Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things that used to be in waterford ya can remember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doctordon

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Remember the horse trough's that were placed around town in days gone by ,one in particular was outside the Mansion House in Johnstown. CIE used to deliver their goods with a horse and trailer and around the mid 60s they changed to a tractor and trailer long before worries about global warming I remember older people saying the smog created by these machines would cause a lot of damage. How about the rag and bone man who would come around on a horse and trailer and give you plastic whistle's and other useless toys for old cloths My memory of him was he nearly always parked in Butchers Lane then just waste ground with big buildings fronting Newgate St that were always full of pigeons. What would now be regarded as racist there was a man who traded in everything at the corner of Butchers Lane and Barracks St. known as the Jew man. Mr. Wolfson was his name and he was a real gentleman always wore a hat and crombie coat as far as I can remember even in summertime. Always got a few bob from him for any old scrap.Going out to the dump looking for wheels off of old pramb's for trollies we made. How we survived those things flying down Convent Hill or if you were really brave down Bunkers Hill I will never know with only a stick for a brake. They were the cause for many a trip to the Infirmary which was across the road from the Mansion House and that horse trough that sticks in my memory.
    We used to use the hill at Roanmore Park & Hennessy's Road for our carts. Christ - how nobody was killed, I'll never know.
    I remember our milk being delivered by a little old man in a beautiful cart drawn by a piebald pony. I can't remember the man's name, but he would fill your container directly from the churn. Do you remember the apple man who drove a small navy blue truck?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

doctordon wrote: »
    We used to use the hill at Roanmore Park & Hennessy's Road for our carts. Christ - how nobody was killed, I'll never know.
    I remember our milk being delivered by a little old man in a beautiful cart drawn by a piebald pony. I can't remember the man's name, but he would fill your container directly from the churn. Do you remember the apple man who drove a small navy blue truck?
    Yes I remember him very well his name was Christy Moore and he Hailed from Carrick On Suir where I now reside. On one of my first visits to Carrick in my courting days I actually met him standing at Dowley's corner while I was waiting for the bus back to Waterford he was standing there with a few of his old pals I Introduced myself to him and he could recall my mother very well. I can still hear him shouting in our front door which was always open " Any apples Mam'". They were the sweetest apples and sure he sold them for half nothing. He used to park down at the Apple Market every Friday a long time ago now. We used to get our milk from WILLIE Wall from Roanmore but I remember that milkman with the cart. Do you remember the Snowcream milk floats that ran on batteries. Gold Crust used to have a similar form of transport. We used to have great fun running past them as they weren't that fast. they were the days when there seemed to be more time and people weren't in such a hurry. Looking at the state of the country now you would have to wonder what all the rushing around was about. Here's another one the Pink Paraffin man and the free badges he used to give out. I never remember him refusing any of us when we were on the bum for a free badge's. For some reason he was always parked outside Mount Sion that's where we always tapped him and as I have said he never refused. Bridgie Walsh's shop smack in the middle of Mount Sion on Barrack St. Was in there one day when a rat along the shelves behind the counter and when one of the lads said Bridgie look at the rat she said they were only mice. I never eat sweets out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Going out to the dump looking for wheels off of old pramb's for trollies we made. How we survived those things flying down Convent Hill or if you were really brave down Bunkers Hill I will never know with only a stick for a brake.
    I remember it well, how I never ended up in Coughlan's kitchen at the end of the hill i'll never know.transport030.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

What was the name of that record shop upstairs in Shaws in the late 1980s?

Yes I remember him very well his name was Christy Moore and he Hailed from Carrick On Suir where I now reside. On one of my first visits to Carrick in my courting days I actually met him standing at Dowley's corner while I was waiting for the bus back to Waterford he was standing there with a few of his old pals I Introduced myself to him and he could recall my mother very well. I can still hear him shouting in our front door which was always open " Any apples Mam'". They were the sweetest apples and sure he sold them for half nothing. He used to park down at the Apple Market every Friday a long time ago now. We used to get our milk from WILLIE Wall from Roanmore but I remember that milkman with the cart. Do you remember the Snowcream milk floats that ran on batteries. Gold Crust used to have a similar form of transport. We used to have great fun running past them as they weren't that fast. they were the days when there seemed to be more time and people weren't in such a hurry. Looking at the state of the country now you would have to wonder what all the rushing around was about. Here's another one the Pink Paraffin man and the free badges he used to give out. I never remember him refusing any of us when we were on the bum for a free badge's. For some reason he was always parked outside Mount Sion that's where we always tapped him and as I have said he never refused. Bridgie Walsh's shop smack in the middle of Mount Sion on Barrack St. Was in there one day when a rat along the shelves behind the counter and when one of the lads said Bridgie look at the rat she said they were only mice. I never eat sweets out of there.
    OMG! I REMEMBER BRIDGIE'S WELL! We used to slide our hands between the window ledge and the window (there was a gap) Gawd only knew what you would you would pull out of the "display"! Do you remember the little sweet shop on the corner of Convent Hill and Barrack Street? Whatever the fad was, they had it - itching powder, sneezing powder, clackers, stink bombs, gally banders, pea shooters etc. Yep - you're right - the country has run amok!

