a lot smaller also double decker buses and last but first in my memory all those beautiful girls that were around town in the "70s". Take a bow all you "70s" girls you were all beautiful.
    D'ya remember the Fire Escape at the back of the Regal? As kids, we would pool the money we had and send a "delegate" to the "flicks"! As soon as the film started - and everybody, including staff, were engrossed - he would sneak out of his seat and crawl (SAS Style) to the fire escape door. He would then, under cover of heavy curtains (so as not to let in any light) open the fire escape door. Of course, many of the patrons copped us crawling into the cinema, but never said a word - Bless 'em! The staff never saw anything - they all sat at the back, in the smoochers row! Sometimes, I was that soldier. Happy Days! :)

Those aren't Waterford bands?

I remember Neuro, Village, Pool, Airforce, and a few Ferrybank punk bands.

• Advertisement

FishBowel wrote: »

I don't mean Waterford music. I mean music from an era. You are clearly a lot younger than I am - fair play to ya boy!

What about Jed And The Southern Express - and their rendition of "He was only a Lavender Cowboy".

Betcha don't remember tha'.

Waterford punk - Gimme a Break! HaHaHa!

Waterford punk - Gimme a Break! HaHaHa!
    There was a good Waterford punk scene back in the 1980s. Would rather listen to this than that MOR rubbish you bought from Plain Jane Sinnott!

I think that you're a lot younger than the majority of the people who frequent this thread. I'm a newbie and I feel sure that I am welcome - as I'm sure you are.

I would suggest, however, that if you want to learn - you learn to listen!

The music I posted, was not posted for your benefit. It was posted for people of my generation. I'm sorry if that offends.

I suggest, however, that you show some respect towards a lady that you could learn a lot from. You could also learn that beauty is not physical - it is purely psychological. I understand that the concept may be a little out of your reach at the moment, but I feel sure that with maturity, you'll get there.

I don't knock Punk or any other Genre of music. May we please enjoy our Genre - our era? Many thanks.

FishBowel wrote: »

Don't make me post more!:D

I agree - Punk was excellent! I am convinced that Sid Vicious will be canonized, and the queen will shake hands with Martin McGuinness! Oooooops!

D'ya remember the Fire Escape at the back of the Regal? As kids, we would pool the money we had and send a "delegate" to the "flicks"! As soon as the film started - and everybody, including staff, were engrossed - he would sneak out of his seat and crawl (SAS Style) to the fire escape door. He would then, under cover of heavy curtains (so as not to let in any light) open the fire escape door. Of course, many of the patrons copped us crawling into the cinema, but never said a word - Bless 'em! The staff never saw anything - they all sat at the back, in the smoochers row! Sometimes, I was that soldier. Happy Days! :)

You just gave me a great laugh there yes I remember it well wasn't as lucky as you though I got a kick in the arse for trying that.

http://youtu.be/vFMbSa1MD9c Ajolopies FishBowel - I find it difficult to post good music
    http://youtu.be/njG7p6CSbCU NOT Waterford Music - A Working Class Genius!
    http://youtu.be/TyWpb1V0dRo In the words of Bowie - A voice like sand and glue.
    http://youtu.be/8xvkvFviIj8 OMG! Luke Kelly - What a loss. I worked in the Baggot Inn. He would come in with The Irish Times tucked into his pocket - drink a pint and read his paper.
    http://youtu.be/I5PT65I2ny8 We'll be there again!!!!! (Anybody recognize Horslips?).

Please note: If anybody here wishes me to stop posting music - if I am annoying anybody - please feel free to tell me. I will be very happy to do so. Apologies in advance.

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    You just gave me a great laugh there yes I remember it well wasn't as lucky as you though I got a kick in the arse for trying that.
    Planning Mc - Planning! All down to planning (from 10 year olds). The staff didn't give a fcuk unless they SAW you. If they saw you, you got a kick, because they could then say "I did my job Sir"!

• Advertisement

Remember the horse trough's that were placed around town in days gone by ,one in particular was outside the Mansion House in Johnstown. CIE used to deliver their goods with a horse and trailer and around the mid 60s they changed to a tractor and trailer long before worries about global warming I remember older people saying the smog created by these machines would cause a lot of damage. How about the rag and bone man who would come around on a horse and trailer and give you plastic whistle's and other useless toys for old cloths My memory of him was he nearly always parked in Butchers Lane then just waste ground with big buildings fronting Newgate St that were always full of pigeons. What would now be regarded as racist there was a man who traded in everything at the corner of Butchers Lane and Barracks St. known as the Jew man. Mr. Wolfson was his name and he was a real gentleman always wore a hat and crombie coat as far as I can remember even in summertime. Always got a few bob from him for any old scrap.Going out to the dump looking for wheels off of old pramb's for trollies we made. How we survived those things flying down Convent Hill or if you were really brave down Bunkers Hill I will never know with only a stick for a brake. They were the cause for many a trip to the Infirmary which was across the road from the Mansion House and that horse trough that sticks in my memory.

Advertisement