• Advertisement

Jimmy Figgarty?

marlin vs wrote: »
    Going out to the dump looking for wheels off of old pramb's for trollies we made. How we survived those things flying down Convent Hill or if you were really brave down Bunkers Hill I will never know with only a stick for a brake.
    I remember it well, how I never ended up in Coughlan's kitchen at the end of the hill i'll never know.transport030.gif
    The 3 pools, between the dump and the Black rock. Great for fisning for Perch, Rudd and Pike. Ratting in the dump. Find an old mattress and turn it over. Rats would run everywhere and the dogs would go balistic!

Riding your bike with your hands off the handlebars. "Look Mammy - no teeth! HaHaHa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

FishBowel wrote: »
    What was the name of that record shop upstairs in Shaws in the late 1980s?

I remember it being "Mark's Music" but was it was called the "Vinyl Vault" also ??? I remember they had huge stocks of "NOW 4" on cassette for years............... :D

Riding your bike with your hands off the handlebars. "Look Mammy - no teeth! HaHaHa.

Yes you are definitely from my era, I'm still laughing at this one. We done an awful lot with very little

• Advertisement

marlin vs wrote: »

Nearly made the kitchen one day the door was wide open and the brakes failed went straight into the hall and bounced off the stairs. She never said a word just asked me was I alright. I knew the family very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Penny sticky apples in St Mary's Terrace and the moneyball shop around the corner.;)

Soaking Liquorice and "yellow nosed" bees!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

The swing down in the lawn. Anyone jumping on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

I remember pink chocolate. Why don't they make that stuff anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

FishBowel wrote: »
    I remember pink chocolate. Why don't they make that stuff anymore?

They do, you can get pink chocolate in Ardkeen Quality Foodstores. It's over the deli counter stand

Blaas from Harneys with lashings of Country Butter from Walls of Arundal Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

I found this in a drawer the other week.
    I don’t know how I did not get lung cancer on the top floor. It used to be thick with smoke, there was no ventilation at all.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc4/Ballybrickenman/IMG_0085.jpg

Blaas from Harneys with lashings of Country Butter from Walls of Arundal Square.

Walls of Arundel square remember their cream buns

Walls of Arundel square remember their cream buns
    I only ever bought Country Butter there. Christ, that was delicious!

• Advertisement

Writing your name on a wall, with an Ice Lolly stick and melting tar off the road, in Summer.:D

Going into the Funeral Directors on Barrack Street and asking "Have you any empty boxes?". :rolleyes:

Never did get the hang of it. Ouch! :mad:

http://youtu.be/FMwV62qwoGY

Cup of tea anyone?:p

http://youtu.be/XgoNSCgP6TA

My Grandmother used to smoke these - Look at the price!!!

http://youtu.be/xda8aut_GMU

Autobiographically speaking - I hate cussy pats!:eek:

http://youtu.be/xGb6lP4FVeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Have you ever thought about writing a blog doctor?

Have you ever thought about writing a blog doctor?
    I wouldn't know where to start!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Www.wordpress.com

Have a look around that site...you can set one up for free. You'll love it.

• Advertisement

Going into the Funeral Directors on Barrack Street and asking "Have you any empty boxes?". :rolleyes:

When my father died some of his drinking buddies from the Bar said to me my father was the only man to be carried out of Thomson's alive. Their attempt at homour still makes me laugh today. Incidentally the nick name on the bar was the Coffin shop. I remember when we were young there was no Funeral Parlour just a workshop that was fairly open and the coffins that Mr Murphy used to make there used to be placed around the walls of the workshop, we us to have bets which one of us would sneak in and get in to one of the coffin's well the once I tried it still give's me the creeps today. John Thomson's father was the owner then, he was forever standing at the front door with his black suit and bowler hat.

Advertisement